PDA

View Full Version : fructose in strawberries?

Godson
06-21-2003, 01:17 PM
yes/no?

would they be considered a no-no on a carb-up for a CKD diet mixed with oatmeal?

Saint Patrick
06-21-2003, 01:28 PM
For a carb refeed or cheat day it's fine.

Manveet
06-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Good for a refeed.

GhettoSmurf
06-21-2003, 06:42 PM
actually, ive heard that you want to stay away from fructose on refeeds becuase it replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen.

SquareHead
06-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Damn liver. Always getting in the way and causing problems.

Manveet
06-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
actually, ive heard that you want to stay away from fructose on refeeds becuase it replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen.

I always though Higher GI carbs were better during refeeds.

GhettoSmurf
06-21-2003, 07:59 PM
yes, higher-GI as in cereal or highly processed foods. remember, apples are also full of sugar, but they are very low on the GI.

plus you need to remember there is a difference between frunctose, and other types of sugars/carbs.

Manveet
06-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Meh, I always thought fructose would be a better option compared to all that processed crap in children's cereals.

I'll do some research on it;)

Manveet
06-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Here we go

Carbs should come from simple sources, e.g. Sucrose, Glucose, Fructose, Maltodextrin, etc.
Refilling liver glycogen is important during the refeed, so try to take some Fructose at each meal, e.g. Bananas, Grapes, Pineapple, Dried Apricots.

That excerpt was taken from this article

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

aka23
06-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Godson
yes/no?

would they be considered a no-no on a carb-up for a CKD diet mixed with oatmeal?

Fructose makes up about 30-45% of the sugars in stawberries, or about 20-35% of the total carbs. The rest of the sugars are mostly glucose and sucrose (sucrose = glucose+fructose). I think that fruit and fructose could be beneficial during refeeds, but the majoriity of the carbs should come from other sources.

GhettoSmurf
06-21-2003, 09:07 PM
yes, but just remember. this is a carb-up for a CKD. it's fine to have SOME fructose in MODERATION but keep in mind that the fuller your liver glycogen is (from the fructose) the HARDER it could possibly becuase to get back into ketosis.

bradley
06-22-2003, 04:28 AM
yes, but just remember. this is a carb-up for a CKD. it's fine to have SOME fructose in MODERATION but keep in mind that the fuller your liver glycogen is (from the fructose) the HARDER it could possibly becuase to get back into ketosis.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think one should consume some fructose when carbing up. If you were to not consume fructose on a carb up you could possibly cause the liver to remain in a catabolic state which might negate any possible muscle growth that could come along with the carb load. If you do not have trouble establishing ketosis after the carb load then I would not worry about it. If you do find that you have trouble establishing ketosis after the carb load, then just do a little low/moderate intensity cardio which should help.

Also I would recommend following the guidelines for a planned refeed since you do want to get the metabolic benefits of the carb load. You do want a little spillover into fat stores which will have a beneficial effect on leptin levels, and this would also ensure that glycogen levels are topped off as well.

GhettoSmurf
06-22-2003, 05:56 AM
ive actually heard of people having some fruit (becuase of the fructose) before they have their depleation workout. as for the reasoning, im not sure. ill have to check on it.

bradley
06-22-2003, 09:06 AM
ive actually heard of people having some fruit (becuase of the fructose) before they have their depleation workout. as for the reasoning, im not sure. ill have to check on it.

Yes I have seen this recommended as well. The reasoning behind this is so that the liver will have time to begin producing certain enzymes before the all out carb load begins. It was recommended that the individual take in ~25-50g of carbs with a meal about 5 hours before the depletion workout. The meal should consist of protein and can also include fat, and the type of carbohydrate was not really specified.

Then about 2 hours before the depletion workout the individual would consume a mixture of fructose and glucose to help begin refilling liver glycogen. Again ~25-50g of carbs was the amount recommended.