PDA

View Full Version : It's 9:00, I'm 1200 calories short of my goal.

technogeeky
06-15-2003, 07:11 PM
What do I eat?

I dont have any thawed chicken, or I'd eat that.

Let me know what is a good idea. I can eat some tuna, but that's only a few hundred calories.

Mic Soloist
06-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Double Whopper....

:evillaugh

Scott S
06-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread and a glass of skim milk to wash it down. Pronto!

EDIT: A can of tuna in place of one of the sandwiches would be better. I forgot you were cutting.

GQ79
06-15-2003, 08:07 PM
peanutttt buttttttterrrrr,,mmmmm yum..def have lots of thaty and have a shake....and have a banana..and have some more peanut butter throw some jelly in there and if u want throw some bread in there 2..

snow
06-15-2003, 08:12 PM
My quick way to 2000 calories..

2 pb&j's
shake (juice plus, banana, berries, 4cups soy milk)

GhettoSmurf
06-15-2003, 08:17 PM
well if its right before bedtime, try to stay away from bread/carbs (at least thats what i'd do).

try some cottage cheese + natty PB :)

Behemoth
06-15-2003, 09:45 PM
I have a question along these lines, perhaps Bradley can answer it (what am I saying, of course he can).

I'm cutting and say I wind up in the same predicamint as this guy. There's only an hour or 2 before bed and I'm 1000 cals short. Do I cram in more food than I feel like eating? Or do I till satiated?

I tend to think that eating 1000 cals before bed wouldn't be the best thing while dieting. But I also don't want too little cals and want to limit catabolism.

Monster Muscle
06-15-2003, 10:11 PM
so pb is ok b4 bed? just ok or recommended like cottage cheese b4 bed?

bradley
06-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
What do I eat?

I dont have any thawed chicken, or I'd eat that.

Let me know what is a good idea. I can eat some tuna, but that's only a few hundred calories.

There is nothing that says you have to get in an exact number of calories each day. Falling a little short of you calorie goal would be okay, but I just would not make a habit of it. One day with low calorie intake is not going tause you to instantaneously lose muscle. I would probably just take in some protein and healthy fats and keep the calories to a moderate level. You don't want to eat so much that it affects your sleep. As long as you got in enough protein and EFAs you will be fine, even though you fell short of your calorie goal.

bradley
06-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
well if its right before bedtime, try to stay away from bread/carbs (at least thats what i'd do).

Any particular reason for doing this? I understand that protein will further slow the digestion of the cottage cheese, but IMO a few carbs would not hurt anything:)

bradley
06-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
I'm cutting and say I wind up in the same predicamint as this guy. There's only an hour or 2 before bed and I'm 1000 cals short. Do I cram in more food than I feel like eating? Or do I till satiated?

I tend to think that eating 1000 cals before bed wouldn't be the best thing while dieting. But I also don't want too little cals and want to limit catabolism.

Just because you fall a few hundred cals short of your goal does not neccessarily mean that you are going to cause muscle catabolism. If you did it repeatedly day after day then yes this would become more of a concern. With that being said I would just try and make sure that you got in adequate amounts of protein and EFAs for the day, and would not worry about falling short on calories.

The only thing that I can see wrong with eating 1000 cals immediately before bed would be the fact that it might interrupt your sleep. Other than that I do not think it is going to make a difference.

Praetorian
06-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Any particular reason for doing this? I understand that protein will further slow the digestion of the cottage cheese, but IMO a few carbs would not hurt anything:)

arnt the carbs more likely to turn into fat when eating them right before bed time? since you arnt so 'active' when asleep..

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Monster Muscle
so pb is ok b4 bed? just ok or recommended like cottage cheese b4 bed?
fats are fine before bed. they can help slow the digestion of the protein even more :D

gopher
06-16-2003, 07:02 AM
How are you guys falling so short of your calorie goals on a cut?! I sometimes run into this problem when I'm bulking but never on a cut! I'm usually saying "damn! it's 3:00 pm and I'm already at my totals for today!"

bradley
06-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Centaurion

arnt the carbs more likely to turn into fat when eating them right before bed time? since you arnt so 'active' when asleep..

