PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal vs. grits

mindburnt
06-13-2003, 10:22 AM
anything wrong with specially processed white degermanated corn grits? Im either gonna add dry oatmeal or grits in my diet somewhere. which is better? and which meal should they be eaten with. any type of protein they should NOT be eaten with? my diet consists of whey protein, dairy, meat, fruits, potatoes, 1 rice cake, peanut butter, walnuts, and veggies. are there any particular times of the day each should be consumed? I know to keep the fats earlier in the day, but what about everything else? I got all the meals planned, for the most part, but not sure WHAT order to eat them in.

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
the only big difference between grits and oatmeal, is that i think oatmeal has a lower GI then grits.

it doesnt really matter when you eat them. i have oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and usually in 1 or 3 other meals in the same day as well. try to get some protein with each meal.

why should fats be kept earlier in the day?

bradley
06-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by mindburnt
anything wrong with specially processed white degermanated corn grits?

There is nothing wrong with grits but they do not offer much nutrition wise other than carbs. They lack the fiber that you will get with oatmeal and the oatmeal would probably keep you full longer than the grits.

Im either gonna add dry oatmeal or grits in my diet somewhere. which is better?

I would choose the oats over the grits, with the main reason being appetite control.

which meal should they be eaten with. any type of protein they should NOT be eaten with? my diet consists of whey protein, dairy, meat, fruits, potatoes, 1 rice cake, peanut butter, walnuts, and veggies.

Food combing is just theory. You can eat the grits/oats with whatever you want.

are there any particular times of the day each should be consumed? I know to keep the fats earlier in the day, but what about everything else? I got all the meals planned, for the most part, but not sure WHAT order to eat them in.

There is no reason to eat your fats early in the day, and I usually try and make sure to get a little fat in the last meal before bed. This will help slow the digestion of the meal which IMO is ideal because I will be going for an extended period of time without eating (sleep). It really just comes down to overall calorie balance at the end of the day.

LAM
06-15-2003, 03:43 PM
oatmeal beats grits hands down. corn grits have almost zero nutritional value...