PDA

View Full Version : Back Routine

Pages : 1 [2] 3

the doc
06-27-2002, 06:36 PM
chris, why are you doing reverse grip bench?

chris mason
06-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by the doc
chris, why are you doing reverse grip bench?

I have an old injury, where my pec-delt tie in on my left side gets very aggravated when I bench heavy. It takes forever to recover between sessions. I also have an injury to my left shoulder which makes standard benching very difficult. So far, the reverse grip doesn't seem to bother things as much.

YatesNightBlade
06-28-2002, 03:49 AM
Chris,

Are the deadlifts working for you now ? You said you never benefitted from them B4, are they doing the job these day ?

chris mason
06-28-2002, 07:13 PM
Well, I am certainly getting better at them. I think they have improved my traps, which I never do any specific work for. It is also nice to be able to lift a really heavy weight, injuries have made that impossible to do with squats over the last few years. They are obviously working my lower back hard. As for my lats, they have always been a strong point, so they haven't really done anything for them. I also thing they have improved my grip strength. Overall, I like them. I am sure that is influenced by the fact that I am getting pretty good at them.

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by chris mason

I have an old injury, where my pec-delt tie in on my left side gets very aggravated when I bench heavy. It takes forever to recover between sessions. I also have an injury to my left shoulder which makes standard benching very difficult. So far, the reverse grip doesn't seem to bother things as much.

Hey Chris, I had a similar problem recently, where my right pec-delt tie-in was acting up.... I used very light flyes, with a deep ROM, to help correct it, and it worked wonders.... might be worth a shot if heavy benching gives you trouble.

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 02:23 AM
Well, I am certainly getting better at them. I think they have improved my traps, which I never do any specific work for.

Don't they, though?

It is also nice to be able to lift a really heavy weight, injuries have made that impossible to do with squats over the last few years.

Yeah..........

They are obviously working my lower back hard. As for my lats, they have always been a strong point, so they haven't really done anything for them.

Yeah, after that pic you just put up, I can believe it.

I also thing they have improved my grip strength. Overall, I like them. I am sure that is influenced by the fact that I am getting pretty good at them.

LOL.....we inducted you into the Deadlifter's cult..........we're just that cool........lol..........we made everybody a believer!!!

Reinier
06-29-2002, 03:32 AM
so basically you have always trained low reps... and your also full of injuries, and very strong. reminds me of that one glanucki (spell) cartoon

chris mason
06-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Most of my injuries are due to my brief steroid use, in my opinion. Now, yes I do train heavy, and with low reps, but I am not sure if that is the real cause of my injuries. The real cause is specific instances of training heavy when I should not have, for the most part. Of course, I could train with very light weights and be a "shaper", or a "pumper", or a PUSSY as I like to say. No way, I like strength, I love strength, I will not train any other way.

Black_Curtain
06-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Just finished reading your diary. Really amazing strength, more than twice the weight I do for everything!
Keep up the good work !

chris mason
07-07-2002, 04:38 PM
Thank you.

Ok, I have been really spotty on training as of late due to work a couple of weeks ago, then a cold I got the Saturday before last. The cold kept me from working out last week. It was not bad, but enough to keep me from training. Anyway, today's session was not so hot.

Reverse Grip Bench:
2 warmups
285 x 1.5---could not hit 2
285 x 1

V-Grip Pulldowns:
3 warmups
340 x 1.5---could not get 2
340 x miss

Standing Strict Curls:
3 warmups
195 x 1---could not get 2
195 x miss

Not a great day, but between not training much in the last 3 weeks and the cold it was not so bad, I suppose.

PowerManDL
07-07-2002, 04:46 PM
You lazy bastard! Why don't you get off your ass and move some real weight!

chris mason
07-07-2002, 05:04 PM
:redface: :cry:

PowerManDL
07-07-2002, 05:13 PM
LOL.....jk

Mighty impressive even for a "bad" day.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-08-2002, 10:27 AM
You and your colds, Chris!

Take more vitamin C!

chris mason
07-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Wait until you all have 3 kids and their germs, then we will see...:eek:

Neil
07-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Just curious Chris, do your kids express an interest in lifting?

chris mason
07-09-2002, 07:45 AM
My 14 year old daughter lifts on occassion, although that is more influenced by her mother than by me. The other 2 are 7 & 6, so they don't yet have any interest. Personally, it is of no consequence to me. In other words, I certainly don't want to force it on them. If they choose to lift, then I will help and support them, if not, then I will help and support them in any (morally acceptable) activity they choose.

Neil
07-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Well if they do decide to lift the couldn't have a better dad to teach them all they need to know about lifing.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Well if they do decide to lift the couldn't have a better dad to teach them all they need to know about lifing.

~Hands Neil a tissue so he can wipe the brown stuff off his nose~

haha ;)

Neil
07-09-2002, 10:39 AM
Yeah, cause we all know how much of a brown noser I am:rolleyes:
Actually I was just thinkning about how much of a fat lazy slob my dad is and how it would have been nice to have someone in the household to point me in the right direction when I started.

chris mason
07-10-2002, 07:02 AM
Well, did light legs and tried triceps yesterday. Triceps were a bust because I was too sore from Sunday's workout.

Deadlift:
3 warmups
475 x 3---not failure

Squat (narrow, deep):
2 warmups
335 x 3---not failure

chris mason
07-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Yeah, cause we all know how much of a brown noser I am:rolleyes:
Actually I was just thinkning about how much of a fat lazy slob my dad is and how it would have been nice to have someone in the household to point me in the right direction when I started.

Thank you for the compliment, but don't be so hard on your dad unless he was just a complete ogre. My parents had me fairly late, and my dad had very bad arthritis in his ankles which started to get bad in his early 40s. So, by the time I was ready to start, he was not into any form of physical fitness. He was, however, supportive in that he never discouraged me and would congratulate me when I told him of new PRs etc. My mom was never into it because she thought I was ruining my body. Ah well, what are you gonna do, right?

MonStar
07-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Deadlift:
3 warmups
475 x 3---not failure

Squat (narrow, deep):
2 warmups
335 x 3---not failure

:thumbup::thumbup: Looking good chris. How deep are you going on the squats again? You said as deep as you can possibly go correct?

chris mason
07-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Yep, more or less. I suppose I could really concentrate on scrunching up at the bottom, but otherwise pretty deep. I also use what I consider to be a narrow stance.

Ok, light back and bis, heavy triceps.

