PDA

View Full Version : Protein Intake

Linuxguy
06-11-2003, 10:36 PM
As I've said in my other thread about circuit training, I've been reading this May's Men's Fitness. Along with the Circuit Training article, there was one on protein intake.

The article suggests:
7 a.m. - Six egg whites and one yolk
10 a.m - One package original Myoplex
1 p.m. - 6oz salmon
4 p.m. - 12oz nonfat milk, 2oz turkey breast (pre-work out
6:30 p.m. - protein shake (post-work out)
8 p.m. - 4oz Belgian Blue beef
11 p.m. - 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese

I'm home from college for summer break and I'd really like to add some strength and lose weight. While, I'd have to adjust this schedule to meet my day, should I be looking at something along these lines?

Is this too much protein or not enough?

Approx. how much will this cost me and are its effects worth the investment.

I'd love to hear opinions, thank you

LG

YellowJacket
06-11-2003, 10:41 PM
It doesnt tell the macronutrient breakdown? You'll have to adjust it if you're cutting and low carb it....

Linuxguy
06-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reply YellowJacket. Don't think me rude, but I don't know what you mean by macronutrient breakdown. Could you please explain?

Thank you

LG

YellowJacket
06-11-2003, 11:05 PM
amount of protein/fat/carbs in the sample diet....

restless
06-12-2003, 12:40 AM
use www.fitday.com

bradley
06-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Linuxguy
The article suggests:
7 a.m. - Six egg whites and one yolk
10 a.m - One package original Myoplex
1 p.m. - 6oz salmon
4 p.m. - 12oz nonfat milk, 2oz turkey breast (pre-work out
6:30 p.m. - protein shake (post-work out)
8 p.m. - 4oz Belgian Blue beef
11 p.m. - 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese

The above diet is pretty much all protein. You would definitely need to add some fat to the diet, and make sure that you get plenty of essential fatty acids. You might could add in some fish oil, olive oil, or nuts to help boost the fat content of the diet.

I would also recommend adding in a protein/carb shake both pre and postworkout. The preworkout shake should contain ~25g of carbs (maltodextrin would be a good choice) along with ~10-15g of whey mixed in a small amount of water. The postworkout shake would be more of the same with larger amounts of carbs and protein (~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein).

There is really no need to eat over 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. You could probably get away with decreasing the amount of protein in the above diet and adding in some low GI carbs.