PDA

View Full Version : splenda

syntekz
06-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Does spelnda have any effect on blood sugar levels?

APE.
06-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Splenda does not raise blood sugar levels;atleast in my personal exp. I am diabetic and check my levels 4 x day.I've never gotten a high reading after using splenda.
Also from personal exp. Splenda is the worst to use if cooking is involved.It doesn't break down and melt like Equal & Sweet n' Low.

Delphi
06-13-2003, 03:44 PM
It might have an effect on insulin levels, or I should say not have an effect on it. My wifey's on a diet and was commenting on this last week.

The Official Spiel From My Wife:

Splenda- the best sweetener. Has dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose. Raises insulin levels the least of all the artificial sweeteners.

Sweet N Low- has saccharin. Raises insulin levels more than Splenda.

Equal- the worst. Has aspartame. Raises insulin the most. Possibly linked to Alzheimer's.

I'll move this thread to Diet and Nutrition to see if some of the diet gurus there have some opinions on this.

bradley
06-13-2003, 04:24 PM
***For what it's worth:D Although I believe that Splenda contains a small amount of maltodextrin which could have some impact if taken in a large enough dose.

Glycemic effect of a single high oral dose of the novel sweetener sucralose in patients with diabetes.

Mezitis NH, Maggio CA, Koch P, Quddoos A, Allison DB, Pi-Sunyer FX.

Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10025, USA. nhm2@columbia.edu

OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of a single high oral dose of the novel noncaloric sweetener sucralose on short-term glucose homeostasis in patients with IDDM or NIDDM. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: A total of 13 IDDM and 13 NIDDM patients with glycosylated hemoglobin levels < 10% completed this double-blind cross-over study. After an overnight fast, patients were administered opaque capsules containing either 1,000 mg sucralose or cellulose placebo, followed by a standardized 360-kcal liquid breakfast. Plasma glucose and serum C-peptide levels were measured over the next 4 h. RESULTS: Regardless of the type of diabetes, areas under the curves for changes of plasma glucose and serum C-peptide levels after sucralose administration were not significantly different from those after placebo. During test meals with sucralose, one episode of symptomatic hypoglycemia occurred in each of three IDDM patients, but these episodes were not considered the result of sucralose administration. CONCLUSIONS: The present results support the conclusion that sucralose consumption does not adversely affect short-term blood glucose control in patients with diabetes.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 8875098 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

SoulOfKoRea
06-13-2003, 05:12 PM
anyone know how splenda has 0 Calories when it contains maltodextrin / dextrose?

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 06:15 PM
it doesnt have 0. it does have some calories. just not enough to count as 5.

Tank23
06-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Splenda contains 1.9 calories per teasoon (0.5g).

Behemoth
06-14-2003, 11:27 AM
I hate how they round calories to 5. Why do they do that?

turrifik
06-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
I hate how they round calories to 5. Why do they do that?