PDA

View Full Version : The Drop 2003 - 300lbs to 200lbs.

technogeeky
06-14-2003, 06:21 PM
You can see my FitDay information here:

FITDAY For Today! (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=technogeeky)

Hey folks. Here goes my journal. I'm going to start with simple stuff at first, then post more details as I learn what I need to do / eat.

Food intake for 6/14/2003 (so far):

meal 1:
9am
1/2 cup of oats,
2 tsp natural smuckers peanut butter,
3/4 of one serving (about 15grams) of whey protein,
1 cup of water.

meal 2:
noon
Turkey and Roast Beef sanwdich:
mustard,
VERY LIGHT (almost invisible) mayo,
3 slices lean turkey,
~4oz lean Cajun roast beef.

meal 3:
3:00
Protien shake (Methoxy-Pro)
130 calories 1.5g fat, 4g carbs, 23g protein

meal 4:
ceasar salad at Chilis.
Light (2tbsp) ceasar dressing,
8 oz chicken, grilled, blackened.

***added later***
meal 5/6:
1 can tuna (6oz)
12 oz skim milk
1 ISOPure Dutch Chocolate protien shake.

So I am way undereating my calories and not even thinking twice about it. This *diet* isn't unusual for me, which makes me believe that I used to overeat, and now i'm undereating so I'm not burning anything off.

Here's the calorie stuff from FitDay:

Total:

Fat:
28%
Sat:
6%
Poly:
7%
Mono:
6%
Carbs:
23%
Fiber:
0%
Protein:
49%
Alcohol:
0%

First problem, I'm no longer hungry thanks to Meridia. Second, I don't feel that I even need to eat that much more. Am I starving myself here?

technogeeky
06-14-2003, 06:31 PM
This is obviously in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it, mods.

Thanks! Sorry :)

GhettoSmurf
06-14-2003, 07:01 PM
IMHO you need WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more calories.

go for wheat bread over te white bread.
try to lose the dressing.
getr some more good fats.

also, are you just having a protein shake post-workout? i'd recommend for post-workout mixing some whey and dextrose/maltodextrine.

kazzy
06-14-2003, 07:06 PM
so much friggin fat... 66g is waaaaaay too much for me. I try to keep mine down to like... less than 12g a day.

Maki Riddington
06-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by kazzy
so much friggin fat... 66g is waaaaaay too much for me. I try to keep mine down to like... less than 12g a day.

*** Why?

GhettoSmurf
06-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by kazzy

12g of fat??? that's NO good at all. you need/WANT fat in your diet. you just want to make sure its from good sources.

Brandon7775643
06-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Your choice of foods looks good, although I agree your calories need tweaking upward. Keep going up until you are loosing around a pound a week. Plan on it taking several (4-6 at least) weeks to find out what the right levels are for you. This isn't wasted time, but rather a chance to make sure your loss is optimized in the long run.

Suggestions:

Drop the mayo. If you're using so little of it to begin with, then after a little while you won't know it's gone. Mustard is more or less free, so add more if you like.

Try Newman's Oil and Vinegar dressing. It's primary ingredient is olive oil, which is a better source of fats than most dressings. Watch the quantity though, cause it can easily add up. In fact, if you have trouble controlling dressing quantity as some people do, it might be best to avoid them in the short term until you get going.

Suppliment with a good multi vitamin and some fish oil (or cod liver oil caps). I take a separate calcium cap as well.

GhettoSmurf
06-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Brandon7775643
Keep going up until you are loosing around a pound a week

IMO, considering his current weight, i think he could get away with ~2 pounds a week for a while.

Stabber
06-15-2003, 08:07 PM
good luck with your goals bro . Just don't go too drastic on the foods etc.. That will usually end up in a relapse. Take things slow. Keep it up

technogeeky
06-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Date: 7/15/2003

Foods Eaten:

meal 1: wasn't awake! :)

meal 2:
roast beef and turkey sandwich-
4oz roast beef (lean)
2oz turkey (lean)
2 slices white bread (no wheat, yet!)
two fat-free protien dogs
ketchup

meal 3:
130 cal Protien Shake

meal 4:
4 peices lamb rump roast, trimmed
8 stalks asparagus
side salad, no dressing

meal 5:
2 peanut butter sandwiches
Smuckers natty peanut butter
Sugar-free grape jelly
Publix fat-free yogurt

meal 6:
nothing...