Pulldowns (v-grip):
2 warmups
290 x 2---not failure

Standing Strict Barbell Curls:
2 warmups
175 x 3---not failure

Skulls:
3 warmups
265 x 1---could not get 2
255 x 1---ditto

Well, skulls are coming back. This was my first real tricep workout after my cold and work induced sporadic training. I tried skulls the other day and got buried with 265. My tris, chest, and shoulders were pooped from chest a couple of days before. So, I just said screw it and waited until today. Biceps coming back as well. My left arm, from my forearm to my bicep insertion has been bothered by tendonitis for months now, and it is really annoying. The brief layoff didn't seem to help. Oh well.

PowerManDL
07-16-2002, 05:40 PM
Do you get a spotter on those skulls or just have some method of bailing out if you don't get the rep?

chris mason
07-17-2002, 08:26 AM
I do them in my power cage. I set the pins the same as when I bench. Take a look at the picture I posted a while back. If I can't get it, I can lower the weight to my neck level and slide under the bar.

MonStar
07-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Phenomenal strength chris. Keep up the hard work. Hehe I see your skull crushher strength is practically passing my bench press strength. Jesus. :eek::eek:

chris mason
07-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Well, it had to end sometime:( . Since I started deadlifting a few months back, I have been able to add 20 lbs to my single on my heavy day. That streak ended today. I tried to pull 625 lbs and I got nothing. Nada! I had pulled 605 lbs on 6/25, and had only had one "light" session since then. I pulled my back a bit during that light session, consequently I took longer between workouts than I would have liked. Oh well, I'll give it another shot on my next heavy day.

So heavy legs today.

Deads:
4 warmups
625 x 0---bad miss
625 x 0---thought I might give it another try, alas no luck
605 x 0---was too spent by my first 2 misses

Squats (narrow stance, deep):
2 warmups
355 x 1---tried 2, no dice---this was good because I was not as fatigued from deads as I got zero reps:mad:

That was it. I then proceeded to spend an hour and a half cutting the grass.

Mystic Eric
07-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Pffft wuss... :hide:

Alex.V
07-21-2002, 08:34 PM
lol. There's a limit to your freakiness, chris. Still, I'm sure it was close... Once I've missed a deadlift, the second attempt never leaves the floor.

MonStar
07-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Dont worry about it chris we all miss lifts sometime or another its not a big deal if you ask me. Just move on and pull even harder your next time around.. a 605 lbs. deadlift for reps is extremely impressive man.

chris mason
07-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Ok, light back, heavy shoulders, heavy biceps, and light triceps.

Pulldowns (v-grip):
2 warmups
290 x 3---What I think are my teres major (armpits/lat area) were very sore form deadlifts (attempted) the other day. They hurt:cry: !

I decided to add a new exercise today, seated military presses (shoulders presses to the front). It took me some tweaking to get it right due to my equipment. I have an adjustable bench that can be placed at a 90 degree angle. The problem is that the pad then goes to the top of your head and you cannot tilt your head backward in order to not get in the way of the barbell. When performing seated military presses you must tilt your head/upper back to the rear in order to allow the proper path for the barbell. I also had trouble setting up the catches so I could lift the weight off in a solid fashion. To fix this problem, I set the bench back a few notches in order to allow my head the room to tilt back. I also placed a piece of wood on the back support portion of the bench to put me in the right position to get the bar off of the catches. The end result is a military press/extreme incline press. I was careful to do these very strictly in order to protect my bum shoulders. In the end, it felt pretty decent.

135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 1
225 x 2
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x miss
265 x miss

All of the sets are due to the fact that I was messing around with the setup. I will get the 265 no problem next time. I think I pooped myself out with all of the other stuff. I'll tell ya, sometimes having no spotter is a pain in the ass.

3 warmups
195 x 2---back to where I was

I then decided to do a set of hammer curls with decent form.

Hammers:
no warmup
85s x 1---I have plate loading dumbbells, the plates equal 80 lbs and I assume the handle and the locks weigh about 5 lbs, they could be a tad less.

That was it, a good workout.

Mystic Eric
07-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Sweetness

Goin_Big
07-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Yer married aren't ya? Get the old wife to spot ya :)

chris mason
07-23-2002, 07:22 PM
Easier said than done.

MonStar
07-23-2002, 11:02 PM
chris mason:

What do you think about curl chins vs. v-bar pulldowns. I feel the pulldowns WAY more in my lats and all that than I do the chins. Isnt that what matters? I mean honestly I feel like my lats would benefit from switching from the chins to the pulldowns. What do you think about that whole "your body moving through a plane of space for optimal growth" theory?

MonStar
07-23-2002, 11:41 PM
chris mason:

I was thinking about what movements I FEEL the most in my lats and I would have to go with v-bar pulldowns to start for a vertical rowing movement, and probably either v-bar cable rows, DB rows, or bentover overhand / underhand BB rows for a horizontal rowing movement. Does this kind of back routine look okay to you?

Seated V-bar Pulldowns 3 sets
One-arm DB Rows 3 sets

... Or maybe something along these lines? I am just trying to pack on some size to my lats and with incline rows when I get up into the heavy weights too much pressure is on my sternum.

chris mason
07-24-2002, 08:43 AM
If those are the exercises that work best for you, then that is what you should use.

MonStar
07-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Okay chris. What do you think about V-bar chins instead of curl grip chins? I tend to feel back movements much more using a V-bar than I do a regular bar for some reason. I dont really understand it.

chris mason
07-24-2002, 09:40 AM
If you feel the pulldowns work better for you, then do them. There is no exercise that must be included in every routine. There are some that work well for a lot of people, but not all. So, you don't need chins. Do what works best for you.

chris mason
07-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Heavy back and triceps.

I switched to a new back exercise today. I felt that the pulldowns were not helping my tendonitis in my left bicep.
I decided to go back to my plate loading supported row. You can see it in the pics of my home gym. I used to go really heavy on the thing, but I would use a lot of lower back at the top of the movement, and I would place my legs forward of the spot they are supposed to be in. I decided to go really strict this time and place my legs behind me as the machine is designed for. It seemed to go well, and I lifted more than I thought I would with the strict form. I'll tell you, the design of the machine places all of the stress from the movement on the chest, more than any other support row I have ever used. When I go heavy I really can't breathe for crap.

Support Rows:
3 warmups
340 lbs x 1---the weight is just the plates, I have no idea what the apparatus weighs, but with the setup the way it is, it isn't much.

340 x 1

Skulls:
3 warmups
265 x 2---tough
I haven't been doing as well as I would like on these as of late so I decided to make the second set a full ROM, very strict movement. Remember, I lift my head on the heavy stuff, thus limiting the ROM. So, for my next set I kept my head plastered to the bench and lowered the bar to my forehead. I then paused, followed by the press up.
185 x 3

That was it. Spent the next couple of hours mowing the lawn.

