PDA

View Full Version : Could playing basketball be considered HIIT?

TiGeR AK
06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Because i know i go on 15-30 second bursts where i run all out.. and then slow down to a jog... then burst again... etc.

could it be a form of HIIT if i make it into one?

Because to me, playing ball is 6.02x10^23 times more fun than running around a track.

SoulOfKoRea
06-17-2003, 04:47 PM
I don't think so, because you'd be running like a madman and most likely injure yourself

LAM
06-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
Because i know i go on 15-30 second bursts where i run all out.. and then slow down to a jog... then burst again... etc.

could it be a form of HIIT if i make it into one?

Because to me, playing ball is 6.02x10^23 times more fun than running around a track.

If you regularly play basketball your body is conditioned to that type of exercise. You need to do something else for cardio

drew
06-18-2003, 07:24 AM
We have a mole in the house :p

I seriously doubt you're going all out for 15-30 seconds while playing basketball. That said, ditto what LAM said.

AlexBBbegginer
06-18-2003, 11:36 AM
well you dont sprint to failure in basket ball, you just run when necessary, you also arent jogging all the time since it stops every now and then.

Ed C.
06-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Eh...depends on what all out sprinting is for you. If I were to sprint for 15 seconds as hard as I could...I'd probably run into the wall at the other end of the court. The court's not long enough in my opinion for HIIT.

gino
06-18-2003, 01:33 PM
I'd say football is closer to HIIT. Basketball is far from it.

Y2A
06-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by gino
I'd say football is closer to HIIT. Basketball is far from it.

:withstupi

Behemoth
06-18-2003, 02:20 PM
So if you do HIIT for a while it's stops becoming as effective?

GhettoSmurf
06-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
So if you do HIIT for a while it's stops becoming as effective?

not in my eyes.

TiGeR AK
06-19-2003, 02:33 AM
well... you're not always running straight lines in basketball.

you are constantly running laterally as well, and defending and dribbling the ball, and running pretty hard for short blasts.

I'm not saying it's exactly the same as HIIT, but was just wondering if it would be a good alternative to running around the track once in a while. Also wondering if it is not as catabolic as running 3 miles on the treadmill.

gino
06-19-2003, 07:43 AM
well... you're not always running straight lines in basketball.

you are constantly running laterally as well, and defending and dribbling the ball, and running pretty hard for short blasts.

I'm not saying it's exactly the same as HIIT, but was just wondering if it would be a good alternative to running around the track once in a while. Also wondering if it is not as catabolic as running 3 miles on the treadmill.

It's great exercise, just not very close to HIIT. It keeps you in good shape and improves your agility, and its fun, so I'd say it's a great alternative to any other conditioning. If you're worried about catabolism, I'd suggest walking on the treadmill instead of running, and playing b-ball a couple times a week to stay in shape.

iLUDEd
06-19-2003, 10:59 PM
could you use skipping rope? go all out for 15-30 seconds, take a minute's rest, then repeat?

Sara
06-21-2003, 09:50 AM
How about rugby, thats total HIIT you have to sprint about 15-20secs at a time and I played flank(crazy sprinting there)

bob2624
06-21-2003, 09:53 AM
If they are really all out sprints, then yes, otherwise, no. Here is the thing thoguh, even if it couldn't be considered HIIT, does that mean that it is not a good cardio and fat burning workout and that you have to go run again aftwerwods? I dont think so. If you get a real good sweat going and you are really pushing yourself, why go run again and risk overtraining?