PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Information Question

Ace
06-19-2003, 09:58 AM
If the label on a product says, for example, 10g of fat and 3g of that is sat fat, is it safe to say that 7g of that total fat is unsat fat?

GhettoSmurf
06-19-2003, 10:01 AM
yes. i believe so. but im not totally sure in some cases could they be trans fats?

Ace
06-19-2003, 01:16 PM
So is saturated fat, unsaturated fat and trans fat separated out on a nutritional label?

I never see a trans fat label on foods, but I have seen it on some nutrition guides for fast food places online.

GonePostal
06-19-2003, 01:18 PM
No there is trans fat and monosaturated fat... along with unsaturated.

Ace
06-19-2003, 01:54 PM
There are unsaturated (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated), trans fats and saturated fats, but I rarely see any nutrional information on these other than just plain unsaturated and saturated.

bradley
06-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Ace
If the label on a product says, for example, 10g of fat and 3g of that is sat fat, is it safe to say that 7g of that total fat is unsat fat?

Yes, in which the unsaturated fats could be further broken down into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated.

Originally posted by Ghettosmurf
yes. i believe so. but im not totally sure in some cases could they be trans fats?

The trans fats are not required by the FDA to be listed in the nutrition facts. The best way to determine if something contains trans-fats is to look at the ingredients to see if it contains partionally hydrogenated oils or something similar.

bradley
06-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by GonePostal
No there is trans fat and monosaturated fat... along with unsaturated.

Actually there are saturated fats and unsaturated fats. Unsaturated fats can be divided into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Trans fats are polyunsaturated fats that have been hydrogenated to make them solid at room temperature.