PDA

View Full Version : Just another tactic in the fattening up of America....

Tryska
06-13-2003, 08:31 AM
So my water was cut off yesterday - i think their might have been a water main break or something in the middle of yesterday's thunderstorms.

so i was looking in my fridge to see if there was any water there, and i ran across this bottle of tonic water that apparently my friend has left there, along with a sports cup filled with vodka (i think it was). anyhoo - i figured hey - i can wash my hands in tonic water so that's cool. Then i remembered how much i hated tonic water as a kid, because of the quinine, so i tasted some.

it's wasn't jsut medicinal tasting, it was SWEET medicianl tasting. So i looked at the label - 2nd ingredient below water? High Fructose Corn Syrup!

is nothing sacred? youc an't even have a neat vodka tonic without sugar in it?

i'm beginnign to wonder if America's tastebuds really are geared so much to sweetness that everything must taste sweet in order ot be palatable?

another example - those bottled marinades for meats and whatnot - why do all of them taste sweet? do people really like sweet-tasting meat?

it's kinda driving me nuts - all this sugar getting snuck in here and there.

/rant

MonkeyBoy
06-13-2003, 08:36 AM
ohh man why did you have to tell me that...

Tryska
06-13-2003, 08:38 AM
i know - it didn't even mention on the bottle that it was sweetened - and it was Canada Dry for crying out loud.

i'm sure to most of you this means nothing, but when one thinks of the other uses for tonic water, it jsut kinda irritates me. it's liek if they snuck sweetener into seltzer water without tellign you.

Paul Stagg
06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
That's why there are two clear carbonated waters - club soda, and tonic.

Club Soda is not sweetened.

Tonic is.

So it does tell you on the label. :)

Tryska
06-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Tonic isn't supposed to be sweetened tho - it's supposed to just be water and quinine. dammit.

club soda doesn't have quinine.

Paul Stagg
06-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Nope - it's sweetened, too (could be to help soften the bitter taste of quinine?)

At least that's how I understand the difference.

Tryska
06-13-2003, 09:38 AM
well obviously it's sweetened now, but original tonic water was just water and quinine, to be drank with gin, by the Brits when they first came to India. it was used to fend off malaria.

somewhere along the line, someone decided it needed to be sweetened to appeal to our current tastebuds.

Paul Stagg
06-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Could be.

I looked around on the web, and every tonic I find has corn syrup in it, and every club soda doesn't.

Tryska
06-13-2003, 09:44 AM
i know - i'm looking too.

i could swear they didn't back when i was little tho.

AlexBBbegginer
06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

'i could swear they didn't back when i was little tho.'

was that when the brits first came to india?

Tryska
06-13-2003, 10:12 AM
pfft. no.

my grandfather was an officer int he Indian Army tho. he drank gin and tonics all the time. and used to give me tonic water mixed with fresh squeezed lime juice to drink with him when he was taking his evening cocktail. I was like 2 or 3 or 4, and used to whine and cry and beg for some sugar in it.

Saint Patrick
06-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
well obviously it's sweetened now, but original tonic water was just water and quinine, to be drank with gin

somewhere along the line, someone decided it needed to be sweetened to appeal to our current tastebuds.

She's right. I used to drink my mom's tonic water as a kid and I remember it being the most nasty bitter thing I've ever had. Definitely not sweet at all.

Senor Quack
06-14-2003, 05:25 PM
You can get diet tonic water (made by Canada Dry, I believe). It's sweetened with sacharrine, so it's not the bitter taste you're probably after, though.

LAM
06-14-2003, 05:55 PM
I saw maltodextrin in the sugar free jelly at the supermarket...lol

Tank23
06-14-2003, 09:01 PM
They probably use splenda in it......splenda contains maltodextrin

Just some girl
06-14-2003, 10:53 PM
are a few grams of sugar in tonic water really going to make that much difference? and if you're worrying about drinking it with alcohol, one isn't beint that strict at that point anyway, so why does it matter? i tend to see this as being overly anal.

unless of course you are merely concerned about it as something having changed from your childhood to now, in which case i completely understand. :) that stuff irritates me too. dont they know it was better in the good ol' days? (ol' days for me is probably loosely interpreted, but never the less...)

but yea, a couple of grams a sugar here or there, probably not the end of the world.

Budiak
06-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Do you do the same thing when you notice that Round Table brushes butter on the crust AFTER you ate half of the mother ****er?

You are drinking VODKA. Dont worry about a sprinkle of sugar in the water.

Isnt quinine a poison?

Monster Muscle
06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
sugar wont hurt u. relax, just keep it limited

Tryska
06-16-2003, 09:49 AM
i'm not drinking vodka. well not at the moment anyway - jsut some girl got the point i was trying to make in her 2nd paragraph.

it's not the few grams of sugar - it's the point that high fructose corn syrup has been added to something that is SUPPOSED to be bitter, to make it more palatable to the current populations sweet tooth.

and no sugar won't hurt you - high fructose corn syrup, however - is not sugar. and it's ubiquitous these days. like transfats are.

no wonder america's so full of fatties.

Just some girl
06-16-2003, 07:06 PM
i may be wrong, but i dont think there is anything inherently wrong with high fructose corn syrup. just a cheaper sugary sweetener. not really comparable to trans fats which are being realized to be quite unhealthy since they have the same results in the body as saturated fat.

though again, i realize that wasnt your point. but the comparision didnt seem like a fair one in my mind.

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Just some girl
i may be wrong, but i dont think there is anything inherently wrong with high fructose corn syrup. just a cheaper sugary sweetener.

so your fine with things like pop?

Just some girl
06-16-2003, 07:25 PM
i dont drink regular soda. but thats not the point. is it empty calories? yea, sure. but is it any worse for you than it would be if it was made with sugar as opposed to the high fructose corn syrup? i dont think it is. however, things made with trans fats are definitely worse for you than things made with unsaturated fats. that was my only point. but like i said, im not 100% on this. i just think that HFCS (im abbreviating cuz im lazy) isnt comperable to trans fats in the way it was being used. thats it.

Tryska
06-17-2003, 08:09 AM
i'd actually choose table sugar over high fructose corn syrup, if i was forced too choose between the two.

here's a couple reaosns why:

http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/26/fructose.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/14/fructose.htm

Tryska
06-17-2003, 09:38 AM
another very interesting article on fructose in general.

i love the mercola site;

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/5/fructose.htm

bradley
06-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
i'd actually choose table sugar over high fructose corn syrup, if i was forced too choose between the two.

here's a couple reaosns why:

http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/26/fructose.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/14/fructose.htm

I agree with you about choosing sucrose over fructose, but as long as you are not consuming a large quantity of it I think it is fine. Although usually things that contain high fructose corn syrup do contain large amounts of it and should be avoided.

As long as you are not going over ~50g of fructose per day you should be fine, as far as the whole liver glycogen spilling over into fat store thing goes.