FitDay Information:

Fat:55 492 30%
Sat:14 125 8%
Poly:5 42 3%
Mono:10 93 6%
Carbs:169 625 38%
Fiber:13 0 0%
Protein:131 523 32%
Alcohol:0 0 0%

As usual, more information can be seen by clicking the link in my sig.

Today's Thoughts:

I am having trouble eating enough calories. I was disappointed with the peanut butter/jelly, and I need to be eating 2200 calories or more each day. I'm not sure what to do, although I'll be working (hopefully!!) until the end of summer. This will help becuase it adds structure to my daily schedule.

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 06:28 AM
good job. im very happy to see that you WANT to up your cals. very good decision IMO.

one thing: is the FF yogurt plain yogurt? or is it flavored? if it is flavored, you might want to watch out for the amount of sugar in it.

if your stil looking to try to add aclories, 'd try not to miss out on breakfast ;), and also, maybe add some carbs/fat to the protein shake @ meal 3.

technogeeky
06-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Posted a day late. Oh well :0

Meals:

meal 1:
.5 cup oats
2 tsp natty peanut butter
meal 2:
1 can tuna (6oz)
2 slices ground wheat bread
mustard
1/4 tsp mayo
130cal Protien Shake (vanilla)
meal 3:
130cal protien shake (vanilla)
8oz skim milk
1 regular banana
1 4.4 oz fruit (lowfat) yogurt
meal 4:
chili's fire shrimp&chicken
6 small shrimp, spiced
8oz grilled chicken, olive oil + spices
no rice, extra veggies
squash, zucchini, brocolli
meal 5:
2 protien hot dog (no fat)
ketchup
mustard
meal 6:
none

Total:

1926 cals
Fat:32 287 16%
Sat:9 78 4%
Poly:7 67 4%
Mono:7 63 3%
Carbs:188 674 37%
Fiber:20 0 0%
Protein:216 866 47%

Sleep:

I didn't get very much sleep. I went to bed at 4 and got up at 8. As such, no gym for me today. I started a new job today though. New job = tighter schedule = no time to eat crap food.

Workout:

None today

Tryska
06-17-2003, 01:37 PM
hey - got your pm - i would suggest adding some protein to meal one, adding in some nuts hwere and there, and also actually eating meal 6.

macro ratios look good tho.

how was the first day of work?

GhettoSmurf
06-17-2003, 01:50 PM
IMO, i thin kyou should be eating more calories. at the LEAST 2000. also, maybe add some more good fats.

technogeeky
06-22-2003, 09:18 PM
If any of you are still paying attention - I went away for a few days.

I was here, but I got frustrated and ran out of food (healthy food too) to eat around here.

But I went shopping and I just got done cooking about 1lb of chicken for this week.

I managed to eat healthy foods all week. My "planned relapse" was food from a japanese steakhouse tonight.

I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning at 5am.

Wish me luck. Week 2 begins! (and I have some food this time around!)

karkid
06-22-2003, 09:35 PM
wow good luck man, you can do it if you keep your mind to it, and I think i'd add some carbs, like quite a bit, if you are looking for calories, because it looks like you're getting plenty of protein for the lean muscle mass you have, i think you could go for like 100 more grams of carbs

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 04:58 AM
Well I'm pretty pissed as of this morning. I learned that the scale I was using at home was horribly innacurate (I knew it was off, but not this off).

So I don't even know what my original weight was or if I lost any weight.

Oh well. I know what I weigh today, and we'll see what happens in a week.

Scott S
06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
I don't trust scales unless they initialize themselves. There's a dial scale here at Luther, and depending on where I place my weight on it, I weigh somewhere between 120 and 170 lbs. Screw that!

