PDA

View Full Version : A question for bradley

Behemoth
06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Since you've taught me that cal in vs cals out is really most of dieting and you could eat junk food just less and lose weight, I was wondering it pertained to bulking.

From what we all know it's suggested to eat 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight since this is the maximum that can be utilized.

So that's going to cap off protein at 1000cals or under.

Since my maintence is around 2700, I'd say a fair bulk would be 4000 cals.

Now I've already used 1000, so I got 3000 left, EFA's are next. First is there some sort of number I should shoot for that theres really no point in going over (like with the 1-1.5g for protein)?

Say I decide to take in about 110g of EFA's so that comes out to about 1000cals, now I've got 2000 calories left to fill my bulk.

Since like dieting, it all comes into cals in vs cals out. Then bulking, when I fill in with the remaining carbs, it shouldn't make a difference (pertaining to muscle/fat gain) what kind they are (simple/complex, low GI/high GI) since the caloric excess is whats going to determine my fat gain.

bradley
06-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Since my maintence is around 2700, I'd say a fair bulk would be 4000 cals.

If your maintenance cals are 2700 then 4000 seems a bit high IMO. I would just work my way up gradually over the course of a few weeks.

Now I've already used 1000, so I got 3000 left, EFA's are next. First is there some sort of number I should shoot for that theres really no point in going over (like with the 1-1.5g for protein)?

Say I decide to take in about 110g of EFA's so that comes out to about 1000cals, now I've got 2000 calories left to fill my bulk.

There is really no optimal amount of EFAs and from what I have read and seen recommended ~25% of daily cals from fat is a good number. Of course the minimum requirements have been established.

Fat intake would also be dependant on the type of fat you are consuming. Total fat intake would need to be higher if you are taking in a larger percentage of your cals from saturated fats, as opposed to someone who is taking in the majority of their cals from unsaturated sources.

Since like dieting, it all comes into cals in vs cals out. Then bulking, when I fill in with the remaining carbs, it shouldn't make a difference (pertaining to muscle/fat gain) what kind they are (simple/complex, low GI/high GI) since the caloric excess is whats going to determine my fat gain. [/B]

In the long run I don't think you are going to see any difference. Once you go beyong that "optimal" calorie intake you will begin to gain bf, no matter where the extra cals are coming from.

I do not think that basing your bulking diet around high GI carbs would be wise, and the main reason I say that would be appetite control. Also having high insulin levels throughout the day would not very health conscious either.

YellowJacket
06-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow, Agreed with Bradley on all accounts.....

:)