PDA

View Full Version : Front Squats.........

Spiderman
02-03-2001, 05:42 AM
Any of you guys do these? I tried doin'em last week on a Smith Machine and it really hurt my clavicle. Any suggestions? In addition to that, the angle was really weird wich made it quite hard as well. Doc (GymDoc) wanted me to do'em but I couldn't. Thanks bro's. Peace. :D

devastation25
02-03-2001, 06:29 AM
not sure what to tell you about the pain. have you tried doing them with free weights instead of the smith machine. i started doing these instead of leg press and have seen pretty good results. just give the free weights a try and see if it helps any.

chris mason
02-03-2001, 08:50 AM
If they are uncomfortable don't do them. Front squats are a specialty movement that targets the quads more than a standard squat. The standard squat is a better overall exercise. Front squats are not necessary by any means, so if they are not right for you, drop em!

Frankster
02-04-2001, 06:38 AM
To reduce the pain to your clavicles, make sure you keep your elbows high troughout the movement. This will contract your front delts and serve as a cushion.

IBLiftin
02-04-2001, 08:49 AM
looks like spidie needs some bigger delts, lol. JK.....

Paul Stagg
02-05-2001, 07:33 AM
If you are flexible enough, try using a clean grip - that might help a little... although the weight will still be resting on your shoulders.

A pad on the bar might help (I usually don't suggest that, but for front squats I don't think it hurts.)

Cackerot69
02-05-2001, 09:58 AM
Paul, what do you have against a bar pad for back squats?

Paul Stagg
02-05-2001, 10:37 AM
Depending on the pad, it can put all of the weight on your spine, as opposed to spreading it out over your traps and shoulders.

Joe Black
02-05-2001, 10:46 AM
Not that I use one but thats interesting and something I have never thought about before..

I am assuming the narrower the pad, the more direct pressure on the spine ?

kat
02-05-2001, 12:11 PM
I do fronts and I dont have a problem at all..of course I dont use the weight you guys do either.

Max0d
05-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Front squats are a great exercise. It can take quite a while to get used to them and find a comfortable position for the bar. If you want to incorporate them into your routine then you are going to have to lighten the load considerably and just take it from there. I gaurantee in time you will get used to them and build up the weight. From my experience they can also help with your regular squat in the long run. I find I can feel my quads getting worked a hell of alot more after a couple of sets of them as opposed to regular squats. BTW Chris what exactly do you mean by a 'speciality movement'?

Nights
05-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I like them. Never been able to get more then about a plate and a half on there just cause I stop breathing when it presses down. Think it might be how I rest the bar, but then again maybe not.

Don't do them on a regular basis. Normally toss them in when I'm switching up routines and am just doing a temporary routine for a few weeks, playing around with some exercises I wouldn't normally be doing.