PDA

View Full Version : eating before workout?

phi67
06-15-2003, 07:14 PM
I have been working out for 3 months. I do not use any supplements or special protein powders. I was wondering if and what i should eat before and after a workout. I try to eat 5 meals a day. Is it possible to get more gains without buying any supplements? Thanks for your help in advance.

GhettoSmurf
06-15-2003, 08:14 PM
it might not be possible to get MORE gains w/o supplements. but it wont stop you from getting gains.

before a workout- somthing like oatmeal and a protein source (i usually have cottage cheese)

after a workout- high GI carb like dextrose and a protein source (i usually have some whey)

phi67
06-15-2003, 09:22 PM
so is whey like a supplement?

Saint Patrick
06-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by phi67
so is whey like a supplement?

Yes. It's the most popular type of protein powder on the market.

GhettoSmurf
06-16-2003, 06:13 AM
is there a reason you arnt taking any supps.?

bradley
06-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by phi67
Is it possible to get more gains without buying any supplements? Thanks for your help in advance.

It is possible to make gains without supps, but your gains might be somewhat better with proper supplementation (vitamins/minerals, protein, EFAs).

If I was going to go without supplements I would make sure and eat some type of carb pre/post workout along with some protein. You could use things like smarties candy, bread, rice, oats, etc. Just make sure you are getting enough carbs to replenish lost muscle glycogen. As far as protein I think milk would probably be your best option. The main thing is to find something that will not sit to heavy on your stomach or cause problems with digestion (in regards to preworkout nutrtion) and also make sure that fat is kept to a minimum.

Some 100% whey and dextrose/maltodextrin would be ideal if you do decide to purchase some supplements for pre/postworkout nutrition.

T-Bone976
06-17-2003, 08:52 AM
I have tried drinking shakes before I workout, but I have had better results when I ate a whole food meal before hitting the weights. I like to have a can'o tuna and some oatmeal. Sometimes I throw in some high GI carbs like juices or fruit.

bradley
06-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by T-Bone976
I have tried drinking shakes before I workout, but I have had better results when I ate a whole food meal before hitting the weights. I like to have a can'o tuna and some oatmeal. Sometimes I throw in some high GI carbs like juices or fruit.

I am not saying that whole food would not work, but the chance of stomach discomfort would be increased when eating a whole food meal too soon before training.

The benefits of having a small preworkout shake that contains a small amount of carbs and protein has already been established.

T-Bone976
06-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I am not saying that whole food would not work, but the chance of stomach discomfort would be increased when eating a whole food meal too soon before training.

The benefits of having a small preworkout shake that contains a small amount of carbs and protein has already been established.

I agree, that's why I made noted the fact that whole food worked for me.