MonStar
07-28-2002, 07:00 PM
I decided to go back to my plate loading supported row. You can see it in the pics of my home gym.

Hey chris where are the pics of your home gym? I have tried searching and cant find them anywhere.

Support Rows:
3 warmups
340 lbs x 1

If this is the same incline rowing machine that I use then that is some truly incredible strength. Because I can handle around five 45 lbs. plates and thats practically impossible. I cant imagine seven 45s and a 25... :eek::eek:

Skulls:
3 warmups
265 x 2---tough

Some awesome strength here too chris as usual. Haha over in the Competitors Arena a few of us are going for double BW bench and maybe triple BW squat and deadlift. You should go for double BW skullcrushers... ;);)

I had a few questions to ask you chris about your training philosophies.

(1) I wanted to ask you how long has it been that you have been training in the 1-4 rep range?
(2) Did you get substantially better results immediately when you switched over from a slightly higher rep range (4-8) to a lower rep range (1-4)?
(3) Do you train your calves, forearms, abs, etc.?
(4) How long on average do your workouts last?

Just wondering about your training style man. You and Belial seem to be the two big strong guys here @ WBB. I am going to catch up to you 2 in the next few years.

chris mason
07-29-2002, 12:56 PM
I am not sure where they are, I am trying to remember the title of the thread. I think it was Chris' gym, or something similar.

As to it being like the one in your gym, it isn't. I can't do as much on those.

I have been using the low rep range, really low, for only a few months. Through my 14 + years of training, I have always used low reps for my basic exercises, especially the first heavy set. I would often use higher reps (relatively) on my second sets, or on my isolation movements.

No, I don't specifically train my abs, forearms, or calves these days. I have trained calves specifically in the past (when I was into bodybuilding), but as they have crap genetics, I just said screw it.

My workouts last about 30 minutes to an hour depending on what I am doing that day.

MonStar
07-30-2002, 01:19 AM
Okay thanks chris, appreciate your response man. I am probably going to end up doing some relative low reps on my first set or two (1-3 reps) and then lower the weight and increase to some higher reps. Does this sound okay to you? I am wondering about it it seems like a good idea for strength / hypertrophy. I actually much prefer extremely low-rep sets thats why I am asking you about it.

What do you think about paused movements like a ~3 second pause in bench, squat, chin, etc.?

Do you feel that you have benefitted more from these extremely low reps now that you have been doing them, instead of a higher rep range (6-8)?

I am probably going to be lowering my rep range a tad increasing the poundage just because I love the feeling of heavy weights. And I am curious how your results have been with extremely low reps specifically. Would you recommend them?

chris mason
07-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Light leg day.

Deads:
3 warmups
475 x 2---I did this differently. Last time I tweaked my back on my light day because I got sloppy. I made a conscious effort to drive with my legs off of the bottom, and I took a few second pause between reps, no momentum.

Squats (narrow, deep):
2 warmups
335 x 2---legs felt a little tired from the deads so I stopped here

MonStar
08-03-2002, 11:51 AM
I am wondering about your light days, chris. They seem obviously much lighter than your heavy days. I am going to be incorporating this same kind of thing. I was thinking just a lighter workload and shy of failure. Is this kind of what youre doing as well? Has your experience with light days been positive?

Also about switching to a hypertrophy specific routine. Is your diet going to change? How are your reps going to change?

chris mason
08-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Diet change, no. Rep change, yes. How exactly, not sure. :D

I am giving it some thought now. I will definitely up the reps. As to volume and training intensity, I am not sure yet.

MonStar
08-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Diet change, no. Rep change, yes. How exactly, not sure. :D

I am giving it some thought now. I will definitely up the reps. As to volume and training intensity, I am not sure yet.

Okay man looking forward to seeing how you train for hypertrophy. What have you been training for up until now? Strength exclusively? I thought that you were training for both for some reason with the low reps.

PowerManDL
08-04-2002, 12:51 AM
Hmmmm

*looks around*

Yup Mr. Mason, looks like you've got a MonStar infestation.

Yup, definitely MonStar.

I can hire a squad of ninjas to take care of that for you, if you'd like.

Neil
08-04-2002, 09:03 PM
LMAO!

MonStar
08-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Lol... :D:D

chris mason
08-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Ok, heavy back and light triceps.

I trained at a gym in Phoenix, so the machines used are much different than I use at home.

Supported T-bar Row (Monstar can post a picture of one):

4 warmups
6 plates x 2
5 plates + 25 lb plate x 3

Wide Grip Pulldowns to the Front:
2 warmups
300 (the stack) x 5
260 x 8

Cybex Rowing Machine (selectorized):
stack x 5
dropped 4-5 plates x 6

All (post warmup) sets above to failure.

Skulls:
2 warmups
185 x 3

MonStar
08-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Nice strength chris!! :thumbup::thumbup:

All I notice thats different is basically a bit higher reps. In the 3-8 rep range rather than the 1-3 rep range. Overall everything is looking good chris, keep it up. Are you going to be training more frequently now?

chris mason
08-07-2002, 09:43 AM
You didn't notice that I did 6 working sets as opposed to 2?

No, I will not train more frequently.

chris mason
08-07-2002, 04:38 PM
Heavy legs.

3 warmups
365 x 2
345 x 4

Leg Press:
Now I do these differently than most. I placed my feet low on the board and I do them with extreme control. I lower the weight and touch the stoppers (as much ROM as possible on the machine). I then pause for a second and proceed to push the weight back up.

1 warmup
6 plates per side x ? I think I did 9-10
6 plates x 4

That was it, my legs were pumped as **** and fried.

rookiebldr
08-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Supported T-bar Row (Monstar can post a picture of one):

He has in a few journals, ;) hehe

MonStar
08-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Supported T-bar Row (Monstar can post a picture of one)

Well, since you insist. Awesome back machine I must add. :):)

chris mason
08-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Heavy arms and light shoulders.

My tendonitis in my left bicep was bugging me a lot today. My left shoulder is also very unhappy as of late with the military presses.

Standing Barbell Curls:
3 warmups
195 x 3---felt strong
185 x 1---did this really strict

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curls:
65 x 3---60 lbs of plates plus the bar and clamps which I estimate to weigh 5 lbs, could be less.

50 x 6

Seated Military:
2 warmups
225 x 1---light day, no strain, but my shoulder still hurt!

Skulls:

I decided to do these with a full ROM today, no lifting the head.

