PDA

View Full Version : if I'm trying to gain weight...

Jane
08-19-2001, 12:09 PM
This question is a bit neanderthal, but I hope you excuse me.

If I am trying to gain weight (doc's orders) and I'm not doing any lifting (stupid doc :mad:), will eating a high protein diet do anything for me? Of course, it is preferable to gain muscle when one is gaining weight, but I would rather eat ice cream than tuna, you know what I mean?

For example: Right now, I am eating three larger meals a day that are leaning towards carbs more than anything else but still have some protein and fat. I also need a couple of snacks a day, and I would rather have fruit or frozen yogurt than protein bars or protein smoothies. Since I am going to gain weight anyway, and I am not lifting, should I just eat whatever I want pretty much?

Jane
08-19-2001, 12:12 PM
wtf? theres not suposed to be a smiley face in there! :mad:

:bash:

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Why did the doc say not to lift?

PowerManDL
08-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Well first of all, is there some medical reason you can't lift, or is the doc just telling you not to do it?

If you aren't lifting, any weight you gain won't be good--

Jane
08-19-2001, 05:34 PM
I don't know what he's thinking. But basically, I'm underweight and I have to gain a bunch. Once I get to--and I quote him--"a certain level" I can lift, and I'm "not there yet." About 10 pounds away, maybe. I think it is supposed to be motivation for me to gain weight, because I am kind of scared of that, but I really do need to.

And I know that most of my weight gain is going to be fat. I was just wondering if eating a lot of protein versus eating whatever could have some positive effect on my muscle tissue, since I killed off a lot of it by undereating.

Does that make any sense?

Frankster
08-19-2001, 05:37 PM
absolutelly does... you will gain some fat AS WELL as muscle... listen to the doctor.

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 05:38 PM
Well your doctor is an idiot then...

If you don't lift and eat more, you are going to gain pure fat, period.

If you lift and eat more you will gain some muscle, look and fell better, while adding little to no fat, and possibly losing some.

Eating more protein won't help if you don't lift.

So, basically, fook your doctor and lift.

Frankster
08-19-2001, 05:41 PM
basically fook cack and listen to your doc.. if you starved yoursell previously or underate.. or watever.. and you lost some muscle like you said.. you will gain some back by eating more without doing anyweights.. but you will also gain more fat than if you lifted... if the doctor said it wasn't good to train before you gained 10 lbs.. then listen to him .. not some 15 y/o know it all....

I'm sorry cack.. nothing personal.. you jsut crossed the line there... we're in no position to contradict a doctor.. even if you're an overeducated fool.

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 05:45 PM
Doctors are fucking idiots when it comes to training and dieting!!!!

Sure, they know medicine, but they know a hell of a lot less than you and I, and I would never take a speck of training/diet info from my doctor.

If you really think doctors are training and dieting guru's than you are an idiot. If i listened to my doctor I'd be about 120lbs and weak as hell...and fat.

And I'm flattered that you think I know it all, because obviously it's an assumption you made based on what I've said because I've never claimed to know it all.

Frankster
08-19-2001, 05:58 PM
no its an assumption I've made :D j/k cack..

Im not saying they are training and diet gurus.. liek you said.. the majority of them know as much about that that I know about chinese grammar lol

What I was saying is that we are in no position to contradict doctors on this board... because.. there could be a reason that he keeps her from training until she gains 10 lbs.. that we don't know about.. that is all.

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 06:02 PM
According to her, he just said "gain 10lbs and you can lift"...wtf difference does it make if she's 10lbs of fat heavier, perhaps she can turn the fat into muscle that way, LMAO.

BTW, I have had an eating disorder, and if I listened to my doctor my situation would be MUCH worse....

Tryska
08-19-2001, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking jane's current weight WILL NOT support that kind of activity...if i remember correctly.

Jane - get as much protein as you can (up to 1g/lb) to start repairing the damaged tissue. fat will happen, accept it and work on it when you've made it back to a healthy weight-range.

