PDA

View Full Version : High cal/Low cal alternating days

EdgeCrusher
06-18-2003, 12:19 AM
On the weekends (thursday to sunday for me) I eat probably 3k calories and on the weekdays maybe 1600 max. It all started with my cheat days turning into cheat weekends and I cut from weekdays to compensate. Any thoughts? Good/Bad?

I'm cutting, working out pretty hard, and taking Xenadrine EFX.

bradley
06-18-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
On the weekends (thursday to sunday for me) I eat probably 3k calories and on the weekdays maybe 1600 max. It all started with my cheat days turning into cheat weekends and I cut from weekdays to compensate. Any thoughts? Good/Bad?

I'm cutting, working out pretty hard, and taking Xenadrine EFX.

Calorie cycling can be beneficial from a metabolic standpoint. Since you are cutting your cals so low during the week it is probably a good thing to have a few days of above maintenance calories. Although I think you would make more progress by upping cals a little during the week and then maybe have one or two maintenance/refeed days throughout the week.

It really depends on your bf% and the degree of calorie deficit that you are creating throughout the week. Just remember that you are not in a calorie deficit from Thurs-Sunday so you will not be loosing weight so therefor you will end up dieting for a longer period of time.

What do you estimate your maintenance calories to be and what is your bf%? That info would help.:)

raniali
06-18-2003, 12:17 PM
calorie cycling has always been in the back of my head as a possible very effective approach to dieting or bulking or even maintaining. i am currently doing my own little experiment that has involved some tweaking here and there - but i must admit that i am much happier with this approach (calorie cycling) to cutting than i have been with any other ..... for me.

if you continue to see good results with your plan, than it works for you and that's enough. but you never mentioned if you are making any progress or not....?

Silverback
06-18-2003, 12:45 PM
I started my cut 8 weeks ago today and thus far i have not felt hungry once! I put this down to calorie cycling, or more importantly keeping Protein/Fat Constant and cycling carbs.

@ week seven i had lost 10lbs and im willing to wager that 95% of all loss was fat. Now that ive started week 8 refeeding every 7 days will occur to sort my leptin out (Lyle M)

I think the great thing about cycling is your body keeps having to react and it promotes a healthy metabolism, I still havent done any cardio, only Sprints, tempo and Oly lifting.

EC 1600cals through the week is too low, bump it up to 1800-2200 and use you 'cheat days' on sat and sun. EDIT- (Missed the cutting mentioned)

B-R

hngacurv
06-18-2003, 04:38 PM
As long as you aren't gaining fat and are putting on the muscle I wouldn't worry about it.

EdgeCrusher
06-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Maintanance cal: about 2k, but not sure.
Body Fat %: ~25
Is it working? Not sure - I gained till 220 lbs when I bulked for awhile, and now I'm 215, but I would say that's more so because it's easy to lose a little weight (which is where I was before the bulk) when I was eating so much.

bradley
06-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
Maintanance cal: about 2k, but not sure.
Body Fat %: ~25

I think at first you could possibly see some weight loss. If your maintenance calorie intake is ~2000 cals then you are creating a small calorie deficit 3 days per week, but eating at 1000 calorie surplus 4 days per week. This obviously is not going to offer very good results and if you are losing weight I would imagine that the weight loss will begin to plateau shortly.

Maybe a better approach would be to stay at 1600 cals (assuming maintenance cals of 2K) Monday-Friday and then try and eat at maintenance cals or slightly over on Saturday and Sunday. Eating over maintenance cals is not going to really have any metabolic benefits until you get to ~15% bf, but it of course would offer some psychological benefits.