PDA

View Full Version : caffiene before cardio

GhettoSmurf
06-21-2003, 09:31 AM
whats your guys' opinions on having some caffiene (basically just a cup or 2 of coffe) ~30 minutes or so before a cardio workout?

are there any negative aspects to it?

gopher
06-21-2003, 10:46 AM
:thumbup: for coffee pre cardio.
Hell, :thumbup: for coffee pre anything! :)

PeterParker
06-21-2003, 11:26 AM
take 200-300mg of caffine 1-2 hours before you workout.

GhettoSmurf
06-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by PeterParker

but ive heard that caffiene (or at least coffee) can have an effect on insulin reponse and protein synthesis. has anyone else heard of these things?

PeterParker
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
no i not heard,

bob2624
06-21-2003, 12:41 PM
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/219caff.html

everything you want to know about caffeine and alittle humor too.

Saint Patrick
06-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Caffeine/Coffee before workout (either weights or cardio) was one of the staples of my last cutting cycle.

bradley
06-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
but ive heard that caffiene (or at least coffee) can have an effect on insulin reponse and protein synthesis. has anyone else heard of these things?

Caffeine increases the catecholamine levels in the body and the increased catecholamine levels causes more free fatty acids to be released. The higher levels of FFAs in the blood could cause some insulin resistance.

I am not aware of any adverse effects of caffeine on protein synthesis.

aka23
06-21-2003, 04:04 PM
whats your guys' opinions on having some caffiene (basically just a cup or 2 of coffe) ~30 minutes or so before a cardio workout?

are there any negative aspects to it?

As bradley mentioned, caffiene increases fat mobilization during cardio. Caffiene may also increase performance or endurance in certain persons. Increased fat mobilization is not necessarily as good as it sounds. More fat burned during cardio means often means less fat will be burned afterwards since glycogen levels are higher. In past posts, you have expressed an interest in doing HIIT cardio. With HIIT fat burning is not as important during the activity as for traditional cardio since the sprint portions use nearly 100% anaerobic pathways (glycogen/PCR, not fat) for energy. Fat burning is more important after the activity. Furthermore HIIT stresses your body quite a bit. The combined increased blood pressure from the caffiene and HIIT could be a dangerous combination in persons with certain health problems.

Personally, I would never take caffiene because of my sleeping difficulties. Caffiene is associated with addiction and a number of other health problems that you are probably aware of. The decreased glucose uptake could interfere with recovery and perhaps other aspects of HIIT type cardio. Note that a cup or two is a relatively small dose, especially if you have developed a tolerance to caffiene. Some of the issues discussed above are more associated with larger amounts.

bradley
06-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by aka23
The decreased glucose uptake could interfere with recovery and perhaps other aspects of HIIT type cardio. Note that a cup or two is a relatively small dose, especially if you have developed a tolerance to caffiene. Some of the issues discussed above are more associated with larger amounts.

I agree with what you are saying and it seems that exercise will negate any negative effects as far as glucose uptake is concerned.

Stabber
06-21-2003, 07:04 PM
i always take caffeine before cardio/lifting.

ps: bradley can you check my other post thanks dude

hemants
06-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Coffee yes as long as you hydrate to compensate for the diuretic effect

Pills well hmmm....do more research bcs you are dealing with much higher doses than "normal"; i'm not qualified to answer.

That being said, caffeine is a pretty safe drug and has been used for over 40 years in pain relievers.

Berserker
06-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by PeterParker
I think it takes less then 30 mins for caffine to take effect. If you take it 2 hours before you many be coming down and have a negative effect.

Holto
06-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I agree 30 mins sounds ideal

icanrace
06-25-2003, 11:48 AM
what kind of caffiene pills??

Relentless
06-25-2003, 12:06 PM
you can buy generic 200mg caffiene tabs at most health food/supp stores. Cheap.

GhettoSmurf
06-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
you can buy generic 200mg caffiene tabs at most health food/supp stores. Cheap.

do you have to be 18+ to buy them?

ive seen a package of them before and it had the recommended age of 12 and up.

bradley
06-25-2003, 02:10 PM

do you have to be 18+ to buy them?

ive seen a package of them before and it had the recommended age of 12 and up.

Not that I am aware of. I would probably just buy some Vivarin or No-Doz from the supermarket or local pharmacy. Both contain ~200mg of caffeine per serving but you would need to check the box to make sure.

AdamGberg
06-25-2003, 02:18 PM
do caffiene and ephedra work the same way?

bradley
06-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AdamGberg
do caffiene and ephedra work the same way?

They do work in similar ways (stimulation of catecholamines), but this is not the reason that they are used together.

thutch90
06-26-2003, 06:43 PM
I have been using the Carb-Boom Gel that I pick up at my local bike shops. It is carbohydrate that uses a bit of caffine the stuff is the bomb. Good for long bike rides and long workouts. It has a bit of a pick me up. So far caffine has been my friend.

Saint Patrick
06-28-2003, 03:36 AM
caffeine before cardio is a GOOD thing.

chops
07-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Caffeine increases the catecholamine levels in the body and the increased catecholamine levels causes more free fatty acids to be released. The higher levels of FFAs in the blood could cause some insulin resistance.

sometimes i do cardio in the a.m. before eating but i always drink coffee beforehand. I drink my coffee w/ flavored creamer, which has small amt of sugar it in it. is this amount of sugar too small to make a difference, or will it decrease my fat burning potential during my cardio workout?

i use carnation fat free http://www.coffee-mate.com/product_flavor.asp?id=13#

I use about 2 TB in my coffee, this is a total of 10 g carbs ( 8 are sugar)

bradley
07-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by chops
sometimes i do cardio in the a.m. before eating but i always drink coffee beforehand. I drink my coffee w/ flavored creamer, which has small amt of sugar it in it. is this amount of sugar too small to make a difference, or will it decrease my fat burning potential during my cardio workout?

I use about 2 TB in my coffee, this is a total of 10 g carbs ( 8 are sugar)

I do not think you are going to get a significant insulin response from the 10g of carbs. One reason is that it is such a small amount of carbs and another is the fact that you are more insulin resistant in the morning, due to the overnight fast. The reason behind this is that there are more free fatty acids in the blood stream from going an extended period of time without eating.

If you enjoy having the creamer in your coffee then I would stick with it, and it definitely is not going to make any significant difference if any at all:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bradley

They do work in similar ways (stimulation of catecholamines), but this is not the reason that they are used together.

The ECA stack must have just fallen together by chance. Anyone got any idea who first claimed to have "invented" it?

The C's biggest use is that it keeps cAMP elevated, which inhibits something that would usually slightly inhibit the E part of the stack. Don't ask me to name the two inhibited substrate cause i can't remember the names.

And listen to hemants, caff has a long half-life and is a potent duiretic - cell dehydration = lower RMR. This alone may effect protein synthesis, but i doubt to a huge degree. And if it did, i dunno if your body would compensate at a later time with a higher turnover of protein synthesis. Purely speculation on my part, but the dehydration aspect is quite huge, especially for the endomorph. Forskolin does the same job, re: keeping cAMP elevated and without the diuretic effect, so maybe this would be a better choice instead of caffiene for the endo.

aka23
07-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
The ECA stack must have just fallen together by chance. Anyone got any idea who first claimed to have "invented" it?

Mitchell Friedlander is listed the "inventor" on the ECA stack patent, which was filed in 1990. The full patent is listed at http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5055460.WKU.&OS=PN/5055460&RS=PN/5055460 . I would expect that others used ECA stacks before the patent was filed.