PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Intake

Onmyway
06-13-2003, 10:05 PM
In a high protien, muscle gaining diet, how much sugar is too much. What is a good daily allowance?

Saint Patrick
06-14-2003, 02:06 AM
well I'm not the diet guru, but I'll give it a shot:

The only "sugar" you should be having is Post workout, like dextrose. Other than that, try to get most of your carbs from oats, whole wheat bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta.

Sure, some foods contain sugar (like fruit and milk) which are totally okay in a bulking diet, just don't over-do it.

bradley
06-14-2003, 05:11 AM
I agree with St. Patty in that pre/postworkout is probably the best time to take in high GI carbs.

There really is not set amount of sugar that you should be taking in each day, but I have found that I have a lot harder time controlling appetite if I am eating higher GI carbs (sugary carbs). This is one of the main advantages that low GI carbs like oats and veggies have. They are slower digesting which will help keep blood sugar levels more stable, and this will help in overall appetite control.

GhettoSmurf
06-14-2003, 06:13 AM
i agree as well, the only time i usually have sugar in my diet is post workout. but sometimes i end up having a bit of sugar (lactose) from my cottage cheese. but that's basically it. unless you want to count splenda ;)

Mic Soloist
06-14-2003, 10:59 AM
i put a little on my oats in the morning, but thats it.

-peace-

GhettoSmurf
06-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
i put a little on my oats in the morning, but thats it.

haveyou thought about trying a sugar substitute?

Behemoth
06-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by bradley
There really is not set amount of sugar that you should be taking in each day, but I have found that I have a lot harder time controlling appetite if I am eating higher GI carbs (sugary carbs). This is one of the main advantages that low GI carbs like oats and veggies have. They are slower digesting which will help keep blood sugar levels more stable, and this will help in overall appetite control.

If you were on an very heavy bulk, or if you have a hard time getting in enough cals. Wouldn't high GI carbs be more beneficial since you'll be hungrier.

bradley
06-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth

If you were on an very heavy bulk, or if you have a hard time getting in enough cals. Wouldn't high GI carbs be more beneficial since you'll be hungrier.

I would say so, for example weight gainers:D You could drink one of those down and be hungry again in no time. I have also seen so called hard gainer diets that advocate eating white bread and baking potatoes so as not to remain hungry as long.