Digital scales should run about $30-40... I'll probably buy one of my own when I move out.

Sounds like you've been sticking to your diet plan pretty well. I say keep it up! :thumbup:

technogeeky
06-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Ok.. so I haven't been updating here much, but I am using Fitday. WHen you see a huge calorie deficiency (ala yesterday) it's because I had a "bad day". Yesterday was mine for this week.

I'm having an OK time with the diet so far. More frustrating is my weight. Aparently I do not weigh 295, I weigh 310. That disgusts me - being over 300 lbs. I think that is right, because that's what two doctor-style scales weighed me at. My home scale doesn't go above 300 (just got a new one!) and it gives me an Err.

I find that pretty sick.

Either way, diet and exercise contunies. I went to the gym at 5AM on monday with another person on here. I had a good workout. I intended to do so today, but woke up at 8 instead of 5. No biggie, I don't need that much leg work. I'll be hittin up arms on Friday! I can't wait :)

Here's my food for today:

Total:

Fat:45 405 23%
Sat:9 83 5%
Poly:4 34 2%
Mono:6 52 3%
Carbs:180 663 37%
Fiber:14 0 0%
Protein:177 708 40%

So..

My problems:

I can't eat enough calories.

The vanilla shake flavor I have has to go. It was a bargain at 99 cents, but I got sick trying to down some of it today (I even mixed in strawberries...)

I need to eat more

Help me out folks! :)

GhettoSmurf
06-25-2003, 09:44 PM
i dont really know what you need help with. i mean you basically know for yourself what you need to do. you are right when you say you should eat more.

Tryska
06-26-2003, 08:05 AM
well as far as protein - I use Chocolate Designer Whey, and I mix it with 1 of those little 12 oz 6-pack bottles of gatorade any flavor. it tastes pretty good.

as far as eating - you don't say what your meals are consisting of, but you really need to put some thoguht into your diet. You need ot get at least 3000, if not closer to 3500 cals in a day - the only way you are gonna be able to do that is by planning you meals.

plan your work, then work your plan as the saying goes.

so across 5 meals - that would 700 cals per, or across 7 meals that would be 500 cals per.

you can use things that are calorie dense (that's what i do) like peanut butter, hummus, nuts, seeds etc, to help get you over. Watcdh the simple carbs, and make sure there is at least 40 grams of protein per meal. If you need to supplement with proteion shakes then do it. That's what i do with my lunchtime meal. I drink it on the side.

technogeeky
06-26-2003, 09:18 AM
I don't understand how I could eat 3500 or 3000 calories and still loose weight.

I mean, I (at this point) only work out 3 times a week (at the gym). That will go to 5 or 6 with two cardio sessions each week (HIIT if i can do it).

But still. 3500 calories!?!? Shouldn't I eat LESS than that?

At 2000 cals, is my body shutting down or losing weight or what?

-Drew

Tryska
06-26-2003, 09:23 AM
shutting down. good rule of thumb - 10x your bodyweight is what your body needs to keep itself alive and function in a basic way.

we've talked abotu this before. you're mom's told ya too. *lol*

perfect example - if not paying attention to what i eat, i take in 1500 to 1800 cals a day. I have been plateaued in my weightloss and not progressing very well as far as strength training goes for the past several months, if not a full year.

3 weeks ago, i started eating well over 2000 cals a day. this past weke it's been 2500-2600 cals a day. I've lost 1.5 lbs this week.

My training has been 2 days of weights, 2 spin classes, 1 yoga class. I sit on my ass at work all day. but i have lost 1.5 lbs? why? because i'm eating enough so that my body feels comfortable letting the fat go.

Relentless
06-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Dude, the point is to incrementally adjust the calories until you see a loss but don't drop 'em away to nothing immediately or your body will go into starvation mode and you'll lose more muscle than you want to...

at a Bodyweight of 300 lbs, 3000 calories isn't a whole lot, really.

