PDA

View Full Version : Oils, fats, etc.

KingJustin
06-11-2003, 08:11 PM
I don't get enough fats and it's time I started to...

Right now I have around 40g of fat from all my foods, mainly from eggs and non-natty PB. I'm going to start having natty PB for Breakfast (mixing it with my shake), but I also figured I'd try having a couple tablespoons of oil. Ok, the question is, what kinds of oils can I take in? I've heard, from fairly reliable sources:
Olive Oil
Flax Oil
Fish Oil
...and I can't find any of these at my supermarket, and going to GNC is a bit of a chore. Will Vegetable Oil work, and how much is the minimum/maximum I should take of it a day? Thanks.

Oh, while we're at it, I'm going to start eating fish. I've always hated fish, but I'm going to give it a try.... What kind of fish tastes the least awful and is the healthiest/highest in protien?

Thanks

MrWebb78
06-11-2003, 08:14 PM
one gross but easy way is to do a shot of oil....make sure its olive, coconut, or canola.

if you supplement with oil, the fish/flax oil caps can be bought online or at any health food store, and drug strores such as long's or rite aid.

Behemoth
06-11-2003, 10:32 PM
wally worlds got flax

Monster Muscle
06-12-2003, 02:11 AM
toss some olive oil in your shake, it's pretty much tastless in a shake, but flax seed oil isn't.

bradley
06-12-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Bizatch
Ok, the question is, what kinds of oils can I take in? I've heard, from fairly reliable sources:
Olive Oil
Flax Oil
Fish Oil

The three you listed above would be good choices, and fish oil would probably be the most beneficial because of the EPA/DHA content.

Will Vegetable Oil work, and how much is the minimum/maximum I should take of it a day?

I would not recommend supplementing with vegetable oil. You should be able to find fish oil caps at your local supermarket or Wal-Mart. This would be the ideal oil to supplement with and 6-8g of fish oil per day would be a good start.

Most people get plenty of omega 6 fats in their diet so there is really no need to supplement with more. Omega 3s are the ones that most people need more of and adding a fish oil supplement will help make sure you are getting the neccessary amount in your diet.

If you find that you still need more fat in your diet after adding in the fish oil caps then you could add in some olive oil as well. Olive oil contains mostly omega 9s which are kind of like a "neutral" fat where as the ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s is important.

Oh, while we're at it, I'm going to start eating fish. I've always hated fish, but I'm going to give it a try.... What kind of fish tastes the least awful and is the healthiest/highest in protien?

Salmon is an excellent source of both protein and healthy fats. The salmon filets are good but the canned salmon can be a little rough.

bradley
06-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
one gross but easy way is to do a shot of oil....make sure its olive, coconut, or canola.

I would not consider canola oil a good oil to supplement with.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/14/con_ola1.htm

manowar669
06-12-2003, 12:24 PM
I would not choose coconut oil, this is a "tropical oil", like palm kernel oil, and should be avoided like part-hydro oils, and trans-fats. Canola is supposed to have omega-3s. My source for this is Gina K. Thornburg, writing for Muscle & Fitness. Just what I read.

AlexBBbegginer
06-12-2003, 12:27 PM
but fish oils have are a superior source of omega 3 EFAs, im sure bradley can explain in great detail why, i just know however.

restless
06-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by manowar669
I would not choose coconut oil, this is a "tropical oil", like palm kernel oil, and should be avoided like part-hydro oils, and trans-fats. Canola is supposed to have omega-3s. My source for this is Gina K. Thornburg, writing for Muscle & Fitness. Just what I read.

Coconut oil is fine, it has no hydrogenated or trans fatty acids it's mostly saturated fat and it's of the right kind too. Canola, on the other hand.....

restless
06-12-2003, 02:37 PM
And muscle and fitness??

tuttut

Coconut oil has a wealth of health benefits and it's a great addition to one's diet when cutting due to it's thyroid boosting properties.

bradley
06-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by manowar669
Canola is supposed to have omega-3s. My source for this is Gina K. Thornburg, writing for Muscle & Fitness. Just what I read.

Yes canola oil has some omega 3s but I would not consider this a good source of omega 3 fatty acids because of the fact that canola oil/rape seed oil is mostly monounsaturated fat. According to the link below 7% of the fat in canola oil is omega 3 fatty acids. If you are trying to boost the amount of omega 3s in your diet you are better off sticking to fish oil, which is high in EPA/DHA.

http://www.curezone.com/foods/fatspercent.asp

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Canola is processed to high hell.

pruneman
06-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Yes canola oil has some omega 3s but I would not consider this a good source of omega 3 fatty acids because of the fact that canola oil/rape seed oil is mostly monounsaturated fat.

