PDA

View Full Version : Cardio while bulking

Khar
06-11-2003, 06:25 PM
I am just starting a very slow bulk to minimize fat gain and try to put on only LBM, I want to continue to do my cardio 2x a week on Tuesday and Thursday, a good paced 4 mile run to stay in shape for lacrosse. How will this affect the bulk? Should I have a protien/dextrose shake after I run to make up for the lost calories, and to avoid my body to enter a catabolic state? Or should I eat before hand? I just want the cardiovascular benefits of running to stay in shape without detrimental effects to the bulk.

pusher
06-11-2003, 06:41 PM
As long as you consume a decent amount of calories over your maintenance, you should be fine on a bulk. Basically you will be burning more calories during the cardio, so you probably would need to eat more to compensate. I would suggest that you eat a regular meal instead of the shake after your cardio. But it wouldn't hurt you to take a post workout protein+carb shake to replenish glycogen stores. JMHO.

AJ_11
06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Try HIIT cardio.

GhettoSmurf
06-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Try HIIT cardio.

i totally agree with the HIIT.

Khar
06-11-2003, 08:22 PM
I know what HIIT is and understand how to do it, but what will this do for me during bulking that normal cardio won't as far as keeping LBM...?

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 04:29 AM
well doing normal cardio will burn MORE calories then HIIT. And when your bulking you want calories. Plus IMO HIIT not only burns lss calories, but can burn more fat.

SoulOfKoRea
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM
it utilizes fat oxidation whereas normal 30+ minutes of cardio will be a bit more catabolic