PDA

View Full Version : tuna is killing you?

bob2624
06-19-2003, 03:32 PM
I eat around 3 cans of tuna a day so I was kind of disillusioned when I heard that the mercury levels in tuna are deadly over time. I heard that the mercury sits in your body and builds up over time. After years over exposure, it could kill you. A study said not to eat more than one can of tuna per week. Any thoguhts?

bigmalone
06-19-2003, 03:37 PM
man i really hope somebody comes on here and says that is not true cause i have been eating about 3 on the average 3 cans of tuna a day also. is there anything else cheap and high in protien that we can use to replace it???????

bigmalone
06-19-2003, 03:37 PM
i mean 3 on the average 2 cans

raniali
06-19-2003, 03:53 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33167

Manveet
06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
If you take those poll results as evidence that the mecury in tuna will not harm you, you are misevaluating the evidence.

Remember, in the long run it may screw you. Most of us on these boards are not in that position yet, buy sure are on the right track (including myself).

bradley
06-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bigmalone
is there anything else cheap and high in protien that we can use to replace it???????

Canned salmon or canned chicken come to mind, although they might be a little more expensive. I find that cooking a lot of food at the beginning of the week is more convenient and tasty than eating canned meats all the time.

TurboStu
03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Tuna will not kill you, nor should it harm the typical male in his lifetime. Why (and I know I will have arguments to this, but it's the truth, do some research, and prove yoruself wrong), but your old friend the liver actually detoxifies your body, and not only does that include alcohol (which incase you don't know is actually a toxic substance to put in your body, and I would be much more worried about that than mercury) but also toxins such as mercury, lead, etc. etc. Now, no it doens't empty your system as fast as it does alcohol, but it does empty is over time. So now, you aren't going to die, unless you are eating like a case of tuna a day :)

phatmonky
03-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Canned salmon or canned chicken come to mind, although they might be a little more expensive. I find that cooking a lot of food at the beginning of the week is more convenient and tasty than eating canned meats all the time.

what makes you think salmon has any less mercury than tuna?
Chunk lite tuna has some of the lowest contect of any fish you eat (2 ppb)

phatmonky
03-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Tuna will not kill you, nor should it harm the typical male in his lifetime. Why (and I know I will have arguments to this, but it's the truth, do some research, and prove yoruself wrong), but your old friend the liver actually detoxifies your body, and not only does that include alcohol (which incase you don't know is actually a toxic substance to put in your body, and I would be much more worried about that than mercury) but also toxins such as mercury, lead, etc. etc. Now, no it doens't empty your system as fast as it does alcohol, but it does empty is over time. So now, you aren't going to die, unless you are eating like a case of tuna a day :)

This topic has been beat to death. I eat a can of tuna a day. But don't make the mistake of thinking your body will just remove mercury from your body with no problem. Mercury ingested into your body acts as a low level newuro toxin. If you want, I will pull the recent hopkins report that shows DIRECT evidence of mercury poisoning effects in adults eating large quantities of fish everyday (3 cans is that). Effects include cognitive functions being lessened, lessened fine motor skills, and loss of memory. The greater the mecrury levels, the greater the effects. This is the only study done on full grown adults of it's kind.

Until this is all sorted out, I've got a better way of getting my protein ;)
http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/whey_protein33.htm
And the fish oils will come in a similiar way :p

bigedge
03-12-2004, 07:07 AM
i dont think it could be that dangerous, if it were the government would make the companies producing it place a warning on the can

Tank23
03-14-2004, 03:07 AM
i dont think it could be that dangerous, if it were the government would make the companies producing it place a warning on the can

:rolleyes:

The government doesn't care about anyone. It's what's best for them, what puts a dollar in their pockets.

If this weren't the case, then cigarettes and alcohol would be banned, no?

Rather, the governments ban things like ephedra because of a few deaths due to improper usage, but not smokes or alco, even though, no doubt, that they kill more people.

Exnor
03-14-2004, 03:37 AM
If you are truely worried about it, Sardines have been said to have much lower mercury content. However, 3 cans a day is still excessive.