Craig James
08-19-2001, 06:19 PM
Cack, I have to go with Frankster here - the doc has seen Jane, examined her and knows her medical history. Perhaps doctors in general don't know the most about diet and training, but this doc sure knows alot more about Jane's situation then any of us here. Which means I would certainly follow his/her advice over your's in this instance.

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 06:23 PM
Well I suppose Jane fookin me and listening to her doc ain't such a bad thing...

Frankster
08-19-2001, 06:29 PM
lol

Jane
08-19-2001, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice+support. You too, Cack.

I am not going to go lift, don't worry. I would never go against my doc, or he will make me drink Ensure until I gain endless pounds. :) I'm just trying to adjust to all this new bodyweight and it gets a little tough sometimes, cause its not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but I'll be fine. What I am going to "fook" is my nutritional plan. Just every now and then. Because getting my 2 starch exchanges and 2 protein exchanges in my snack is great and all, but once in every couple of days, I just want some ice cream. Like now. I'm going to go have some, and enjoy it, and when I'm up to my required weight, I can lift again, and then you won't be able to get me off this board. I know you guys aren't doctors (even though you are incredibly amazingly smart) and I think the true importance of this conversation was that it reassured me that I am not a lazy bum. I guess what I'm going to wind up doing for a while is eat a more or less balanced diet, with, I guess I can call it, a little more "slack."

But...<imitating arnold> I'll be back. :D

Cackerot69
08-19-2001, 06:40 PM
Lucky nutritional plan....

Well all I can say is don't take what your doc says as gospel, and get a second opinion...

Perhaps go to someone specialized in training and nutrition rather than someone specialized in medicine?

PowerManDL
08-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Let it go mullet lad.

In all honesty, I'd have to agree-- regardless of what her gains will be, gaining 10 lbs isn't that much to worry about. But if she's been undereating and is below a certain threshold, which it appears she may well be, those 10 lbs might just do wonders.

Let her gain a few, then start on the lifting.

As far as the nutritional program, hey, do what it takes. When you're "bulking" as it seems you are now, don't feel bad about eating *anything,* ice cream included. Go for it.

Jane
08-20-2001, 06:01 AM
:D

Cackerot69
08-20-2001, 06:04 AM
Stfu powerman...I'm bigger than you so pffft.

PowerManDL
08-20-2001, 11:45 AM
Uh, check again mullet boy. I'm about 167 right now, and you're what, 165? Not to mention that I'm still outlifting you.

Craig James
08-20-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Uh, check again mullet boy. I'm about 167 right now, and you're what, 165? Not to mention that I'm still outlifting you.

Looks like we have a welter weight show down going on - my money is on Power!

Yaz
08-20-2001, 12:45 PM
Mine too.

Drunk off Captain Morgan, or drunk of Kool-Aid. It ain't hard.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
Well your doctor is an idiot then...

If you don't lift and eat more, you are going to gain pure fat, period.

If you lift and eat more you will gain some muscle, look and fell better, while adding little to no fat, and possibly losing some.

Eating more protein won't help if you don't lift.

So, basically, fook your doctor and lift.

*** IMO a lot of docs are way off base from my own personal experiences with clients etc.... But I don't ever tell them to go against their orders. Your doc may be a idiot but he/she knows alot more about your personal health history then we do.

Proteen
08-20-2001, 02:01 PM
Cack do you really have a mullet? Please post a pic that would make my day! Bwahahaha:D

Yaz
08-20-2001, 02:10 PM
LOL

PowerManDL
08-20-2001, 02:11 PM
He's already posted his picture, along with a soundbyte.

I've still got chills from "Hello my future girlfriend. This is what I sound like."

Jane
08-20-2001, 02:18 PM
ROTFL!

:evillaugh Sorry Cack, mullets are against my philosophy of life.

Proteen
08-20-2001, 03:20 PM
can someone give me a link to the mullet head?

Cackerot69
08-20-2001, 05:21 PM
Haha, no mullet.