How's rape seed oil tast?:D

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by pruneman

How's rape seed oil tast?:D

never tried it. ive even looked for it in my gorcery store and couldnt find any :(

bradley
06-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

never tried it. ive even looked for it in my gorcery store and couldnt find any :(

rape seed oil=canola oil

Mystic Eric
06-13-2003, 04:04 AM
Your best ideas for fats are:

Olive oil, udo's blend ('cause it has the omega 3's as well) and fish oil.

Olive oil is great because it's a great partitioner of nutrients into cells, lowers bile levels, and maintains healthy Ph levels in our stomach which in turns lowers the risk of ulcers.

Oh, and you can find Olive oil in the super market (make sure you get the glass bottled ones) and you can find udo's blend and fish oil caps at a nutrition store.

bradley
06-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
Your best ideas for fats are:

Olive oil, udo's blend ('cause it has the omega 3's as well) and fish oil.

Olive oil is great because it's a great partitioner of nutrients into cells, lowers bile levels, and maintains healthy Ph levels in our stomach which in turns lowers the risk of ulcers.

Oh, and you can find Olive oil in the super market (make sure you get the glass bottled ones) and you can find udo's blend and fish oil caps at a nutrition store.

Why supplement with Udo's when most people already get plenty of omega 6 fatty acids through their diet? You would be better off IMO just supplementing with fish oils and would also save some money in the process.

SquareHead
06-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Could some one out line the major benefits of efa's and oils in general as they apply to body building. Thanks

Mystic Eric
06-13-2003, 01:33 PM

Why supplement with Udo's when most people already get plenty of omega 6 fatty acids through their diet? You would be better off IMO just supplementing with fish oils and would also save some money in the process.

You're right bradley. Thing is though, have you seen any fish oil caps that have a large amount of omega 3's in them? The ones I bought were a joke 'cause I have to take like 25 of them a day to get to 8 or so grams of omega 3's lol. The Udo's has lots of omega 3's though however, in each spoon.

AJ_11
06-13-2003, 02:01 PM

True, but the o6 are processed and people don't see the benefits of them. I still think some o-6 coming from unprocessed oils is a good addition. Most people that supplement with flax becasue of the o 3 are potentially becoming o 6 deprived, depending on diet.

Balance is Key. Udo's also contains some Linolic Acid(o 9) and MCT's, GLA, which are also beneficial.

bradley
06-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

You're right bradley. Thing is though, have you seen any fish oil caps that have a large amount of omega 3's in them? The ones I bought were a joke 'cause I have to take like 25 of them a day to get to 8 or so grams of omega 3's lol. The Udo's has lots of omega 3's though however, in each spoon.

The two that I have seen with the highest concentrations of EPA/DHA are from NOW foods and Twinlab.

NOW foods
360mg EPA/240mg DHA per softgel

Twinlab
234mg EPA/156 DHA

I understand what you are saying though. It gets old carrying around a handful of fish oil caps when you have to eat on the go:)

AJ_11
06-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by SquareHead
Could some one out line the major benefits of efa's and oils in general as they apply to body building. Thanks

There are many benefits to efa supplementation not just to BB but to optimal health and hormonal balance. Fats are needed by the body in order to survive, go to mercola.com and there is a tonne of info about the imporatnce of fats.

bradley
06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by SquareHead

Here is one article about the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/13/omega3_fats.htm

bradley
06-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11

True, but the o6 are processed and people don't see the benefits of them. I still think some o-6 coming from unprocessed oils is a good addition. Most people that supplement with flax becasue of the o 3 are potentially becoming o 6 deprived, depending on diet.

Yes, but they ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s is important and that is the reason that I mentioned the increased intake of omega 6s. If you are really wanting a good balance of omega 6 to omega 3 you could also go with hemp oil but I still think supplemental omega 6 fats are not necessary for the majority of people.

I don't think most people will have to worry about becoming deprived of omega 6s unless they are getting the majority of their dietary fat from flax.

Balance is Key. Udo's also contains some Linolic Acid(o 9) and MCT's, GLA, which are also beneficial.

Agreed:)