PDA

View Full Version : A question bradley will probably find easy to answer..

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I weigh 135lbs and im bulking, doing weights 3 times a week for 45 mins.
I have a very fast metabolism, im 5'11'' and my natural weight before i started lifting last oct was around 125lbs

For some1 like me is it ok to eat 3500 cals, healthy food obviously.Balanced @ 50% carb 25% protein 25% fat or as close as it comes, since im basically according to one thread able to gain lean mass simply by eating in calorific excess.

I have heard of ppl in my position eating these cals, and one of the members who started on my weight gained 30lbs of lean mass in about 4-5 months on it.
Anthony Ellis also ate 3500-4000 cals a day and gained 24lbs of proper muscle (excludes his 8lb creatine gain)
Since i started eating big (i started wrong eating too little protein and doing too many exercises) i went from 2500 to 3000 and now up to 3500, and most of my biggest gains have been very recent since i sorted my routine and diet out.

I understand it will take time for anything definate to show in my own gains, but in your knowledge do you think this is ok? or is the eating BIG overrated and just for the animals at Bodybuilding.com who post there daily 9 meal diets of 80,000 cals and dont forget that 5 gallons of water...:burger:

bradley
06-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
For some1 like me is it ok to eat 3500 cals, healthy food obviously.Balanced @ 50% carb 25% protein 25% fat or as close as it comes, since im basically according to one thread able to gain lean mass simply by eating in calorific excess.

Yes I think it is fine for someone your size to eat that many cals, as long as you are not putting on a significant amount of bf. Eating above maintenance calories will allow you to gain weight and gaining weight at a slow rate will help ensure that you are gaining minimal amounts of bf. The macronutrien ratios are really not that important as long as you are taking in enough protein and EFAs.

I have heard of ppl in my position eating these cals, and one of the members who started on my weight gained 30lbs of lean mass in about 4-5 months on it.
Anthony Ellis also ate 3500-4000 cals a day and gained 24lbs of proper muscle (excludes his 8lb creatine gain)

30lbs of LBM in 4-5 months would be quite an achievement for someone who is natural, and these results are definitely not typical. That is over a 1lb. per week gain of LBM and I think someone using AAS would have a hard time keeping up with those types of gains.

Since i started eating big (i started wrong eating too little protein and doing too many exercises) i went from 2500 to 3000 and now up to 3500, and most of my biggest gains have been very recent since i sorted my routine and diet out.

I understand it will take time for anything definate to show in my own gains, but in your knowledge do you think this is ok? or is the eating BIG overrated and just for the animals at Bodybuilding.com who post there daily 9 meal diets of 80,000 cals and dont forget that 5 gallons of water...:burger:

You do not necessarily have to eat everything in sight to gain weight. Just eat slightly over your maintenance calories and concentrate on gaining weight at a slow rate. It sounds as though you have your diet on track and IMO it is not a good idea to compare your gains with someone elses. Everyone one is different and some people put on muscle easier than others. Just because you are eating 8,000 cals a day does not mean that you are going to gain 2x the muscle that you would eating 4,000cals a day. You will probably however add quite a large amount of bf. As Yates says, 'you cannot force feed muscle growth.';)

drew
06-11-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm just wondering. Would eating at a maintenance level help gain muscle (albeit at a slower rate) while gaining even less fat?

bradley
06-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by drew
I'm just wondering. Would eating at a maintenance level help gain muscle (albeit at a slower rate) while gaining even less fat?

You could possibly gain a small amount of muscle eating at maintenance, but it would not be a significant gain. Someone who is new to training or using AAS would probably see some gains but an experienced trainer more than likely would not.

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 03:29 PM
my recent gains have been good since i kept a solid 3000 cals going in, my bf never seems to go up.If anything im leaner since my LBM has increased and my bf has stayed pretty much the same.

Does the fact that i have a fast metabolism give me any edge in protein synthesis or the ability to convert food into tisue?

I realise that 3500 excess cals is required to produce 1lb of muscle, and since im eating 7000 cals excess per week i would like to test these results.
As u say everyone is different, but there is still links, id be interested to see if this works for me.
Ill start to monitor results and post anything i find...

I live in the uk and im looking for somehwere to get skinfold calipers anyone know where i can buy one? preferably a shop ...

cheers bradley, good answers as usual:thumbup:

raniali
06-11-2003, 03:40 PM
i may not be bradley - but i think you might see better gains by adjusting your macros by adding more fats into your diet. i think diets should focus around adequate protein and enough EFAs, with the remainder coming from carbs.

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 03:49 PM
ive boosted my fats already, i eat probably more than i stated in my breakdown. I always aimed to keep carbs about 50% and the rest would just be protein and fats.
My fats will come from

Salmon (when i can afford it all again, ive been skint this week)
Peanuts
healthy spread
walnut oil (just a sip if i dont have any nuts.)

Im lactose intolerant so no milk, or cheese, yoghurt etc.. i dont know why but even yoghurt makes me bloat and drowsy, isnt it sposed to be digested milk?? :(

What would you recommend as a lactose free post workout meal?
ive been suggested tuna mixed with carrot juice, as 1 option.

At the moment i eat a banana followed by 4 eggs and some nuts.

raniali
06-11-2003, 03:50 PM
does whey protein bother u?
i think a soluble protein and quick carb source is the ultimate post workout meal.

