PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal in protien shake??

NO2
06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
what kind of benefits r there for putting oAtmeal in a protien shake???

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 10:35 AM
can help make it thicker. can help slow the adsorbtion of the whey. can help add carbs to a protein shake.

Saint Patrick
06-12-2003, 04:28 PM
:withstupi

What he said. It's also a good way to add calories when bulking.

CBates
06-12-2003, 04:35 PM
None other than possible making it thicker, and that doesn't always work, the few times I tried it, most of the oats sunk to the bottom of my shake before I even had a chance to drink it.

YellowJacket
06-12-2003, 04:38 PM
None? Oatmeal is a great idea post workout, you get your carbs but not the drastic insulin response...

CBates
06-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Oatmeal isn't that great of an idea post workout, if you ideally want high gi carbs afterwards, but I guess everybody has their own opinions on that. Also the fiber in the oats will slow the digestion of the protein as well. If you're eating for a meal, then I guess it would be fine due to the fiber slowing the digestion of the protein, but for post workout, you'd probably want a different source of carbs, which the poster never mention what this was for so....

Edit:
Also, eating soggy oats out of the bottom of the cup after the protein is gone doesn't taste all that great..

YellowJacket
06-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by CBates
Oatmeal isn't that great of an idea post workout, if you ideally want high gi carbs afterwards, but I guess everybody has their own opinions on that. Also the fiber in the oats will slow the digestion of the protein as well. If you're eating for a meal, then I guess it would be fine due to the fiber slowing the digestion of the protein, but for post workout, you'd probably want a different source of carbs, which the poster never mention what this was for so....

Edit:
Also, eating soggy oats out of the bottom of the cup after the protein is gone doesn't taste all that great..

The oatmeal is usually or should be grinded to make it finer. This helps in the digestion and mixing capabilities. Having oatmeal forces the body to be more efficient in handling it's incoming carbs.

AJ_11
06-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Not this topic again, there is an ongoing debate about this on another board and it was mentioned here b4. IMHO, I feel alot better taking in whey+Oatmeal post workout. Carbs are carbs, and whether they are coming from low-high gi will get to the bloodstream and used as replenishing glycogen stores.

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Not this topic again, there is an ongoing debate about this on another board and it was mentioned here b4. IMHO, I feel alot better taking in whey+Oatmeal post workout. Carbs are carbs, and whether they are coming from low-high gi will get to the bloodstream and used as replenishing glycogen stores.

lets not start this again :rolleyes:

bradley
06-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11

Agreed, but the increased insulin response will have anobolic effects as well and will also increase the rate at which glycogen is replenished.

Using a combination of low and high GI carbs might be ideal if you were not planning on consuming a meal 90-120 minutes postworkout but otherwise I would go with high GI. As you said it all comes down to calories in the end.

bradley
06-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by YellowJacket
Having oatmeal forces the body to be more efficient in handling it's incoming carbs.

Could you go into a little more detail:)

Mystic Eric
06-13-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by CBates

Edit:

There was actually a huge thread on avantlabs with a bunch of guys spewing scientific stuff with studies to back it up that says low GI carbs would be ok after a workout. I'll dig it up tomorrw but as for now, I'm going to bed.

hemants
06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
In my morning shake (made in a blender) I use oat bran while cutting and organic oatmeal while bulking.

AJ_11
06-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Here you are Eric, Its not Avants but this is the thread that started it anyways.

Anabolic Thread (http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2930)

Big & Tall
06-13-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm not going to continue the pwo debate, but for those who do make oat shakes, how do you get the oats fine enough to not settle out immediately? The few times I have tried it, my blender didn't really do the trick and the shake was disgustingly chunky. Now, I know not all bodybuilding foods are going to taste like a gourmet meal, but if I could make these shakes so they didn't make me want to vomit, life would be better.

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Big & Tall
I'm not going to continue the pwo debate, but for those who do make oat shakes, how do you get the oats fine enough to not settle out immediately? The few times I have tried it, my blender didn't really do the trick and the shake was disgustingly chunky. Now, I know not all bodybuilding foods are going to taste like a gourmet meal, but if I could make these shakes so they didn't make me want to vomit, life would be better.

mine usually does the trick. i just dump everything in , and blend on high for about 10-20 seconds. and then i let it set for about a moinute (so some of the oats will settle) and then i blend it again for 10-20 seconds. that usually does the trick.

Big & Tall
06-13-2003, 10:37 AM
I think it's high time I buy a better blender then.

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 10:57 AM
I think it's high time I buy a better blender then.

what about buying some quick 1-minute oats? ones that are all ready smaller then normal oats? i think the GI might be a little higher (only becuase the are processed a bit more), but it might make the shakes more bearable.

Big & Tall
06-13-2003, 11:10 AM
yeah, I normally get the quick oats (I think the GI difference is negligable), but my blender is teh suck.

AJ_11
06-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Instead of oats you can use a sweet potatoe, cooked. Keep it in the fridge and blend it with some whey and the sh!t taste amazing. Kinda like pumpkin Pie. Another ideal is you can cook your oats and eat it with some whey. But you will need a bleder for the sweet potatoe recipe.

Big & Tall
06-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Damnit, now I wish I was bulking. ****ing CKD :mad:

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 12:49 PM
if your doing a CKD, what are you doing eating oatmeal in a shake?

Big & Tall
06-13-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm not, that's my point. But it's carb-up time now! Pasta pasta pasta!!! :drooling:

AJ_11
06-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Damnit, now I wish I was bulking. ****ing CKD :mad: :confused:

Manveet
06-13-2003, 07:00 PM
http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=3235

that's the thread Eric was talking about.

bradley
06-14-2003, 05:14 AM
Bump for YellowJacket:D

Holto
06-19-2003, 02:52 PM
ditto

spl_373
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
I dont blame YJ for not responding, I mean, hes explained the reasoning many times in great detail....people have even posted links to the site where it has been discussed to death.

bradley
06-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by spl_373
I dont blame YJ for not responding, I mean, hes explained the reasoning many times in great detail....people have even posted links to the site where it has been discussed to death.

I have not seen him post anything on this board relating to the topic in question. I am not trying to start an argument, and I would like to know his reasoning behind the statement. If you have the link would you post it? Thanks in advance:)

Saint Patrick
06-20-2003, 11:29 PM
:lurk:

spl_373
06-22-2003, 01:45 PM
no your right, he hasnt discussed it at all on this forum, to my knowledge anyways, mostly over on anabolics.

YellowJacket
06-23-2003, 03:33 AM
Sorry for getting to this late, here's the link that will explain much more than I could in a short post:

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2930

I apologize if you have to register to view it, but its actually worth it...