2 warmups
205 x 1---almost got 2
185 x 2---I was fried

Pushdowns:
130 x 3
90 x 6

That's all folks!

MonStar
08-12-2002, 06:36 AM
Standing Barbell Curls:
3 warmups
195 x 3---felt strong
185 x 1---did this really strict

Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curls:
65 x 3---60 lbs of plates plus the bar and clamps which I estimate to weigh 5 lbs, could be less.

Some nice curling strength chris. Really really looking good. 200 lbs. curls will always completely blow my mind. I cant imagine loading 185-200 lbs. on the bar and curling it. Truly amazing strength, great to have you an inspiration. Not kissing your a*s being completely serious.

Nice incline DB strength too man thats a tough exercise and to much some heavy weights its a real b*tch. Nice workout man.

shredder
08-12-2002, 01:28 PM
awsome strength Chris.
BTW i was wondering what kinda routine you did when u benched 405, maybe u can post it for me if u can remember back that far...thanx

MonStar
08-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Support Rows:
340 lbs x 1

Was looking at this chris. Does this come out to seven 45 lbs. plates and a 25 lbs. plate? If so that is f*cking AMAZING. I mean truly like breathtaking. I have a supported row in my gym and I can do probably four 45s for 5-6 reps. So maybe four 45s and a 25 for 2-3 reps. I cannot believe that youre rowing with seven 45s and a 25. :eek::eek:

Neil
08-12-2002, 10:35 PM
"My tendonitis in my left bicep was bugging me a lot today. My left shoulder is also very unhappy as of late with the military presses."

Have you ever tried any glucosamine/chondroiton(sp?) supps?
I had biceps tendonitis in my right shoulder and the stuff worked wonders for me.

chris mason
08-13-2002, 02:13 PM
No I haven't Neil, maybe I will give some a go.

As to the support rows Monstar, those are on my home version. If you look to my workouts in Phoenix you will notice that I used the same kind you do there, and I got 6 plates for a double. I would quickly improve that if I used the same apparatus for a couple of workouts, but that is what I did.

MonStar
08-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Okay chris, thats one hard row Ill tell ya! Supported rows I tend to feel MUCH more than any other row in my lats and all that but theyre so f*cking hard its unreal. I mean they really beat up my back like crazy. Its ALL lats too no lower back or momentum, etc.

chris mason
08-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Light legs today.

2 warmups
335 x 3---not failure, but not easy

Saturday Fever
08-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Squats (narrow stance, deep)

Any reason in particular you use a narrow stance? Seems to me if you went to more of a wide-stanced posture, similar to powerlifters, you'd put up insane numbers based on your narrow stance weight. Just curious.

chris mason
08-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Good question. When I was younger I used to squat with a wider stance and was able to lift some decent weight. The reason I use the form I do now is due to knee injuries and a problem with outside of my left quad just below my hip (an old injury). This style allows me to use less weight, thus not aggravating my old injuries as much. I may switch back one of these days if I feel up to it.

chris mason
08-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Heavy back and shoulders today.

Support Row (my home version):
3 warmups
340 lbs x 3.75---darn near 4
340 lbs x 2

Wide-grip Pulldowns to the Front:
250 x 4
220 x 8

V-bar Pulldowns:
180 x 6---very strict

Seated Military Press:
3 warmups
265 x 1---could not get 2
245 x 1

The next exercise is a dumbbell upright row. I kind of made up the movement myself in order to train around my shoulder strain.

45s x 10
45s x 9

Bent over Laterals:
25s x 9

That was it. I maintained good form on all excercises, especially the secondary exercises by bodypart.

MonStar
08-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Support Row (my home version):
3 warmups
340 lbs x 3.75---darn near 4
340 lbs x 2

Awesome strength chris, truly inspirational. I hope to get to something like (as in with 50-100 lbs. of this, lol) by 2003. Going back in forth between making my goal for 5x5 either 255 lbs. or 300 lbs. on supported rows. But then again my apparatus is 30 lbs. or so.

Anyway great strength man - keep it up.

chris mason
08-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Ok, heavy arms today.

3 warmups
205 x 1
185 x 2---very strict here

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
65s x 4---4 right, 3 left
45s x 9

Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
205 x 2
185 x 2

Pushdowns:
130 x 3
90 x 8-9---lost count

Chomsky
08-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Your skulls are steadily approaching my bench strength. That's awesome.

MonStar
08-25-2002, 09:59 PM
3 warmups
205 x 1
185 x 2---very strict here

:eek::eek: Great strength chris, as usual. Keep up the incredible curling poundages. What was your form like for the 205 lbs. curl? Lot of body English or nah? Are you still focusing on hypertrophy. Reps seem a bit low for hypertrophy thats the only reason I am asking.

Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
205 x 2
185 x 2

Awesome strength here too man. Hehe I am hoping to get something like 155-165 or something for 5x5 by 2003. Youre probably hoping to get 250 lbs. skulls by 2003. Wow.

.. Any goals set for 2003?

chris mason
08-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Actually, my form was quite good for the 205. It was just particularly good for the 185. I have tightened my form on the curls recently, as is evidenced by the decreased lbs. I am now approaching what I was doing with looser form.

Neil
08-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Damn, you can curl as much as I can incline press. Great work Chris:)

chris mason
08-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Heavy legs today.

Squats (deep with a narrow stance):
3 warmups
375 x 1---almost got 2
365 x 1

Lunges (holding dumbbells):
85s x 5r, 4l---5 with my right leg, 4 with my left
85s x 4r,4l

I have never done these, so it will take a bit for me to get the coordination down.

Squats again:
135 x 7ish

shredder
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Chris, dont u do deadlifts anymore?

chris mason
08-28-2002, 02:57 PM
No, I decided recently to layoff them for a little while. I tweaked my back a bit on my "light" day and it wasn't getting better quickly enough.

chris mason
08-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Ok, light shoulders and back.

Supported Rows:
2 warmups
300 x 3

Seated Military Press:
2 warmups
225 x 3

Bent-over laterals:
25s x 12

Franco
08-31-2002, 03:42 AM
In your years training have you employed techniques such as drop sets, pre-exhaust etc. into your training consistently?

MonStar
08-31-2002, 05:48 AM
Supported Rows:
2 warmups
300 x 3

:thumbup::thumbup: Awesome strength chris. This is my goal for 2003 I believe. Something like this for supported rows. Do you use an overhand or underhand grip? I am wondering because I thought you said underhand but in your pics it was overhand. Hehe once I can do 300 lbs. rows and call it "light," Ill be satisfied.

chris mason
08-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
In your years training have you employed techniques such as drop sets, pre-exhaust etc. into your training consistently?

