PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Intake Progress and Weight Measurement

harryhoudini66
06-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Firstly, how long should one consume a specific calorie amount to determine if it is working for you? I increased my calories from 1400 to 2100-2600 per day on Monday. Should I wait two weeks to measure progress?

Secondly, when should you weight yourself? I weighted myself today and it looks like I gained a pound. However, I am not sure if this should be taken too seriously since I weighed myself on Sunday and my weight was 218. Should you weight yourself 7 days to the day in order to determine progress? Also, should you do it early in the morning when you have an empty stomach and after you have taken your long piss? I know it sounds stupid but I am sure that if you weight yourself in the evening after you have drank a gallon of water and ate six meals you weight more.

So what do you guys say?

Holto
06-19-2003, 10:07 PM
personally I weigh myself every morning

when you have hungry muscle your body can hold alot of glycogen so you should find you weigh more on days after you ate extra cals

100g's of glucose equals almost a lb of glycogen

even a 2 week period is hard to evaluate when you have the possibility of gaining muscle

my advice is get some calipers and test your bf%

bradley
06-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Firstly, how long should one consume a specific calorie amount to determine if it is working for you? I increased my calories from 1400 to 2100-2600 per day on Monday. Should I wait two weeks to measure progress?

That is a pretty significant increase in cals so I would probably give it a few weeks at least, because I am sure you will probably see an initial increase in weight due glycogen/water weight. I would have probably gone with smaller increments in cals over the course of a few weeks instead of a large initial increase.

Secondly, when should you weight yourself? I weighted myself today and it looks like I gained a pound. However, I am not sure if this should be taken too seriously since I weighed myself on Sunday and my weight was 218. Should you weight yourself 7 days to the day in order to determine progress? Also, should you do it early in the morning when you have an empty stomach and after you have taken your long piss? I know it sounds stupid but I am sure that if you weight yourself in the evening after you have drank a gallon of water and ate six meals you weight more.

I would just weigh once per week, at the same time each week. I think first thing in the morning after you have used the restroom will give you the most accurate reading. If you weigh yourself in the evening then you are leaving yourself open to variables like food and water intake which can cause a lot of variations in your weight. My weight will fluctuate a couple of pounds on average between what I weigh in the evening and what I weigh in the morning.