Fish has had mercury in it for centuries, but much higher levels in recent decades due to pollution and waste.

Exnor
03-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Visit http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html for more information.

TurboStu
03-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Phatmonky, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying that your liver will just remove mercury from your body. Thats not what I meant to say, what I was saying is that low levels can be treated by the liver over time, and can be taken out of your body, but not at the same rate that you put it in, so it would accumulate yes, but if left go for several years, it would lower. Sorry about the confusion.

harryhoudini66
03-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Great to have you back Brad. Many of us were worried about you.

snow
03-14-2004, 09:59 PM
I read an article for my science course the other day on this, and it said you should limit your fish intake to something like 12 ounces a month. Also, products high in mercury should be limited to one can a week, if that much. The people it affects the greatest are pregnant women, women of childbearing age, and those with children; it affects the important developments in children. I don't recall anything really long term about excessive mercury intake (for the average adult), but I do recall minor symptoms that came from this.

I'll have to search for the article.

harryhoudini66
03-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Man, I just figured out how to make tuna taste good and now all this contraversy. I bought myself a 12-pack at Costco and am planning on eating on can per day.

furious
03-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Blah, I eat 6 cans a day and I do not live in fear of my hair falling out. Show me a cheaper more convenient, and healthier source of quick protein, and I will change. Until that time, dont believe the hype.

LuvDaPump
03-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Get an MRI once a year :)

Just a joke, I know it wouldn't work. Just thinking sci-fi

restless
03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Blah, I eat 6 cans a day and I do not live in fear of my hair falling out. Show me a cheaper more convenient, and healthier source of quick protein, and I will change. Until that time, dont believe the hype.

lol

What hype? You mean the research showing adverse side effects from high intakes of fish and the complete lack of evidence that shows that the low-medium level methyl-mercury poisoning that you suffer from is safe?

Do a search on it here and you'll find plenty of it. But hey, it's your nervous system, memory,etc....

6 cans a day is way above all recomendations, even the FDA ones.

shootermcgavin7
03-15-2004, 01:24 PM
From what I've read (and I doubt I can find the news articles anymore), the 1 or 2 can a week limit was for pregnant women; and was referring to the Albacore tuna.

As has been repeatedly stated in the thread, chunk lite has less mercury in it and I doubt there are many pregnant women who religiously read the board.

Of course, I could be wrong.

restless
03-15-2004, 01:32 PM
From what I've read (and I doubt I can find the news articles anymore), the 1 or 2 can a week limit was for pregnant women; and was referring to the Albacore tuna.

As has been repeatedly stated in the thread, chunk lite has less mercury in it and I doubt there are many pregnant women who religiously read the board.

Of course, I could be wrong.

If you're really interested do a search here and you'll find at least a dozen studies I posted showing negative health effects from fish comsumption. The FDA guidelines are fo5r normal people and normal people don't eat 6 cans of tuna a day.

I don't know if you havy any understanding on pharmacokinetics but methyl-mercury has a biological half life of around 40 days. There really shoudn't be a need to say anything else.

Lucian
03-15-2004, 01:41 PM
You'd die of a heart attack sooner than you'd die of mercury, I'd rather die of mercury.

If all fish is bad, what are we supposed to eat? Mad cow? Flu chicken? heart attack pork? what?

restless
03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
You'd die of a heart attack sooner than you'd die of mercury, I'd rather die of mercury.

If all fish is bad, what are we supposed to eat? Mad cow? Flu chicken? heart attack pork? what?

Mercury won't kill you.

Note: I've edited this. I got this feeling that I'm being too harsh on you. Sorry.

embro
03-18-2004, 08:39 PM
what about fishs from aquarium... well those mass production "lake"... anyone know about them? i suppose they have normal mercury level... but i may be wrong.

Podium Kreatin
03-19-2004, 12:21 AM
a lot of u guys don't see any effects in eating more than 2 cans a day b/c they are long term effects (you'd have to be smoking for years before you notice the negative effects).

but, i think if you are a pregnant woman, you definitely will see birth defects.

and for farm tunas; i've heard, for some resaon, they have mercury too