PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in liquid protein?

Sinep
06-18-2003, 07:19 PM
It just seems that eggwhites, protein shake get digested so fast that you have to wonder if they do something else than give liquid poo.

Sinep
06-19-2003, 06:50 AM
I see that we have some very strong controversial opinions here. Lets keep this discussion clean, argue with class please.

ElPietro
06-19-2003, 06:53 AM
If it gets digested then you would be getting the protein benefit. If it just went through your system then it wouldn't be getting digested at all no?

Sinep
06-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Ok, then what if it doesn't get digested ? Solid protein like tuna takes a while to go down, liquid protein on the other hand goes straight through.

Sinep
06-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Nevermind, it has got to be digested or else it would come out the same way it went in, though I'm still skeptical about the protein benefit you get out of it.

Jim Rob
06-19-2003, 08:37 AM
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have heard from many profs. and nutritionists for their athletes that whey protein is a waste of money. They say that most of it is not digested but excreted mainly in the urine. I used whey for about 4 years and although I made gains while taking it, I made the same gains while not taking it.

ElPietro
06-19-2003, 08:45 AM
But they would probably suggest drinking juice to stay healthy right? Is it because it's a liquid that you guys think it's wasted? Then what about all the other fluids that you take in? Are they all wasted too? Whey has a high bioavailability, so it doesn't take THAT long. I don't see any discernable difference in my urine when I take a protein shake, so if it is being wasted it is coming out with no apparent change in smell, colour or consistency. So I personally don't think I buy that.

Ace
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jim Rob
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have heard from many profs. and nutritionists for their athletes that whey protein is a waste of money. They say that most of it is not digested but excreted mainly in the urine. I used whey for about 4 years and although I made gains while taking it, I made the same gains while not taking it. I do have also heard this.

drew
06-19-2003, 10:06 AM
I never have problems with passing liquified protein too fast.

GonePostal
06-19-2003, 10:07 AM
It is because that whey and (if conviently eggs also) have a high bioavailibilty thus can be quickly digested. This allows for a large "protien spike", where you have a lot of AA floating around in your blood stream. They say this is a waste because protien can not be stored in any real means in the body. So your body won't use all the AA's floating around the body before it is excreted. The problem is Postworkout your body needs a lot of protien and fast... If they think that whey is useless and a waste of money they must think eggs are too... Eggs have a high BA and are only 2nd to whey...

bradley
06-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Sinep
It just seems that eggwhites, protein shake get digested so fast that you have to wonder if they do something else than give liquid poo.

Are you referring to raw egg whites? If so then the digestibility is ~50% I believe, where as cooked egg protein is closer to 90%.

bradley
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by GonePostal
It is because that whey and (if conviently eggs also) have a high bioavailibilty thus can be quickly digested. This allows for a large "protien spike", where you have a lot of AA floating around in your blood stream. They say this is a waste because protien can not be stored in any real means in the body. So your body won't use all the AA's floating around the body before it is excreted. The problem is Postworkout your body needs a lot of protien and fast... If they think that whey is useless and a waste of money they must think eggs are too... Eggs have a high BA and are only 2nd to whey...

I agree. Whey digests so rapidly that the liver is flooded with AAs, which it does not need at that particular moment. The free amino acid pool in the body is tightly regulated so the AAs are unable to be stored there, and the body has to do something with the extra AAs. Most of these "extra" amino acids will be converted to glucose by the liver. The protein is still getting "used" so to speak just not used for muscle recovery or repair. This is not a problem with proteins that take a while to be digested, such is the case with caisen.

Manveet
06-19-2003, 01:53 PM
what about combining whey protein with other forms of protein such as casein. Does this combination somehow considerably lower the rate at which the liver and blood stream is flooded with AAs. What about mixing whey with other macros such as fat and low gi carbs?

bradley
06-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
what about combining whey protein with other forms of protein such as casein. Does this combination somehow considerably lower the rate at which the liver and blood stream is flooded with AAs. What about mixing whey with other macros such as fat and low gi carbs?

Yes mixing whey with something like casien would slow the digestion of the whey, but to what extent I am not sure. Adding fat to meals (example peanut butter, etc) or low GI carbs would also slow gastric emptying. The addition of liquid fats would not have any effect on the rate of gastric emptying.

bob2624
06-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Post workout is protein with some type of sugar... pref dextrose just so that the protein is not converted to glucose and the dextrose creates an insulin spike and is then processed as energy and the protein goes to muscle growth/repair.(run-on)

anyway, fats also slow the absorbsion of protein, so if you want it to digest slower, take it with fat.

Casin also has a slower absorption rate than whey protein and in many studies has been proven to actually promote tissue growth and repair more than whey protein(but i find that studies are usually wrong).

A mix of casin and whey protein is becomming more prevelant these days. Many protein powders that you can buy now are pre-mixed with casin and whey. And "they" say that this is now the way to go(a mix of both whey and casin).

pretty much just elaborated on what bradley said...

bradley
06-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bob2624
A mix of casin and whey protein is becomming more prevelant these days. Many protein powders that you can buy now are pre-mixed with casin and whey. And "they" say that this is now the way to go(a mix of both whey and casin).

If you are going to have a post workout shake followed by a whole food meal shortly after then I think whey would be ideal, but if not then one might argue that a whey/casein blend post workout would be ideal.

Casin also has a slower absorption rate than whey protein and in many studies has been proven to actually promote tissue growth and repair more than whey protein(but i find that studies are usually wrong).

Well I would agree with the studies because of the slower release of AAs that casein provides, but I think you would get pretty much the same effect from eating animal proteins which will provide a slower release of AAs as well.

hemants
06-23-2003, 06:45 AM
As long as you're consuming protein throughout the day in medium doses, it doesn't matter if it's solid or liquid.

On the other hand, if you tried to consume 100g of protein at one sitting, a steak would probably result in more AA's to muscle tissue than whey for reasons stated.