PDA

View Full Version : White Rice vs. Brown Rice

Saint Patrick
06-11-2003, 03:09 AM
I just realized that the GI rating for white rice is only a couple points higher than brown. I know that brown has more nutrients and such, but I like the taste of white rice a lot better, and I was avoiding it because I thought it was really starchy like Potatoes and Bagels.

D&G
06-11-2003, 06:30 AM
It lacks fibre

BobbyRS
06-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Milling is the primary difference between brown and white rice. The varieties may be identical, but it is in the milling process where brown rice becomes white rice. Milling, often called "whitening", removes the outer bran layer of the rice grain.

What does that do to the rice grain? Does milling affect the nutritional quality of the rice? The answer to this question is YES. Milling strips off the bran layer, leaving a core comprised of mostly carbohydrates. In this bran layer resides nutrients of vital importance in the diet, making white rice a poor competitor in the nutrition game The following chart shows the nutritional differences between brown and white rices. Fiber is dramatically lower in white rice, as are the oils, most of the B vitamins, and important minerals.

http://www.drlam.com/opinion/brown_rice_vs_white_rice.cfm

Saint Patrick
06-11-2003, 03:59 PM
I get enough fiber and vitamins in my diet already. I know brown rice is better, but my point is, that white rice isn't exactly bad.