PDA

View Full Version : Banana skin weight.



restless
06-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Anyone has any ideia what percentage of it's total weight does the skin of a banana represents?

I can't seem to find an answer to this and I would like to avoid peeling one at the supermarket to find out.

Thanks.

AdamGberg
06-14-2003, 03:02 PM
:bash:

chops
06-14-2003, 05:35 PM
LMAO, an odd question. my random guess would be about 15%. peel one, weigh it and you'll know for sure. simple solution. why do you want to know? cuz if you're trying to figure out calories, that part is easy and u can go to fitday.com

restless
06-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Well, thanks but I do use fitday.com. Tomorrow I'm peeliing one at the supermarket and I'll find out.

SquareHead
06-14-2003, 06:20 PM
LOL.

Stryc-9
06-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Out of curiosity - why do you want to know this? Why can't you peel it once you get the bananas home?

People at the supermarket think I'm nuts because I spend hours reading the nutritional info - but I've never peeled fruit in the store before!! ;)

restless
06-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Well, thinking about it when they say 100 gr of edible portion do they include the skin in those 100 gr? This is my concern, because each banana I'm eating weights around 250 gr but I'm not sure how much of that I'm actually eating..... Yeah I know I'm splitting airs but I still want to know.

Ace
06-14-2003, 07:31 PM
LOL..I love it how some of use are sooooooooooo picky and precise about our food intake. :D

I am guilty of some pretty precise measurements myself and my buddies always make fun of me. ;)

chops
06-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by restless
Well, thnking about it when they say 100 gr of edible portion do they include the skin in those 100 gr? This is my concern, because each banana I'm eating weights around 250 gr but I'm not sure how much of that I'm actually eating..... Yeah I know I'm splitting airs but I still want to know.

gotcha, but i highly doubt it. that would be equivalent to giving cals of peanuts w/ the shells on 'em .

--waiting fer ya ' results on tippytoes

restless
07-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Alright, I've bought a scale and finally disclosed the terrible banana skin mistery.

A 135 gr banana has a skin that weights 30 gr, so it's 22% of it's total weight.

Frankster
07-20-2003, 06:46 AM
is the skin edible? I don't think the monkeys even eat the skin.. so I'm pretty positive they're not including that in the measurements.

restless
07-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Frankster
is the skin edible? I don't think the monkeys even eat the skin.. so I'm pretty positive they're not including that in the measurements.

That's not the problem, the problem was that I was using the weight reading from the supermarket scale and I couldn't know how much of that was I actually eating. Now I bought a scale and I now that you only eat around 78% of it's total weight.

body
07-20-2003, 07:39 AM
well its going to vary a lot of the actual banana though.

there will be a big difference between a small and thick banana.

and hust to make you split hair even more. What is the ripeness of the bananas you are going to eat? are you making sure they are that nice yellow colour?

restless
07-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by body


and hust to make you split hair even more. What is the ripeness of the bananas you are going to eat? are you making sure they are that nice yellow colour?

You clearly have no ideia to whom you're talking to. I am the master in the art of chosing rippen bananas, I always buy them ready to eat and I'll inspect all the available stock before that. I usually only buy them if they're completely yellow with dark dots, the more the better. In my opinion bananas are the perfect tasting food, I don't think nature will ever ne able to improve on that, or man for that matter.

body
07-20-2003, 08:08 AM
lmao

Frankster
07-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Ah ok, now I understand why you want to know the weight of the skin.

Lol, this thread is damn funny.. al that talk about bananas.. we're gonna attrack monkeys to WBB, I'm telling you.

aka23
07-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by restless
Alright, I've bought a scale and finally disclosed the terrible banana skin mistery.

A 135 gr banana has a skin that weights 30 gr, so it's 22% of it's total weight.

I usually put a cut-up banana in my morning cereal. This morning I weighed both the banana and the skin. The 110g banana had 41g of skin, or 37% of total weight.

I expect that the fraction of total weight would depend on the shape of the banana, the ripeness, and age it was picked, among other things. I like to use short, thin bananas in my cereal. It makes sense that skin would make up a larger portion of total wieght for bananas with this shape than a typical wider, longer banana.

restless
07-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by aka23


I usually put a cut-up banana in my morning cereal. This morning I weighed both the banana and the skin. The 110g banana had 41g of skin, or 37% of total weight.

I expect that the fraction of total weight would depend on the shape of the banana, the ripeness, and age it was picked, among other things. I like to use short, thin bananas in my cereal. It makes sense that skin would make up a larger portion of total wieght for bananas with this shape than a typical wider, longer banana.

That makes sense. I guess I'll keep on wieghting them in the future.

Woz
07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Anyone know how much grapeseeds weigh or should I just buy seedless grapes??

restless
07-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Woz
Anyone know how much grapeseeds weigh or should I just buy seedless grapes??

:)

Berserker
07-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Don't buy any of this. You weight the bannana so you get the right fit for your cereal???
If your doing it for your diet you need to eat more, if your that close the skin makes a a difference. You shouldn't be micro manageing it. You can't take into account every little thing.

There I was nicer this time.

body
07-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Woz
Anyone know how much grapeseeds weigh or should I just buy seedless grapes??

if you tell me how much kiwi seeds weigh, i tell you how much grape seed weigh;)

Woz
07-22-2003, 11:39 PM
This is getting complicated.

restless
07-23-2003, 12:02 AM
No it isn't.

Frankster
07-23-2003, 02:56 AM
LMAO