PDA

View Full Version : Mercury and tuna, blah blah blah

Beast
06-16-2003, 08:32 PM
So anyways, my parents have been getting angry at me since I've been eating a can of tuna a day. They're into that whole "there's too much mercury in tuna" fad that came when Dateline made some dumbass story about it. Do you think it really is as unsafe as they claim it to be? They recommended a limit of 1 can per week!

GonePostal
06-16-2003, 09:00 PM
1 can per day doesn't sound too bad... How about all those people eatting tuna salad sandwiches everyday??? They seem fine to me. Even still there is some mercury content in the tuna and I wouldn't eat 1 can per day of tuna indefinitely. Cuz mercury does build up in your system. I would do it for a while and then take a break (not totally) and eat less tuna and get your protien from another source. Dangerous? Maybe... As dangerous as they make it out to be? Not even.

Saint Patrick
06-16-2003, 10:01 PM
You'd have to eat a lot more than 1 can/day to get a dangerous amount of mercury in your system.

mmckinley
06-16-2003, 10:08 PM
I asked a physiology professor at my school and he said canned tuna is pretty safe to eat regularly. If you notice any like memory loss or fatigue it could be mercury poisoning. If that happens you can stop eating fish until your mercury levels go down again.

JohnnyAutoParts
06-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast
So anyways, my parents have been getting angry at me since I've been eating a can of tuna a day. They're into that whole "there's too much mercury in tuna" fad that came when Dateline made some dumbass story about it. Do you think it really is as unsafe as they claim it to be? They recommended a limit of 1 can per week!

My parents are the same way...but they always back down when I bring up their 2 cups of coffee a day as my counter-argument.

Saint Patrick
06-17-2003, 12:30 AM
what's wrong w/ Coffee?

bradley
06-17-2003, 03:43 AM
Here ya go:)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27622&highlight=mercury

I would just try to add some variety into your diet. Maybe substitute some canned salmon (which has low mercury content) instead of eating tuna.

drew
06-17-2003, 06:59 AM
MMMMM... mercury

I mean... tuna :drooling:

Stabber
06-17-2003, 08:44 AM
bah mercury . I've been eating a can of tuna day for the past year and I'm still alive

Lmao @ drew

JohnnyAutoParts
06-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
what's wrong w/ Coffee?

When speaking in terms of physique nothing jumps out at me. Yellow teeth and addiction is what I had in mind. As long as youre not one of those people who are screaming for coffee 15 seconds after you wake up every day of the week. But I do know a lot of WBB members seem to drink it.

drew
06-17-2003, 01:44 PM
:D

I haven't had coffee in 3 years. And I'm actually awake in the morning. (Although it took a while to kick the addiction).

gopher
06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
what's wrong w/ Coffee?
Nothing. There is nothing wrong with coffee. Coffee is the elixir of life. I will not tolerate anyone bad mouthing coffee!

Maybe substitute some canned salmon (which has low mercury content) instead of eating tuna.
I have read that salmon is just as bad as tuna if not worse. Salmon is pretty high up on the food chain meaning it eats a lot of the same contaminated fish that tuna eat. I've also read that the mercury is more of a risk factor for children and pregnant women. Since I am neither I am still eating tuna and/or salmon every day.

bradley
06-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by gopher
[B
I have read that salmon is just as bad as tuna if not worse. Salmon is pretty high up on the food chain meaning it eats a lot of the same contaminated fish that tuna eat. I've also read that the mercury is more of a risk factor for children and pregnant women. Since I am neither I am still eating tuna and/or salmon every day. [/B]

According to this list put out by the FDA salmon (canned or fresh) did not have any detectable levels of mercury where as tuna does contain detectable amounts of mercury. You are correct in that the main concern as far as mercury content is for pregnant and women might become pregnant, but does this mean it should not be a concern for everyone that consumes large amounts of tuna?

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

(the table is located at the bottom of the page:))

Manveet
06-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Consumption advice is unnecessary for the top 10 seafood species, making up about 80 percent of the seafood market--canned tuna, shrimp, pollock, salmon, cod, catfish, clams, flatfish, crabs, and scallops. This is because the methyl mercury levels in these species are all less than 0.2 ppm and few people eat more than the suggested weekly limit of fish (2.2 pounds) for this level of methyl mercury contamination.

That sounds a bit more re-assuring. lol.

Edit.

Maybe not so re-assuring for me since I eat up to 3-4lbs of tuna weekly.

Beast
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by gopher
I have read that salmon is just as bad as tuna if not worse.
No, no. Salmon is one of the safer fishes. It's the tuna and swordfish that have the "dangerous" levels that people have been talking about.

Originally posted by bradley
Maybe substitute some canned salmon (which has low mercury content) instead of eating tuna.
Do you recommend a brand? The canned salmon I've seen is absolutely disgusting... I couldn't even eat any of it. That and the fact that there's about 1/3 of the protein in a can of salmon as opposed to a can of tuna.

bradley
06-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast
Do you recommend a brand? The canned salmon I've seen is absolutely disgusting... I couldn't even eat any of it. That and the fact that there's about 1/3 of the protein in a can of salmon as opposed to a can of tuna.

Might try Chicken of the Sea which has skinless/boneless pink salmon, and it has a milder flavor than most of the other canned salmon.

It does have less protein, but salmon is a good source of omega 3s as well as protein.

Manveet
06-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Canned chicken breast people. It's more expensive though.

JustinASU
06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Well I'm gonna die soon, I eat 4 lbs of tuna weekly

restless
06-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by JustinASU
Well I'm gonna die soon, I eat 4 lbs of tuna weekly

Don't worry, if/when the shaking/muscle wastying/loss of memory/coordination starts you'll still have plenty of time left to stop. Of course, you won't be able to notice the reduced protein synthesis which I did read somewhere happens...

Beast
06-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
Canned chicken breast people. It's more expensive though.
And they're yucky.