Yes I have. What would you like to know?

Franco
09-01-2002, 03:41 AM
I just wondered what degree of success you've had using these and how you've utilised them into your routine

Saturday Fever
09-01-2002, 11:23 AM
No, I decided recently to layoff them for a little while. I tweaked my back a bit on my "light" day and it wasn't getting better quickly enough.

I hope you don't mind me using your back in my "i dont like deadlifts" argument. I just find it really impressive. If you do, I'll quit citing it as a reference.

Very impressive.

chris mason
09-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Not at all Saturday, and I appreciate the compliment.

Fangel, I have used them on and off for years. I use them to up the intensity. I never really used them exclusively. What I usually do is use them for my second exercise per bodypart, and for the last set. I almost always have used straight sets for the 1st exercise per bodypart. So, for example, for triceps I might perform skull crushers first for a few straight sets to failure. Next, I switch to pushdowns and perform a straight set. I then perform another set, but this time I might do a drop set. Do you see?

Ok, heavy back and shoulders. Actually, I was afraid I might be sore from whitewater rafting on Sunday, but I wasn't really (a little soreness in my right bicep).

Support Rows--my home version:
3 warmups
360 x 1.75---couldn't quite finish the 2nd rep
340 x 2.75---not quite on the 3rd

240 x 10
200 x 8---very strict

Seated Military Press:
I do these to my clavicle (all the way down):
3 warmups
275 x 1
265 x 1

Dumbbell Upright Rows (my own version):
45s x 11
45s x 11

Craig James
09-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Chris, just spent the better part of an hour going through your journal, and I have found it to be very motivating.

Have you determined if you like the submaximal workouts better than the 'failure' work?

By the way, I knew that you got sick a lot, but you must be the sickest dude I have ever met!!! Ever think about investing in your own personal 'bubble'?

the doc
09-03-2002, 07:18 PM
hey craig!

MonStar
09-03-2002, 10:32 PM
3 warmups

Haha, WOW. I am impressed as anything chris. 360 lbs. supported rows? Thats seriously truly inspirational. I dont even know how many 45s that is. What is like eight 45s on the supported rowing machine? INSANE poundage man. You should get a back double biceps shot up chris. Would love to see those guns and lats in a shot together. Would really be motivation for a lot of us.

chris mason
09-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks Monstar, but remember, it isn't as heavy as the gym versions.

Ha ha Craig. You will note, I have been very healthy as of late, weasel!

chris mason
09-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Heavy arms.

Standing Strict (relatively) Barbell Curls:
3 warmups
205 x 2
195 x 1---very good form here

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
70s x 3 right arm, 2 left
50s x 6

Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
215 x 2
205 x 3

Pushdowns:
140 x 4
110 x 6

MonStar
09-09-2002, 01:02 AM
Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
215 x 2
205 x 3

Damn chris! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Today I got 175 x 4 and I thought that was the greatest thing ever. I was so damn impressed. I noted my form in my journal on skulls too, may not be the same as how you do your skulls. Then I look over here and you have 215 lbs. skulls. Jeez.

Franco
09-09-2002, 04:40 AM
I get you now:) Cheers for the info Chris

chris mason
09-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Damn chris! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Today I got 175 x 4 and I thought that was the greatest thing ever. I was so damn impressed. I noted my form in my journal on skulls too, may not be the same as how you do your skulls. Then I look over here and you have 215 lbs. skulls. Jeez.

It's not, I am now doing them completely traditionally. I lower the bar to my forehead and keep my head on the bench. Thanks for the compliment.

the doc
09-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Not at all Saturday, and I appreciate the compliment.

Fangel, I have used them on and off for years. I use them to up the intensity. I never really used them exclusively. What I usually do is use them for my second exercise per bodypart, and for the last set. I almost always have used straight sets for the 1st exercise per bodypart. So, for example, for triceps I might perform skull crushers first for a few straight sets to failure. Next, I switch to pushdowns and perform a straight set. I then perform another set, but this time I might do a drop set. Do you see?

Ok, heavy back and shoulders. Actually, I was afraid I might be sore from whitewater rafting on Sunday, but I wasn't really (a little soreness in my right bicep).

3 warmups

240 x 10
200 x 8---very strict

Seated Military Press:
I do these to my clavicle (all the way down):
3 warmups
275 x 1
265 x 1

Dumbbell Upright Rows (my own version):
45s x 11
45s x 11 ok chris serveral questions

as to fangel's question i was thinking to incorperate some drop sets in my routines for that very reason, to up the intensity
thanks for answering this before i even asked :)

i was also curious as to your grouping of shoulder presses with back. Why not group it with chest? Is it because the delts are significantly worn out after chest presses?

Also, the upright rows, these are primarily working the traps and the delts right? are your traps ever to work out from dead day or other work?

thanks

chris mason
09-11-2002, 07:10 PM
A couple of things. First, I don't do any direct work for my chest these days, so I can't group it there. Second, as to my traps, I don't do any direct work for them either. I feel they get sufficient stimulation with my back and shoulder work. I like to do shoulders with back as a normal course of things because back training warms them up nicely without fatiguing them to any appreciable degree (allowing me to train them heavy).

MonStar
09-11-2002, 09:20 PM
A couple of things. First, I don't do any direct work for my chest these days, so I can't group it there.

Why dont you do any direct chest work chris? Just wondering man.

chris mason
09-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Old injury
Tired of it
Change of pace
Want to get over 300 lbs in seated military

needsize
09-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Old injury
Tired of it
Change of pace

Over 300 on military is a goal of mine too, I'd like to be able to do it for reps one day. Right now I can press around 235lbs for sets of 5, lowering the bar right to my upper chest, but 300 seems so far away....

chris mason
09-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Cool. Well, I think I should be able to get there in a few months.

I forgot to post my heavy leg day from Tuesday.

Squats (narrow and deep):
3 warmups
385 x 1
365 x 2

Dumbell Lunges:
I did these by stepping onto about a 4" platform this time.

85s x 6
85s x 6

MonStar
09-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Old injury
Tired of it
Change of pace

Wow that sucks man. I cant imagine not hitting my pecs every week. I am going for a "chris mason" lift tomorrow morning man, 185 lbs. skulls. The way that I do them that is. Haha I hope to get at least 1-2 reps. ;);)

chris mason
09-13-2002, 05:20 PM
You know, I used to be like that, but not anymore. I used to love chest training. Recently, I have been admiring strength athletics, and chest presses are not really big there, overhead stuff is.

Good luck on the lift!

