PDA

View Full Version : my calories are way to low

Stabber
06-16-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm on a cut. I took st patricks advice and counted the calories i've been eating daily (for the past 2 weeks). They are coming out to like 1500 :eek: THIS IS NOT INCLUDING CARDIO OR WEIGHT LIFTING! I am freaked.

My daily breakdown is usually something like:
1410 calories s**t!!!
110 grams of protein
44.5 grams of fat
99 carbs
How does the breakdown look? What do I need more of? (damnit!)

My stats:
height:6'2
weight:192 (as of 2 weeks ago)
bf%: unknown

How did I not starve myself on this the past 2 weeks???? Ive only been on xendrane rfa1 for 3 days so that couldnt be why i didnt get insanely hungry.

I use to intake over 3k calories. I am WAY below maintenance. No wonder I lost all my muscle and kept the fat. So I guess the plan now is to increase protein and calories. But how do I go about this? Simply eat more per meal? You can check my journal for specifics, but I usually eat 6 or 7 times a day. I don't want to f**k up my metabolism by making a sudden jump.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE appreciated! What should i be intaking to maintain? ALso, how do I increase calories without increasing fat in my face and stomach

Bradley, :help: dude!

SoulOfKoRea
06-16-2003, 04:25 PM
more protein, try to get up to 192 grams and you'll be set

192 - 110 = 82 grams x 4 Calories = 328 more Calories

Holto
06-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Personally I would put myself in a calorie surplus for a week or two

your thyroid slows hormone production when you starve like that

going back on a quick surplus or maintenance intake could get your thyroid and metabolism back on line

if you just started counting cals there is nothing to say that you wouldn't lose bf on 2500/daily

Stabber
06-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Ok thanks a lot guys. Now here's my question. Is it possible my body thought I was starving, so now it will store everything i put in it ?? If this is the case, I could of possibly INCREASED my bf%. Now, how do I get around this by jumping calories really quick? In other words: How do i tell my body that i will be eating enough not to starve again :D

thanks

also, to raise my protein, i'm going to have 2 protein shakes a day (one with milk). this should raise calories and protein..

Saint Patrick
06-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Increasing bf% is part of bodybuilding. You need to accept that you'll gain fat here and there.

Don't increase calories too quickly, maybe an extra 20-30 cals/day until you're around 2200-2300 then stay at that calorie intake for a few weeks and see how you're doing as far as weight loss.

make sure you're taking the post w/o shake with water and not milk, because milk will slow the digestion

take the whey w/ milk in the morning or before bed.

bradley
06-17-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
My daily breakdown is usually something like:
1410 calories s**t!!!
110 grams of protein
44.5 grams of fat
99 carbs
How does the breakdown look? What do I need more of? (damnit!)

First off get your protein intake up to ~1g per lb. of bw, and make sure that you are getting an adequate amount of EFAs in your diet.

It is a common problem for people to get a little too anxious and drop cals too quickly while adding in large amounts of cardio. Don't worry about it too much as you were only at that calorie level for a short time. What do you estimate your bf% is right now?

Ok thanks a lot guys. Now here's my question. Is it possible my body thought I was starving, so now it will store everything i put in it ?? If this is the case, I could of possibly INCREASED my bf%. Now, how do I get around this by jumping calories really quick? In other words: How do i tell my body that i will be eating enough not to starve again

I agree with what Holto said about maybe going back up to maintenance cals for a week or two so you can get everything reset so to speak (leptin, etc.) I would just increase the cals slowly over the course of the next two weeks until you are up to maintenance cals which should minimize the chances of you gaining any bf. Once you have worked your way back up to maintenance cals then you can start slowly dropping cals again until you are losing a small amount of weight each week.

Remember you should expect an initial increase in weight due the increased amount of carbs that you will be eating (glycogen/water weight gain).

bradley
06-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
make sure you're taking the post w/o shake with water and not milk, because milk will slow the digestion

Throw some carbs in there as well:D

GhettoSmurf
06-17-2003, 05:14 AM
when i stoped being anorexic, and started eating normal again, i was afraid raising my calories would reslut in a lot of dat gain as well. wat i did was i increase by calories by ~100 each week (or 20-30 like St. Patrick suggested). I ended up going from < 1200 calories a day to 3300 calories a day.

Just increase the calories slowly, and you'll be fine :)

bradley
06-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
when i stoped being anorexic, and started eating normal again, i was afraid raising my calories would reslut in a lot of dat gain as well. wat i did was i increase by calories by ~100 each week (or 20-30 like St. Patrick suggested). I ended up going from < 1200 calories a day to 3300 calories a day.

Just increase the calories slowly, and you'll be fine :)

I think you could go up a little faster than 100 a week. If you only went up by a hundred then you would still be at a low calorie intake for a period of weeks.

week 1 1500 cals
week 2 1600 cals

I agree you want to go up slowly but you also want don't want to be in that great of a calorie deficit for an extended period of time. I would probably jump up by at least 300 cals the first week and then maybe 200 the next week or so until you hit maintenance.

GhettoSmurf
06-17-2003, 05:36 AM
well, i think i might have cheated a bit and jumped from <1200 to 2000 and then increased slowly

Stabber
06-17-2003, 05:50 AM
if i'm 6'2 190 poundish (not sure on bf%)..how can I find what I need to maintain?
Bradley, if I were to stay at this calorie deficit ....wouldnt my body eventually adjust and start losing bf again? I don't plan to stay here, just curiuos

I really don't want to see my chin/neck area gain any more weight. Gonna suck to increase :redface:

bradley
06-17-2003, 06:07 AM
if i'm 6'2 190 poundish (not sure on bf%)..how can I find what I need to maintain?

Just keep gradually increasing your cals until your weight remains constant. I would probably go up 300 cals the first week (~1700 cals daily the first week) and then maybe 200 the second week. Make sure to monitor your weight and see how your body reacts to the increase in cals. I would imagine that you will still be dropping weight even with the increased calorie intake.

Bradley, if I were to stay at this calorie deficit ....wouldnt my body eventually adjust and start losing bf again? I don't plan to stay here, just curiuos

Your metabolism would slow down and you would probably catabolize LBM, but your maintenance calories and bf% would also be needed to determine exactly what would happen.

You could probably get away with a large calorie deficit, but if you did stick with the large calorie deficit refeeds would probably be needed as well.

[/B]
I really don't want to see my chin/neck area gain any more weight. Gonna suck to increase :redface: [/B]

Just because you increase your cals does not necessarily mean you are goint to gain weight. Bringing your calories up will be beneficial in the long run.:)

Stabber
06-17-2003, 12:34 PM
thanks for responses. Would it be a bad idea to continue on my Xenrdraine RFA1 given the above info?

bradley
06-17-2003, 04:06 PM
thanks for responses. Would it be a bad idea to continue on my Xenrdraine RFA1 given the above info?

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea, but I would get my diet on track and then start supplementing with the ECA.