PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional question

Stabber
06-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Dumb question. When someone says 100 grams of fat = 900 calories. Does this mean, if you consume 100 grams of fat daily (from your foods), that you have to add 900 on to your total calorie intake? Or are the fat calories accounted for under "calories" on the label?

SoulOfKoRea
06-19-2003, 07:36 PM
confused on what your actual question is.

1 gram of fat is equal to 9 Calories. it should say on a food label underneath the total amount of calories how many calories are from fat. you would add 900 Calories to your Calories from proteins and Calories from carbs to get your total caloric intake for that day.

Stabber
06-19-2003, 07:49 PM
hmm. My question is about adding up the total calories from each meal.

Say meal one has 300 calories. and 20 calories from fat.
Does this mean, meal one has a total of 320 calories?

Or does the 300 calorie figure take into consideration : caloires from fat, calories from protein etc?

SoulOfKoRea
06-19-2003, 07:50 PM
It would mean that it includes the fat into the total calories, as well as protein, and carbs. where else would the calories be coming from? :confused:

Stabber
06-19-2003, 07:57 PM
ok just making sure. Hey, I said it was a dumb question from the start :D

Holto
06-19-2003, 08:08 PM
it's easier to keep track of total grams and calculate cals when you need to for daily totals and meal totals

I can tell you off the top of my head the # of grams of each macro in most of the foods I eat but not the total cals

I usually only look at cals by meal, by day and by week

bradley
06-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
Dumb question. When someone says 100 grams of fat = 900 calories. Does this mean, if you consume 100 grams of fat daily (from your foods), that you have to add 900 on to your total calorie intake?

:nod:

Or are the fat calories accounted for under "calories" on the label?

Well if a food has 200 calories listed as the total calories on the label and the label says it has 5g of total fat, then yes the calories from fat have already been taken into account.

If you want to know the amount of cals from fat you can look under the total calories and you should see a calories from fat measurement as well.:)

Say meal one has 300 calories. and 20 calories from fat.
Does this mean, meal one has a total of 320 calories?

No, it would mean that the meal has 300 total cals and 20 of the 300 cals come from fat.

Or does the 300 calorie figure take into consideration : caloires from fat, calories from protein etc?

yes