PDA

View Full Version : Hard gainer?

cscvendor
06-18-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm sure that this information has been posted time and time again by the many experts in this group. I apologize if this is useless information for the group, I just found it helpful since I too am a 'hard gainer'. I found the article below and it contains a few gems....

Gaining weight

EAT MORE CALORIES THEN YOU BURN=>GAIN WEIGHT
EAT LESS CALORIES THEN YOU BURN=>LOSE WEIGHT

However you have to watch what kind of calories they are, stay away from saturated fats and high sugar/sodium foods. A general rule of thumb is to eat 500 more calories a day. If you find you cannot gain weight or don't have an appetite try these simple

tricks:

Once you have eaten and are completely full, stuff in a few extra bites no matter how full you may be and do this at each meal, believe me your appetite will grow and the extra food adds up.
Avoid Foods high on the glycemic index (sugars), try to keep your blood sugar at a stable level by not taking in to many carbs at once, spread them throughout the day.

Eat frequent small meals. I eat 7 meals a day and get in many more calories that way, just make sure its good food and not unhealthy snacks.

Eat your meal without a drink and after your completely full then drink some fluids and this way you got more room to cram in stuff.

Its all in the mind. If you want to get weight your gonna have to eat. don't think of it as putting on fat, think of it as future muscle and don't feel guilty for bingeing on junk food once a while everyone does it, just try not to repeat it too often.

If that doesn't help try making eating fun by visualizing the food as a airplane and your mouth as the airport and make a safe landing.

Gaining 10 pounds in a year is normal and good.

Gaining 20 pounds in a year is good news.

Gaining 30 pounds in a year is a genetic gift or "beginners gains".

Gaining 40 pounds in a yearÖmost of it is probably fat and you shouldn't assume that just cause your lifting all the weight is muscle. Try and keep yourself at around 15% bodyfat if your male and 20 % bodyfat if your female. This percentage can vary with dieting and gaining phases yet it is unwise to have too much fat on your body or too little. Being too low a bodyfat for too long can be unhealthy as fat is a cushion in your body and holds your internal organs in place and this can cause health problems; being over 20-25% can lead to many health problems such as heart disease and other complications.

A common misconception is that you donít eat fat you donít get fat and thatís bunk. Extra Calories are stored as fat its that simple, however almost all the fat eaten is turned into fat so the amount of fat eaten must be controlled. Try to eat unsaturated fats if you can since these are broken down much easier. Olive and flax seed oils are your best bet since they contain good cholesterol, and Olive oil can be used in just about anything added to salads, to cook with or even spreading it on toast.

Mass shakes are garbage being mostly sugars and other crap, I would suggest you eat peanut butter sandwiches and other Complex Carbohydrates like potatoes, instead of Sugars. Save your money of the muscle in the bottle crap and buy some protein powder if you find it hard to get enough protein in your diet.

Think of your total caloric intake in units. Lets say you ingest 300 calories a day then you would have 3000 units, 1 gram of fat takes 9 units and carbs/protein take 4 each. So what you would do is balance it to equal your allotted unit count. Now first get enough protein in your diet so lets say your 200 lbs, a good idea is to get 175-275 grams of protein in your diet each day so that would be:

If you are non-athletic and simply want a good diet then try to get 150 -200 grams of protein a day. For athletes try to get 200-275 grams of protein a day, this is assuming you weight 200 lbs at 10% bodyfat.

175-275 grams protein X 4 calories a gram = 700->1100 calories

Now from there you would add in the remaining carbohydrates and fats.

3000 Calories per day X 40% Total calories / 4 (Calories per gram Carbohydrate) = 300 grams Carbohydrate = 1200 Calories.

3000 Calories per day X 30 % Total calories / 9 (Calories per gram Fat) = 100 grams of Fat = 900 Calories.

The Problem with "THE ZONE" diet is that the percentage can make you have more protein than you need, so what I do is check my total protein count then add in Carbs and Fats based on the percentages. There is many diet splits out there but in general most agree to having fat as 20-30 % of your diet, from there Carbs and Proteins get adjusted depending on the program.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD FOOD

YatesNightBlade
06-19-2003, 04:41 AM
Most people are classed as "Hard Gainers". It's normally used by people who don't train hard enough.

GhettoSmurf
06-19-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Most people are classed as "Hard Gainers". It's normally used by people who don't train hard enough.

i agree. or by people who just arnt eating enough.

prof
06-19-2003, 05:32 AM
hard gainers = undereaters

pruneman
06-19-2003, 05:51 AM
:withstupi