Calorie balance at the end of the day is what is going to determine if you lose weight, not macronutrient timing or combinations of macronutrients for that matter.

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 09:06 AM

i personally dont have any reason for it. i am still somewhat new to the whole bodybuilding thing myself, and i usually just post on this board, but i do look at other BB boards as well, and i see that a lot of them all agree with less carbs before you go to bed. whether it makes a difference or not, i dont know. i just like taking info from all different sources, and compair them, and then decide for myself what i'd like to do. and since it doesnt really interfere with my daily activities or my life, i figure "why not". if it makes a difference, great, if not, then o well no skin off my back.

Behemoth
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by gopher
How are you guys falling so short of your calorie goals on a cut?! I sometimes run into this problem when I'm bulking but never on a cut! I'm usually saying "damn! it's 3:00 pm and I'm already at my totals for today!"

Well you see, today I slept into 1 o'clock in the afternoon :angel:

gopher
06-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Ahhhh, now I understand.

AlexBBbegginer
06-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Bradley-

Hey, i heard (and have also tested) that eating carbs before you go to sleep, keeps your brain more active and therefore makes it much harder to fall asleep.

I have put this to the test since, i myself am an incredibly light sleeper and some1 that also lies awake thinking for an hour or 2 before being able to finally doze off.

And IT WORKS!

I find it really easy to fall asleep now, it takes me about 20-30 mins of shut eye, to drop off.
And i dont wake up till 6-7am (my wakeup is 7.30am) so this is still annoying cos i want solid sleep until at least 7.20am. This is a minor problem, i admit.

But i can honestly say keeping carbs away after 10.30pm has made sleep a lot easier.

I did recently have 2 wholewheat prawn sandwiches before bed (11.30pm) and i struggled to fall asleep by 1am.
So i am convinced of this link.
Try it yourself if u dont mind losing a few hrs sleep.
:rolleyes:

bradley
06-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
Hey, i heard (and have also tested) that eating carbs before you go to sleep, keeps your brain more active and therefore makes it much harder to fall asleep.

I am not disagreeing with you, seeing as how glucose is what the brain uses for fuel so low blood sugar would probably make you feel more lethargic and tired. Although eating some foods that contain high amounts of the amino acid tryptophan along with carbs could actually help you go to sleep. This is because the amino acid tryptophan is a precursor to seratonin.

Try it yourself if u dont mind losing a few hrs sleep.
:rolleyes:

I personally can eat plenty of carbs before bed and have no trouble falling asleep:D

AlexBBbegginer
06-16-2003, 03:11 PM
what contains tryptophan? im dieing to know!
And what carbs will help me sleep, cos WW bread = keeps me up for a good hour.

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 03:20 PM
when i was looking at some sites for some good ways to try to sleep better (my dad was having some sleeping difficulties) the site recommended to limit the caffiene amount before bed, and that snacking on somthing like saltine crackers before bed can help you fall asleep. (but ive personally never tried it)

Behemoth
06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Turkeys got tryptophan.

Saint Patrick
06-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by snow
(juice plus, banana, berries, 4cups soy milk)

Too much sugar if you ask me.....

Saint Patrick
06-16-2003, 10:12 PM
eating some foods that contain high amounts of the amino acid tryptophan along with carbs could actually help you go to sleep. This is because the amino acid tryptophan is a precursor to seratonin.

w3rd

bradley
06-17-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
what contains tryptophan? im dieing to know!
And what carbs will help me sleep, cos WW bread = keeps me up for a good hour.

dairy products (milk, cottage cheese, etc.)
eggs
poultry
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds
peanuts
hummus
soy products

These are just some to name a few and I do not know which would have the highest tryptophan content. I am sure you have heard of people recommending a glass of milk before bed to help with fall asleep faster. This could have merit due to the tryptophan/carb content of the milk.