I went from ~230lbs to ~195lbs in just over 3 months on a keto diet at about 2400 cals/day....but I started with more, and reduced down to that level because I found that it worked for me. There is NO perfect amount of calories in general, but there is a perfect amount for YOU. Listen to your body; it will tell you.

Also, if youre struggling to get the quality calories you need, I recommend you buy some cottage cheese. It is the food of the gods.

1 cup of cottage cheese (2%) contains, approximately
- 7.5g fat (half is saturated, which ain't great but ah well)
- 6g of carbs
- 26.5 g of protein
- 200 or so calories
- and it's DIRT FRICKIN' CHEAP

in general, sticking to low-GI carbs and avoiding breads, pasta and other wheats are all key parts of fat loss as well...

Y2A
06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Bro at 310 you definately need to eat more. 3100 (10 x bodyweight) should be as low as you go IMO. By going under 2000, you are killing your metabolism. Your body is basically evil, there is no trick around "slow and steady" muscle gain or weight loss. Get into the mid-3000's, and never miss a leg workout, its the most important one!! :)

technogeeky
06-26-2003, 09:33 AM
I pretty much hate cottage cheese from what I remember, but I guess I can try some.

Do you just eat a big thing of chicken each day or something? No bread at all?

What bread, in monderation, isn't bad.. correct? People keep saying to be eating oats for breakfast. Isn't that carbs?

And what are all these terms like GI and stuff? hehe

Thanks.

Relentless
06-26-2003, 09:35 AM
GI = Glycemic Index; look it up and learn more about it. :)

technogeeky
07-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Update:

I'm still eating healthily - just not posting about it.

I talked to my doctor today. She OKed every part of my died. I lost 3 lbs since last Monday - that's my goal for the first couple of weeks (and my doctor said it's OK to loose 3 lbs/week for a while) and to keep it up. So 2200/day for me.

But all the advice I got on here was checked out by her - she said "good" to all of it.

Still around :)

-Drew

Scott S
07-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Good! Was hoping you'd stick around. Keep us posted.

Brandon7775643
07-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
Good! Was hoping you'd stick around. Keep us posted.

Yep -- we're all rooting for you.

Still think you need to up your calories, though.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 05:15 AM
I went to the gym this morning. I am pretty disappointed with how much I can lift, but I think in a few weeks I'll be back to where I was a year ago. Damn muscle loss!

Otherwise, the diet is going well I think. I uhh... consumed some... alcohol... on the 4th.

I didn't bother to add up the caloric value of that. Probably not so good. I won't be doing that again for a long time, though.

I turn 19 this Friday. Go me!

I'm going to try to plan my food before I eat it, rather than eat whatever and write it down.

edit: Also, I don't think 210 is a realistic goal. It's my long-term goal, yes, but I'm 6'5 now and I think a 6'5 bodybuilder would weigh more than 210. Let me know of a decent target weight.

Relentless
07-07-2003, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about a specific weight so much just now, although weight will be one measure of your progress

though you're 6'5", depending on your frame and existing muscle mass, 210 might be a realistic weight to shoot for. Or not. You'll be able to tell by what you look like as your weight drops... case in point; I shot for 195 as a target weight but when I actually got down to 195 I discovered I still didn't have the abs I wanted. So I had to revise my plan based on the results my body achieved.

planning your meals ahead (and/or MAKING them ahead if you have the time) is a great idea and a good way to keep yourself 'on track'.

technogeeky
07-17-2003, 10:18 PM
I did pretty well today. Check out my Fitday for 7/17/2003.

I'll go to the gym tomorrow. Once I know what the hell I'm doing, I'm going to drop this thing and make a new journal so it's cleaner.

technogeeky
07-18-2003, 07:17 AM
I fit in to my 46" jeans this morning.. I'll stick to the word "fit" and stay away from words like "comfortable"

It's a step :)

Scott S
07-21-2003, 09:43 PM
And a good step too. :thumbup: What was your starting pants size?

technogeeky
07-22-2003, 06:39 AM
50 or, for one pair, 52