PDA

View Full Version : Ckd

kozen
06-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I have been doing a 50/25/25 to try to cut down but it doesnt seem to have been working. I have been contemplating about switching to the CKD, but after reading the articles, i am skeptical. I dont know if the food pyramid has me brainwashed, but how good ( in the long run) is the CKD for ones health? If there are no long term, or real negative affects, i will switch over to it.

raniali
06-10-2003, 02:57 PM
what is the 50/25/25 in reference to?

p/c/f
f/c/p
or what?

if you do a ckd correctly, and limit it's use for cutting ... i can't see any longterm negative health effects (unless you have some medical issues that would be problematic with ketone generation).

kozen
06-10-2003, 03:03 PM
in reference to p/c/f ratio. I have heard that one might experience brain fog/ slight retardation while on keto diets.. any truth to this??

raniali
06-10-2003, 03:06 PM
you need to do a search on wbb for ALL the keto threads -- as your concerns have all been brought up and addressed before.

yes, there is a brain fog. it usually disappears once you acclimate to keto-land. it takes the average person 1-3 weeks to first adjust but it will get easier the longer you do it.

additionally - what is your total caloric intake and what are your stats and goals?

rise
06-10-2003, 04:13 PM
took me about 2 days to get over the brain fog, then i felt like i was more awake! :D

bradley
06-10-2003, 04:22 PM
As far as weight loss is concerned there is really no advantage to following a ketogenic diet as compared to a more balanced diet. A ketogenic diet can have appetite suppressing effects and possible muscle sparing effects.

The cyclical approach can offer metabolic benefits when you get to ~15% and lower but this can accomplished with planned refeeds following a more balanced diet.

kozen
06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I am 5'10, 175, about 15-17 bf. Looking to drop down to 12-10 percent. My calorie intake right now is ~2200. I have tried cutting it gradually before and that proved unsuccessful. Eating clean, no cheat days, doign a 4 day split each week, and have been doing morning cardio ( swimming) on an empty stomach 5 times a week.

Scott S
06-10-2003, 06:16 PM
I've done keotgenic diets before.

Like rise, I found LESS brain fog after a couple days than before! No sugar crashes during class meant that I could pay much better attention. But it probably affects different people in different ways. Were I to do it again, I'd try to eat no more than 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight or so, because lots of excess protein can throw you out of ketosis just like sugar.

raniali
06-10-2003, 06:27 PM
read this thread about HIIT for cardio:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23970

on a keto diet, you will have to minimize cardio and lifting considerably. i LUV lifting - so that was a downside for me.

i might suggest altering the macro ratios - upping your fat (EFAs) and lowering protein. i would also suggest refeeding (or throwing a cheat meal in) once a week if you choose not to go the keto route. small things like this can make HUGE impacts from a dieting perspective.

kozen
06-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Well, i guess i will avoid keto. In December I suffered a major concussion, and ever since then it seems like im in a constant state of brain fog already. I dont want to worsten the effects. I will try to rearrange the macro nutrients to see if i get better results. How long should i wait before i see if it is working or not? I do not wish to spend a few months each time figuring out if the diet is working or not. 3-4 weeks?

Ace
06-11-2003, 09:22 AM
I extensively studied keto diets and the CKD in particular for about a month before I tried it. I was able to withstand the bad moods, feeling tired all the time, lack of energy for workouts, etc, for about 5.5 weeks. In this time, I was pretty strict except for the occasional beer binge on the weekends (we'll just count those as "refeeds" :) ). I went from 16.8% to 11.5% in that time frame and lost about 18 lbs. So, as you can see from the ratio of fat loss to overall weight loss, I kept a lot of muscle, but I also had some help from clen and ECA.

IMO, keto diets are a good way to lose weight fast so they hold some mental advantages, plus they maintain muscle mass pretty well if you incorporate all of the appropriate measures into the diet.

bradley
06-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by kozen
How long should i wait before i see if it is working or not? I do not wish to spend a few months each time figuring out if the diet is working or not. 3-4 weeks?

You should be able to see results after a week or two. Once you get the calorie level adjusted to where you are losing ~1lb. per week.

As Raniali mentioned, a planned refeed would be a good idea as well. This might help with any questions you have about refeeds.

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm