PDA

View Full Version : question about topic in q&a on body building

karkid
06-17-2003, 10:29 PM
it says that for bulking/maintenance/fat loss you need x cals per lb of bodywieght, is that lean body mass or overall bodyweight?

karkid
06-17-2003, 10:43 PM
ok found another question
it says 1.5 to 2 grams protein/1.5 grams carbs per pound of bodyweight plus 40 to 50 grams of fat, when i calculate these out, it falls into the maintenance level of calories, where do i cut?

Sackattack
06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Karkid,

Excellent question.

This is what I do. When bulking I usually plan for a 40/30/30 split
carb, fat, protein. Using 1-1.5 g of protein per total pounds of bodyweight to start. Then I adjust total cals up or down until I gain about .5% of my bodyweight per week. I don't buy into the whole pound per week gig because it is a blanket statement. Its like "you should drink eight glasses of water per day". It just doesn't make sense for an athlete to consume as much as an infant. See what I'm saying?

Then when I want to cut I back off my cals by about 10% keeping the same ratios. After about two weeks I check my weight and adjust cals until I am losing no more than 1% of my weight per week. I was at about 230 before I started this cut. Now I'm at about 217. If you weighed 160 and tried to cut 2.3 pounds per week you'd probably start to feel like poo real quick. I almost always use percentages instead of concrete numbers.

Hope this helps.

harryhoudini66
06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Multiply your body weight by -
¨ 10 if you are interested in losing body fat
¨ 12 if you want to gain muscle and lose body fat
¨ 15 if you are interested in gaining muscle mass

If you weigh 170 lbs, for example, and you want to gain muscle and lose body fat, multiply 170 by 12. That gives you a daily caloric intake of 2,040. If you have been using this amount for a few weeks and you are finding it difficult to make progress, try adjusting the number by 100 calories or so to see how this benefits you.

Use the 40/40/20 nutrient breakdown for your calories:
2,040 x .40 = 816 calories from protein (204 grams)
2,040 x .40 = 816 calories from carbohydrate (204 grams)
2,040 x .20 = 408 calories from fat (45 grams)

Divide these numbers by six to determine your nutrient breakdown for each meal: 204 grams/6 = 34 grams of protein and carbohydrate per meal 45 grams/6 = 7.5 grams of fat per meal

bradley
06-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by karkid
it says that for bulking/maintenance/fat loss you need x cals per lb of bodywieght, is that lean body mass or overall bodyweight?

I would stay away from those bodyweight formulas because they do not take into account things like metabolic rate, bf%, activity level etc. Obviously a 200lb. individual at 10% bf would need more cals to maintain than a person at 200lbs. and 15% bf.

I would recommend increasing/decreasing your cals in small increments each week until you are gaining/losing the desired amount of weight each week.

For example, if you are wanting to lose weight and you are currently taking in 2800 cals per day. I would drop cals by a small amount (~300 cals maybe) which would put you at 2500 cals per day. Stay at this calorie intake for a week and weigh yourself at the end of the week. If you are losing weight then stick with that calorie intake and if not just drop cals by a small amount and repeat the process.

bradley
06-18-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by karkid
ok found another question
it says 1.5 to 2 grams protein/1.5 grams carbs per pound of bodyweight plus 40 to 50 grams of fat,

1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight would be plenty, and I would recommend ~25% of you cals come from fat. Most of your fats should be from healthy sources such as fish oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc. This should help ensure that you are getting adequate amounts of EFAs in your diet.

After you have added in the amount of protien and fat that you need then you can fill in the rest of your daily cals with carbs. There is no specific amount of carbs you need in your diet and using a formula to calculate carb intake would not be the best approach IMO.:)

when i calculate these out, it falls into the maintenance level of calories, where do i cut?