MonStar
09-13-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks a lot chris. I might catch up to you one day. Although I am not doing standard skulls. Haha the only exercise I can FULLY compare to yours is BB curls to be honest. Because our support rows are probably a little different, we do skulls differently, etc. etc.

What about curl-grip chins, whats your PB for those?

Btw thanks man, I ended up getting a triple and a 1/2 rep with 185. ;);)

Craig James
09-13-2002, 08:58 PM
When it comes to chins or anything back related, Chris is pretty monstrous. I'd be curious to see how much weight he could add and do reps with chinning...

MonStar
09-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Craig James
When it comes to chins or anything back related, Chris is pretty monstrous. I'd be curious to see how much weight he could add and do reps with chinning...

Hehe yeah I know man. Do you know chris in person you something? You sound like you have worked out with him before or something like that.

Craig James
09-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I know the bozo. We went to high school together. I've know Chris since he was a pencil neck! Doh! We were in the same computer geek classes for 3 years, and for our geek Physics class, we built a cardboard boat together. After high school, we were workout partners for a couple of years. Chris is still one of my best buds, even if his wife did make him move to the other side of the country :(

MonStar
09-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I know the bozo. We went to high school together. I've know Chris since he was a pencil neck! Doh! We were in the same computer geek classes for 3 years, and for our geek Physics class, we built a cardboard boat together. After high school, we were workout partners for a couple of years. Chris is still one of my best buds, even if his wife did make him move to the other side of the country :(

Hehe, thats crazy! :D:D

Interesting though. Yeah man he seems to be one of the, if not THE strongest guy here at WBB. 250 lbs. skulls and 200 lbs. curls. F*cking unreal huh? I take his advice extremely seriously, the guy is a true vet of the iron game. Have you worked out as long as he has? In other words do you have the same training background?

Craig James
09-13-2002, 09:30 PM
All I know was mostly taught to me by Master Mason... (Christolph is what I used to call him) Sig heil!

chris mason
09-14-2002, 12:55 PM
:redface:

Yes Monstar, we have known each other for 18+ years. I consider Craig to be one of my best friends (if not the best) as well.

As to chinning, I can't do overhand chins anymore. As to a curl grip, I haven't tried them heavy with a standard grip, only with a wide grip.

chris mason
09-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Ok, light back and shoulders today.

Support Rows (home version):
2 warmups
310 x 3

Seated Military:
2 warmups
235 x 3

I think I may start to record my diet as an example of how one can certainly get bigger and stronger eating salt, fat, and lots of sugar. Now, I do realize that it won't lead to shredded size, but it certainly does not impede my strength training.

heathj
09-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Nor should it. Eating lots of fat and the sort does not really impede on strength gaining. I don't recall anyone saying this. It does however impede on becoming shredded as you stated. But if you'd like to post it, go ahead :D I for one, at least, believe that you can gain strength eating whatever the hell you'd like, as long as a decent amount of protein is in there. Do you notice if you get more fat while eating these things compared to when you weren't or is your metabolism at a point to where it keeps your bodyfat constant...?

MonStar
09-15-2002, 09:18 PM
I think I may start to record my diet as an example of how one can certainly get bigger and stronger eating salt, fat, and lots of sugar. Now, I do realize that it won't lead to shredded size, but it certainly does not impede my strength training.

Go for it chris, I would personally enjoy reading what you eat on a daily basis. Would be great man. I am probably eating the same way as you, lol. :D:D

Anyways chris I read that 2 sets of weighted dips after your bench sets shot your bench up, correct? I am doing 2 sets in the 5-8 rep range, will that suffice?

chris mason
09-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Well Monstar, that depends. I only performed 2 sets of flat bench to failure followed by 2 sets of weighted dips to failure at ~10 reps. Are you doing considerably more volume than that?

MonStar
09-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Well Monstar, that depends. I only performed 2 sets of flat bench to failure followed by 2 sets of weighted dips to failure at ~10 reps. Are you doing considerably more volume than that?

Um, lets see. I am doing 2 sets of flat BB presses, 2 sets of dips, and then finishing up with 2 sets of flat flyes. Nothing really extreme, a total of around 6 sets for chest. I dont think thats too much but you might chris. You would probably recommend me dropping the flyes huh?

I enjoy flyes too much to leave them out. I do 3 movements for back too, 2 sets each: chins, support rows, v-bar pulldowns.

Neil
09-16-2002, 10:55 PM

I say go for it. I can attest to the effectiveness of eating crap to get big and strong. I think one of the biggest mistakes I made was thinking I had to eat super clean.

chris mason
09-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Ok, today's diet so far:

Breakfast:
3 bowls of sugar puffs in 2% milk. A bowl to me is probably 1/2 to 1/3 as much as most people as I don't like the cereal getting soggy:D .

Luch:
1 large homemade soft-shell taco. The meat was buffalo. This was a big mamma-jamma taco with lots of beef, lettuce, and cheese.
1 plate of frozen french fries
1 serving of Utz party mix
3 halloween size kit-kats (the small ones)
30-40 spree candy
2 baby size almond joy
1 baby size Reeses Fast Break
1 glass of orange juice

That was it. As you can see, I have been on a candy "spree" (no pun intended) lately:) . Darn, that is a lot of food! Oh well, nap time. Good-night.

Craig James
09-17-2002, 02:53 PM
LOL - Oh man! Now I'm not going to feel so bad about listing all of the Herchey kisses that I've been scarfing...

chris mason
09-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Yes Craig, I have definitely fallen off of the diet wagon, lol! Oh well, I don't think I'll let myself get quite as sloppy as I was. Check my post on your journal.

Saturday Fever
09-17-2002, 04:20 PM
I love candy. Even if I was bodybuilding again and trying to cut, I could never give up candy.

MonStar
09-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Haha! Thats what I am talking about chris. Now thats the way to eat man! :D:D

chris mason
09-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Heavy shoulders and back.

Support Rows:
3 warmups
370 x 2.5
360 x 2

Pulldowns (to the front, wide grip):
260 x 7
220 x 8-9

Seated Military:
3 warmups
275 x 1---too much time between heavy workouts here
275 x miss---got it to the sticking point and got, well, stuck!

shredder
09-28-2002, 11:35 AM
hey Chris, my bench press is really pissing me of and not progressing very well so i made these 2 upper body routines and i was wondering if u could tell me which one would be best or if u have one of ur own that u could give me. well here they are....

mon
bench 2x5
dips 2x~10 failore
btn press 2x3-5
pullups

wed
bench 2x15-20reps
skulls 2x5
pulldown
db curls

OR

mon
bench 2x5
dips 2x~10 to failore
skulls

wed
btnpress 2x3-5
weighted pullups
pulldowns?
db curls

plz tell me wat u think, thanx alot man.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-28-2002, 12:34 PM

Seated Military:
3 warmups

Sweet Christ, Chris.

