PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein?

Borgod Maxximus
06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Im just wondering if Im consuming TOO MUCH protein lately, as I want to bulk but after about a month into it Ive put on more fat than I wanted to.
Ive only just gotten back into training again and I probably should be trying to lose weight but I desperately want my bulkness and strength back upto what it was, then I'll begin cutting in 3 or so months.

Im 25, 6'4" and about 100kg (roughly 220lb)

After each workout (3 times a week) I consume about 100g of dextrose & 5g ofcreatine, then have a protein shake with about 60g of protein
I'll have another protein shake for breakfast with an additional 15g or so.
Meal 2 I'll usually have a chicken or tuna sandwich, then lunch (3) I'll have a decent meal with about 30 or 40g of protein.
In the arvo I'll try and have a home-made protein bar with about 20g of protein.
When I get home I'll workout, have another 60gprotein shake and depending on what I have for dinner, could be upto 50g of protein in that.

Im averaging between 200-250g of protein a day which to me sounds about right, but at the same time Ive noticed alot more fat than what Im used to, its giving me the ****s.
My strength is increasing really well and Im happy with that, but I wasnt expecting the bulking after-effects to be this bad.

Any ideas or opinions guy?

vandyman02
06-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm a little smaller than you (5'10, 160) but I too have been avergain around 200-250 grams of protein a day (I work at Smoothie King, we have 20 gallon tubs of whey in the back so its easy) and I have noticed similar things as you. My strength has increased, however i also seem to be gaining some unwanted bodyfat. In response to your question, however, make sure you drink plenty of water to help the kidneys process that protein, and don't take more than about 50 grams in a sitting, the body can't process more than that at one time.

Borgod Maxximus
06-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Yeah I try and drink as much water as I can during the day.

I didnt know I was having that much protein in one shake until I measured it out. The milk adds it up too.

What about dinner after my shake, how long should I wait after my protein shake before I should eat a meal with more protein in it?
I usually have to wait around 2 hours anyway cause Im so full after the shake.

bradley
06-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus
After each workout (3 times a week) I consume about 100g of dextrose & 5g ofcreatine, then have a protein shake with about 60g of protein

I would recommend splitting up your postworkout shake into a preworkout and postworkout shakes. I would take in about 25-35g of dextrose (maltodextrin if you have it) along with 10-15g of whey in a small amount of water. Then postworkout take in ~50g of dextrose and or maltodextrin along with ~25g of protein in water (creatine as well). Then about 2 hours later have a whole food meal.

Im averaging between 200-250g of protein a day which to me sounds about right, but at the same time Ive noticed alot more fat than what Im used to, its giving me the ****s.
My strength is increasing really well and Im happy with that, but I wasnt expecting the bulking after-effects to be this bad.

Any ideas or opinions guy? [/B]

I think the amount of protein you are taking in is fine given your current bodyweight. About 1g of protein per lb. of bw is all you really need. The excess protein is not going to really cause you to gain weight, but the excess cals will. You might need to cut down on the amount of calories you are consuming each day, but still continue eating about 220g of protein per day.

I notice that you are getting a lot of your protein from shakes and bars which could be one of the reasons for your stomach problems. This could also be from the milk that you are mixing the protein shakes in (lactose intolerant). I would recommend trying to get more of your protein from whole foods and maybe limiting the shake to pre/postworkout unless you are crunched for time or having trouble getting in your protein for the day.

bradley
06-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by vandyman02
My strength has increased, however i also seem to be gaining some unwanted bodyfat.

Excess calories is what is responsible for the weight gain, not neccessarily just the protein.

In response to your question, however, make sure you drink plenty of water to help the kidneys process that protein, and don't take more than about 50 grams in a sitting, the body can't process more than that at one time.

There is no fixed amount of protein the body can absorb. It will absorb whatever you put into it. It is just a matter of time.

bradley
06-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus
What about dinner after my shake, how long should I wait after my protein shake before I should eat a meal with more protein in it?

2 hours should be fine.