Another reason why those formulas do not work. Everyone is not exactly the same and you have to customize your diet to fit your needs. If you follow what I recommended above it should take care of this problem.

bradley
06-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Multiply your body weight by -
¨ 10 if you are interested in losing body fat
¨ 12 if you want to gain muscle and lose body fat
¨ 15 if you are interested in gaining muscle mass

Actually the bw formulas I have seen look something like this

12xbw lose weight
15xbw to maintain
18xbw to gain

Although I do not put much stock into them, and at best they might could be used as a rough estimate.

If you weigh 170 lbs, for example, and you want to gain muscle and lose body fat, multiply 170 by 12. That gives you a daily caloric intake of 2,040. If you have been using this amount for a few weeks and you are finding it difficult to make progress, try adjusting the number by 100 calories or so to see how this benefits you.

Gaining muscle and losing bf is not impossible but the chances of you gaining muscle and losing bf are slim at best. The exception would be unless you are new to training or using AAS. I can certainly say that using a bw formula to calculate your calories is not going to mean that you gain LBM and lose bf.

Paul Stagg
06-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Those formulas are a good starting point, but you have to tailor your intake to your individual needs.

harryhoudini66
06-18-2003, 11:04 AM
I am super confused now. I recently increased my calories from 1400 to 2100 based on the 411 I got from some peeps here. I also increased my Omega 3 fat intake for those same reasons. My goal is to loose 32 pounds of fat and try to maintain lean muscle mass. If in the end I have to sacrifice muscle so be it. I just am tired of being so fat.

My calories are 40 percent from carbs, 40 percent from protein and 20 percent from fats. Of the 20 percent of fats, about half are from Natural PB and fish oil caps. I am also taking Creatine Monohydrate and Xenadrine RFA-1. I do cardio and weights 3 timers per week. Drink a gallon of water per day. Is my diet correct for my goals?

I want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly. I want to do the best I can this time around. Las time I dieted, I did not care at all about muscle. I went from 200 pounds all the way down to 145 in about 4-5 months. Once I was Bruce Lee thin I decided to eat and train for muscle gain. I went up to 175 of which most was muscle. I donít think I was as informed then as I am now, but I still managed some awesome gains. Now that I have all this information, I am more confused then I have ever been. Please help me out. Check out my diet below and provide me with instant gratification by telling me if I need to adjust anything. I am currently 218 pounds of pure unadulterated fat.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=harryhoudini66

P.S. I am so sorry to be asking you guys this question three days in a row, but as I mentioned some info I get from day to day contradicts each other. Help me please oh please!

bradley
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
My calories are 40 percent from carbs, 40 percent from protein and 20 percent from fats. Of the 20 percent of fats, about half are from Natural PB and fish oil caps. I am also taking Creatine Monohydrate and Xenadrine RFA-1. I do cardio and weights 3 timers per week. Drink a gallon of water per day. Is my diet correct for my goals?

Well the macro ratios are really not that important as long as you are getting in adequate amounts of protein and EFAs. I think 1g of protien per lb. of bw is plenty, and it sounds as though you are getting in good amounts of EFAs.

From looking at your diet you could probably drop the protein down a little and add in some more fat. IMO ~25% daily cals from fat is a good number and this should make sure that you are getting in plenty of EFAs. Fill in the rest of your daily cals with carbs, and I would stick with low GI carbs which will help with appetite control.

If you are creating a small calorie deficit through diet, training, or a combination of the two you should be fine. Just shoot to lose a small amount of weight each week and don't try to lose too much too fast.

harryhoudini66
06-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Thank you sir. I plan on loosing 1-2 pounds weekly. I hope that is not too drastic.

GhettoSmurf
06-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Thank you sir. I plan on loosing 1-2 pounds weekly. I hope that is not too drastic.

depending on your current weight i'd aim more for 1 pound a week. if you were DRASYTICALLY overweight, then maybe 2 pounds a week would work.

harryhoudini66
06-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, I am 5'9 so I am quite a porker and 2 pounds sounds about right.