Seated with 275. Dayum.

Anyhoo, you got any photos showing your proper shoulder girth et al?

MonStar
09-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Support Rows:
3 warmups
370 x 2.5
360 x 2

Seated Military:
3 warmups

Nice strength chris. :thumbup::thumbup: Keep up the hard work man. 275 seated military is friggin' insane. I cant imagine ever doing that much. Then again my OH press strength has always been a shame.

chris mason
09-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Sweet Christ, Chris.

Seated with 275. Dayum.

Anyhoo, you got any photos showing your proper shoulder girth et al?

No, but when I get over this darn cold (yes, a cold) I will have the wife shoot a few. I don't think my shoulders are particularly impressive as I don't have a wide bone structure. I do have good anterior delts. Anyway, I'll get some up soon.

MonStar
09-30-2002, 07:18 AM
No, but when I get over this darn cold (yes, a cold) I will have the wife shoot a few. I don't think my shoulders are particularly impressive as I don't have a wide bone structure. I do have good anterior delts. Anyway, I'll get some up soon.

Hehe all your pics are impressive. I would say that your back and arms are your best bodyparts, however. I guess maybe I was blessed a little bit because I have pretty wide shoulders naturally before any kind of working out.

chris mason
10-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Boy, training has been sporadic of late. First, I got out of the routine due to work, then I got this darn cold which lasted 2 weeks! As a result, I had not trained legs since 9/8 and I had not trained at all since 9/24.

Light legs and heavy back and shoulders (but only 1 set to failure):

Squats (narrow, deep):
2 warmups
335 x 5

Support Rows:
3 warmups
380 x 1.5

Seated Military:
3 warmups
275 x 1

Dumbbell Upright Rows:
45s x 13
45s x 8

chris mason
10-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by shredder
hey Chris, my bench press is really pissing me of and not progressing very well so i made these 2 upper body routines and i was wondering if u could tell me which one would be best or if u have one of ur own that u could give me. well here they are....

mon
bench 2x5
dips 2x~10 failore
btn press 2x3-5
pullups

wed
bench 2x15-20reps
skulls 2x5
pulldown
db curls

OR

mon
bench 2x5
dips 2x~10 to failore
skulls

wed
btnpress 2x3-5
weighted pullups
pulldowns?
db curls

plz tell me wat u think, thanx alot man.

Of the 2 routines presented, I would go with the 2nd. I would not want to train chest intensely on Monday and then hit it again on Wednesday.

MonStar
10-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Support Rows:
3 warmups
380 x 1.5

Seated Military:
3 warmups
275 x 1

Awesome strength on these 2 exercises man. :thumbup::thumbup: Keep up the hard work chris. I can tell that low reps obviously have really been working for you huh?

chris mason
10-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Ok, heavy arms. I had not trained arms since 9/8.

Standing Barbell Curls (good form):
3 warmups
205 x 1
185 x 2

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
65s x 3
45s x 7

Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
205 x 3
185 x 3

Pushdowns:
140 x 3
breakdown set to 90 x 7

MonStar
10-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Ok, heavy arms. I had not trained arms since 9/8.

Jesus man!! You havnt trained arms in more than a month. :eek::eek: When you say you train with low-volume you really do mean LOW. Hehe.

3 warmups
205 x 1
185 x 2

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
65s x 3
45s x 7

Nice biceps strength chris. What is your body English like on 205 lbs.? Mild or none at all? Just curious man.

Skulls (full ROM):
3 warmups
205 x 3
185 x 3

Pushdowns:
140 x 3
breakdown set to 90 x 7

Nice skullcrushers chris. Keep up the hard work man. Do you have any goals set for 2003?

chris mason
10-14-2002, 11:42 AM
The training lapse was due to work at first, then a cold I had for 2 weeks. I was just happy to not really have lost much strength.

As to my body english on the 205, there is very little. I leaned back a bit, but that was about it.

Goals? Naaahhhhh. I am not real a long term goal setter. I try to improve every single time I train, no more, no less.

chris mason
10-20-2002, 02:53 PM
Ok heavy legs for the 1st time since Sept. 9th. This is due to the reasons mentioned above.

Squats (narrow, deep):
3 warmups
405 x 1---nice job here
365 x 4---ditto
275 x 6 strip to 225 x 5

Ok, nice day. 405 for 1 is quite good to me considering form. When I say narrow and deep, I mean narrow and deep! Plus, I jumped 20 lbs since my last heavy day!

MonStar
10-21-2002, 02:58 AM
Squats (narrow, deep):
405 x 1---nice job here
365 x 4---ditto
275 x 6 strip to 225 x 5

Nice job chris. I am wondering chris how deep are you going? Because I consider mine fairly deep and I am going down to parallel or maybe an inch lower. That seems deep for me. But I know some guys who wouldnt call that deep at all.

chris mason
10-22-2002, 04:09 PM
I am going very deep Monstar, quite a bit past parallel.

Ok, light upper body today. Due to a sale at work, I will be working 8:30-9+P.M. through Saturday. I will also have to work Sunday, so no training until Tuesday.

Support Row:
2 warmups
320 x 3

Seated Military Press:
2 warmups
245 x 3---this was not as "light" as it should have been

2 warmups
185 x 2

Skulls (full ROM):
2 warmups
205 x 2---elbows hurt here, didn't warmup enough

the doc
10-22-2002, 04:56 PM
uh oh chris, 3 sets on your legs... you're gonna need like 5 weeks off until next heavy legs ;)

chris mason
10-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Dude, that is the truth! Man am I sore as ****!

Craig James
10-23-2002, 02:27 PM
wuss boy. My legs are sore as ****, but I am just getting back into it, so I have an excuse! ;)

chris mason
10-24-2002, 06:57 AM
F you!

chris mason
10-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Ok, did heavy back and shoulders yesterday.

Support Rows:
3 warmups
380 x 2---best yet
360 x 2---not failure

Pulldowns to the Front:
250 x 6---not failure

Seated Military:
3 warmups
275 x 2---best yet
245 x 2---not failure

Dumbbell Upright Rows:
50s x 11---not failure
50s x 7---not failure

chris mason
11-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Heavy arms today. Not a great day.

