PDA

View Full Version : A tuna/mercury poll for all!

Behemoth
06-17-2003, 03:07 PM
I just read the other 2 tuna/mercury threads in diet and nutrition, and I'm seeing this subject come up time and time again.

But what I'm not seeing come up time and time again is anybody with any problems due to mercury.

I'd say most people here eat 5+ cans a week MINIMUM, I eat up to 3 cans a day, and have been for a year.

raniali
06-17-2003, 03:24 PM
i can't remember

isn't memory loss a sign of mercury toxication?

Tryska
06-17-2003, 03:29 PM
i don't really think you are going to see until it comes to time to reproduce. women in particular are susceptible to giving birth to children with birth defects, but it's not a big leap to say it may affect your little swimmers as well.

it's not quite liek swallowing straight quicksilver.

restless
06-17-2003, 03:43 PM
I know people who had. A while ago we where having a discussion on this at the HST forum and when I and others talked about the concerns one poster was very quick to state that he was on a tuna and rice only diet for one year and nothing wrong happened to him. Curiously, after we started talking about possible symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning the guy actually came out and said that during that year he developed a constant shaking in his hands that he couldn't find what the case was. Guess what's one of the symptoms we where talking about? Mercury functions as a very potent neurotoxin, it's no joke. The study I referenced in cats showed that they became letargic after a few months on a tuna only diet, lost energy, and lost motor skills, including coordination. Other more serious symptoms at a further stage will be muscle wastying, loss of strenght, memory, etc....

The mother of a friend of mine also developed a very weird nervous disease, kind of like Parkinsons, after years of only eating fish and not meat. Two serving a day she had. A friend of this same friend who is a fisherman was ordered by his doctor to completely avoid fish after he developed symptoms of poisoning. Again, two or three servings per day.

Obviously they weren't eating only tuna.

So if your only concern is dying a fulminant death, then fear not and eat at will. If you're somewhat scared of developing a neural disease latter and life that will make you lose your hability to function as a normal human been by your own, then maybe there's reason for concern. Like I said before, there's no research proving that a steady long term low level intake of mercury is safe so in this particular case I think the benefit of doubt is in the side of the cautious faction.

restless
06-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Damn it. I thought the pool was about if there is a reason for concern or not. Please disregard my yes vote. If I had any, I didn't notice, then again, I never was much of a fish eater.

Scott S
06-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Yikes... fish has made up at least 3/4 of my meat intake for the last two weeks.

But then I'm stupid and forgetful, anyway, so I have no idea if it's affecting me.

Manveet
06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Mercury never leaves your system completely, like other heavy metals right?

Well, looks like I'll be cutting back on the old tuna from now on.

WestyHeadbanger
06-17-2003, 09:08 PM
The people who posted "YES" please state exactly what your diagnosis by a medical professional was.

restless
06-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
The people who posted "YES" please state exactly what your diagnosis by a medical professional was.

Maybe you should read the the thread before you post.....

restless
06-18-2003, 11:47 AM
And of course, I should read the pool title properly before voting....

Relentless
06-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
Mercury never leaves your system completely, like other heavy metals right?

Well, looks like I'll be cutting back on the old tuna from now on.

correct. mercury is a bioaccumulative toxin.

gino
06-18-2003, 01:41 PM
The risk with tuna comes in the large fresh tuna steaks rather than the cans. Of course, if you eat more than one can every day of your life, the risk is increased, so be wary. However, I'd only be concerned with the tasty tuna steaks, and not consume more than one every month or so.

bob2624
06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
why is that gino?

bradley
06-19-2003, 04:56 PM
I believe this would be due to the size of the fish. The larger tuna are probably used for tuna steaks where as the smaller ones will be canned. The larger the fish the more chance it has to build up mercury in it's system, which would then be eaten by humans.

The larger the fish the more it eats, which in turn could mean more mercury in it's system. This is the reason that the fish with the higest mercury content are large fish that are high on the food chain.