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 04:00 PM
i had a whey protein mix, it was a strawberry flavoured powder that tasted awful with milk and 50 times worse in water.
Basically i used it all up (which did nothing @ the time apart from make me feel ill twice a day and bloat me) i then found out about my lactose intolerance a bit late of course :cry:

Is it soemthing you can buy totally plain? like egg whites powder, or is it just available in shake flavoured mixes.
I was thinking of trying a soy based mix because they can be used in water. But i dont know how they rate compared to whey and casein etc.

I would really like to stick to food for all my needs rather than supplements, unless there is a significant benefit from the supplelment.

All ideas welcome!:p

raniali
06-11-2003, 04:06 PM
i am not lactose-intolerant, but i find that MANY (actually most) whey proteins make me nauseaus ... however, like anything else, it's a trial-n-error and i have maybe 2 brands now that i can drink. i ONLY use water with my shakes so i completely understand the taste issue (since that is much of the reason they make me ill).

there are plenty of "plain" or vanilla-flavored powders out there (although i haven't found one i can drink) - and not all powders use the same types of protein (isolates, caseinates, etc.). there are soy-based powders, but they are even more expensive than a good whey powder.

if you choose to eat real food instead of a shake - drop the fats from your post workout meal. post workout should only be easily digested protein and quick carb source (you need to get the nutrients into the muscles ASAP).

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Wow im glad u just said that...i was about to start on my nuts... im eating my LEG DAY post w/o meal right now...

ill just have them later b4 i hit the sack...is that ok?

raniali
06-11-2003, 04:15 PM
are u eating whole eggs or just the whites for post w/o?

wait at least an hour or so after training, then feel free to eat all the fat you want. make sure your post w/o meal is digested.

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 04:20 PM
i eat 4 whole eggs, why?? and i have the banana before them...

raniali
06-11-2003, 04:22 PM
4 whole eggs = 16 g fat
drop the fat for post w/o

AlexBBbegginer
06-11-2003, 04:27 PM
ok how about a tin of tuna and a banana? (100g of tuna)

bradley
06-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Does the fact that i have a fast metabolism give me any edge in protein synthesis or the ability to convert food into tisue?

Well the fact that you have a fast metabolism probably means that you are lean to begin with. A person with a lower bf will gain more LBM than fat compared to a person with a higher bf given the same degree of overfeeding. Although some people with fast metabolisms find that they have to eat larger amounts of food to make any significant gains.

Your bodies hormones will be the main determing factor of the ratio of LBM to fat.

bradley
06-11-2003, 05:07 PM
ive boosted my fats already, i eat probably more than i stated in my breakdown. I always aimed to keep carbs about 50% and the rest would just be protein and fats.
My fats will come from

I would go just the opposite of what you are doing now. Make sure you get in plenty of protein and EFAs and then fill in the rest of your cals with carbs.

Salmon (when i can afford it all again, ive been skint this week)
Peanuts
healthy spread
walnut oil (just a sip if i dont have any nuts.)

When you run out of walnut oil you might consider going with fish oil which would be a better source of supplemental fats IMO.

Im lactose intolerant so no milk, or cheese, yoghurt etc.. i dont know why but even yoghurt makes me bloat and drowsy, isnt it sposed to be digested milk?? :(

Yogurt is semi-fermented milk but it still contains lactose.

What would you recommend as a lactose free post workout meal?
ive been suggested tuna mixed with carrot juice, as 1 option.

At the moment i eat a banana followed by 4 eggs and some nuts.

Have you tried you using a whey protein isolate instead of whey protein concentrate?

I would recommend for postworkout nutrition ~50-60g of high GI carbs (dextrose/maltodextrin) along with ~25-30g of an easily digestible protein (whey).

Preworkout nutrition is also important and IMO ~25g carbs and ~10-15g of whey in a small amount of water, taken about 30 minutes before training would be ideal. Then have a whole food meal about 2 hours later.

bradley
06-11-2003, 05:10 PM
ok how about a tin of tuna and a banana? (100g of tuna)

That would be better but if you are going with whole foods I would add in more carbs. Maybe some white rice or white bread, along with the banana. Basically just something that is high on the GI.

AlexBBbegginer
06-12-2003, 02:44 AM
how about raisins? there pretty much 100% glucose....

so 100g tuna, 1 banana and a handful of raisins.

What is the whey protein isolate?
is it non flavoured?
cost?

bradley
06-12-2003, 03:09 AM
how about raisins? there pretty much 100% glucose....

The raisins are not that high on the GI (around 68 I believe) where as white bread, white rice, bagels, etc would be higher on the GI. This probably does not matter in the big picture as long as you are getting adequate amounts of carbs postworkout.

What is the whey protein isolate?
is it non flavoured?
cost?

In a nutshell the whey protein isolate is a more concentrated source of protein. I believe the whey protein concentrate contains ~5-6% lactoste where as whey protein isolate contains <1% lactose. I would usually recommend someone using concentrate over isolate unless they are lactose intolerant.

The isolate will cost more than the concentrate and you should be able to find it in a variety of flavors.

AlexBBbegginer
06-12-2003, 03:19 AM
whats the most barable flavour to mix with water??

cos strawberry and chocolate = :alcoholic :eek: :eek: :eek: :cry: :cry:

bradley
06-12-2003, 03:37 AM
whats the most barable flavour to mix with water??

cos strawberry and chocolate = :alcoholic :eek: :eek: :eek: :cry: :cry:

I have found that chocolate is usually the best IMO and vanilla coming in a close second. I generally stay away from the more exotic flavors. It is really a trial and error process. Just don't buy a big tub until you are sure of the flavor;)

BTW the reason the above post says it was last edited by me was because I accidentally clicked edit post instead of quote:( No changes were made to your post.