Madd Hatter
06-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Could a symptom be no ****ing gains? Otherwise, I'm not going to sweat it. 3 cans almost every day for 3 years now, 4 cans a day now that I'm on cycle, and I'm fine, thanks. If I can't have kids as a result, all the better, I hate kids.

Budiak
06-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Speaking of the size of the fish, I have heard that the mercury levels in larger species and especially predatory species of fish are far higher than that of the tuna, let alone tuna that is to be canned. Think about that next time you bite into some shark, marlin, or swordfish.

How much mercury is in dolphin?

bradley
06-20-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
Speaking of the size of the fish, I have heard that the mercury levels in larger species and especially predatory species of fish are far higher than that of the tuna, let alone tuna that is to be canned. Think about that next time you bite into some shark, marlin, or swordfish.

Agreed, and unless you are eating multiple cans of tuna on a daily basis there is really no need to worry about it.

How much mercury is in dolphin?

I could not find a specific number, but dolphin was included on the list of fish that contained an average of .3-1.5 ppm of Hg.

Hellrazor
06-21-2003, 07:25 AM
LMAO @ budiak, geez I`ve been eating at least 2 portions of tuna a day for the past 4 years..come to think about it i suffer with short term memory loss constantly, i`ll pick something up and ask someone where it is, I`ll be out, go home for something and leave again without it etc.. DARN TUNA !!!

Maccer101
08-07-2003, 06:49 AM
The type & sizeof the fish is very important, I recently read a study of this (no I can't remember what website), that said the Mercury problem is associated with the large tuna species like Yellowfin (10 parts per million), the small species Skipjack (cheapest) has the same mercury content as other sea fish (I think its about 1 part per million) and shouldn't represent a significant health issue. I've been eating about 300g (11oz) every day for 3 years and I've not experienced any sidddddddddddeeeeeeee efffffffffectsssss.

In short, just eat Skipjack and you'll be OK

Mic Soloist
08-07-2003, 08:31 AM
i eat 1 to 2 cans per day. No problems yet, but this is some sh-tty news...

-peace-

Fenway
08-07-2003, 09:42 AM
i eat one can of tuna a day, have been doing so for the last 6 months irregardless of the other stuff i eat, no ill effects here....

i get protein from other sources as well....tuna gets dull if you eat too much of it every day..i eat enough to just look forward to my meals, whatever they are

Rudee
08-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Typical canned Tuna has trace amounts of Mercury. There is more harmful chemicals in a typical loaf of white bread than there is in a can of tuna.

bradley
08-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Rudee
Typical canned Tuna has trace amounts of Mercury. There is more harmful chemicals in a typical loaf of white bread than there is in a can of tuna.

Could you elaborate in this please.:)

dirty-c
08-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Since I'm hurt, I'm not currently lifting, but before I got hurt (like 2 years ago), I was eating 3-4 cans a day, everyday. I heard nothing but good things about Tuna. I would wait until it was on sale for like 3/1$ and buy 100 cans (no sh*t, I would actually buy like 100). The look on the checkout girl's face when I would wheel in the cart was priceless......

If tuna does contain dangerous amounts of mercury, I better start writing my will now.......

Rudee
08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Could you elaborate in this please.:)

Just a different perspective on what we deem to be healty foods.

Mic Soloist
08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
I was feeling uncoordinated today...

If the effects hit you will it last forever or what???

bradley
08-08-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Rudee

Just a different perspective on what we deem to be healty foods.

While we might have a different perspective, you did make the statement that there were more harmful substances in a loaf of white bread than in a can of tuna. I was just curious as to whether this statement actually had any merit or just a form of exaggeration.

I am not trying to cause an argument, but if the statement was accurate I was curious as to the reason why.

Maccer101
08-11-2003, 04:00 AM
Mercury poisoning makes you go insane, so its not too good. This is were the saying mad as a hatter came from, as mercury used to be used in part of the hat making process.