Standing Barbell Curls:
3 warmups
205 x 1---didn't warmup properly here
185 x 4---good form, good set

Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls:
70s x 2
50s x 8

Skulls (full ROM):
felt tired by the time I got to these, no energy
3 warmups
205 x 3---:mad:
185 x 3---stopped short of failure

Pushdowns:
150 x 3
breakdown to 90 x 7ish

I was not feeling that great today, no idea why. Oh well.

MonStar
11-03-2002, 11:02 PM
Nice workout chris. :thumbup::thumbup: As usual I just find your strength mindboggling. 205 lbs. curls nad skulls is just friggin' unreal in my eyes. But whatever. Anyway---good job man.

Chae
11-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Truly inspirational Chris! Just read through the entire thread...and there aren't many topics that will hold me for more than a few pages but your journal kept me for the whole 16!!

I'd be interested to know how you felt about the change from always training to failure to using sub-maximal sets, stopping just short. I noticed someone else asked that question a while back but you must have missed it.

I assume you must prefer sub-max as you seem to have stuck with it. I've never really liked the idea, I can't ged rid of the feeling that I'm selling out when I don't push myself to the limit, but have you been experiencing better results using it?

chris mason
11-09-2002, 07:21 AM
First, thanks, my journal doesn't seem to get the attention of some of the others on this site.

To answer your question, I know exactly how you feel. I felt the exact same way for the better part of 14 years. I must say that my progress (barring illness etc.) has been very good on this sort of a program. The difference for me is that I am training on days when I would not have trained at all previously. In other words, it allows me to train a bit more often, thus I don't feel like I am selling out. As I have stated in the past, I think this sort of a routine is best for advanced trainees as there comes a point (if one is natural) with training to failure where your recovery periods get so long as to actually retard muscle growth. Without having any solid scientific proof, I feel that neural recovery (again, opinion) takes much longer than muscular recovery. When I need to take nearly 3 weeks between heavy leg sessions in order to progress in strength, I feel that my muscular size gains suffer. I think that the muscles are recovered in a much shorter period of time, and may actually regress a bit between sessions if one must wait 3 weeks. Thus, the idea of the sub-maximal session is that I don't kill the nervous system, yet I still stimulate the muscles.

MonStar
11-09-2002, 07:29 AM
Great post chris describing how you train.

I feel that your system of training has worked great for you. Going shy of failure one week but still stimulating that musclegroup without drastically taxing your nervous system. Great idea.

Saturday Fever
11-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I think that the muscles are recovered in a much shorter period of time, and may actually regress a bit between sessions if one must wait 3 weeks. Thus, the idea of the sub-maximal session is that I don't kill the nervous system, yet I still stimulate the muscles.

I would even be so bold as to say that borders on fact and not just your opinion, chris.

Franco
11-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Chris, here is a link of variations of the zercher http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/Zlift.htm

chris mason
11-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Thanks F.

MonStar
11-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Support Rows:
380 x 2---best yet

Jeez chris, I just saw this. :eek::eek: Crazy strength here man. Seriously, truly incredible strength. Keep up the hard work. I am wondering chris where did you buy your supported rowing apparatus? If you remember. Or what brand is it, better yet. I am looking to start investing in a home gym and obviously a solid back machine is going to be a big decision. :):)

MonStar
11-10-2002, 04:28 PM
What do you think of these?

T-Bar Row Attachment
http://www.fitnessfactory.com/FitnessFactory31/itm_img/tbr10lge.jpg

Seated Plate-loaded Row http://www.fitnessfactory.com/FitnessFactory31/itm_img/wsrm40.jpg

We have the seated plate-loaded rowing apparatus here, and we also have the attachment for a barbell to make a t-bar rowing device. Just to secure the one-side of the BB to the ground or whatever.

Which do you think is a better investment and why? Just your honest opinion. Or maybe a chest-supported row like the one that I have at my gym?

chris mason
11-10-2002, 05:53 PM
LOL, the bottom apparatus is my EXACT support row that I have in my basement. It is a pretty decent one, although I am sure there are better ones on the market.

Ok back to deadlifts today. I was a little foolish and tried to do more weight than my previous best, even though I had not done them in about 3 months! Oh well.

Deads:
135 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 5
405 x 1
495 x 1
615 x miss
615 x miss
565 x 1

The misses definitely drained me.

Good Mornings:
First time ever for these. My back was fried from the deads so I went light.

135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3

That was all.

Squats (wider stance, parallel):

225 x 6
315 x 3
315 x 3

That was all. I didn't go to failure except for the misses on the deads.

I am going to switch to a new routine and style. I'll post it once I get it worked out.

BCC
11-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Good job Chris. I know what you mean about the misses, it drains and frustrates all at the same time.

Neil
11-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Well you've sparked my curiosity. I will be looking forward to seeing your new training style.

MonStar
11-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Damn youre shooting for 615 chris? :eek::eek:

Okay thanks for your opinion about the support row. Which do you think is a better alternative on the market? Supported rows seem to be as good as it gets in terms of horiztonal rowing. From what I have experienced at least.

What is your new training program going to look like?

Alex.V
11-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Supported row is almost identical to the biangular row we got. :)

Damn missed deads. Que pain in the ass.

chris mason
11-11-2002, 07:56 AM
I suppose it was a bit unrealistic for me to try to pull 10 lbs more than my previous best after laying off for 3 months.

As for shooting, I am shooting for 700lbs Monstar.

MonStar
11-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Damn chris I dont know how the f*ck your grip holds up man. I am struggling with 545 or so on rack deads grip wise. I feel like my grip is going to hold me back. I dont know, the more chalk, the easier the weight seems to feel.

Mystic Eric
11-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Wow Mr. Mason.
I wish my strength was like yours.
I am inspired.

chris mason
11-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Please note, I said my goal is 700, that is not what I am lifting now. Before my layoff from deads, I pulled 605 as my best.

chris mason
11-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok, new routine. I am going to do a twist on Doug Hepburn's old routine. I am going to pick one basic exercise per bodypart with the exception of triceps. I will perform a couple of warmup sets and then I will do 5 working sets. To start, I will choose a weight I can get roughly 5 reps with. I will then perform 5 sets of 2 reps. So, the first workout, I might only hit the last set to failure, or no failure at all. Each workout I will try to add 1 rep per set until I am able to perform 5 sets of 5. When I reach that point, I will bump the weight and start over again. This is a mass and strength routine (in my opinion). We shall see how it goes.

Today was back and shoulders.

Support Rows:
2 warmups
330 x 2
330 x 2
330 x 2
330 x 2
330 x 2

Felt pretty good on all of the sets.

Seated Military Press:
3 warmups
245 x 2
245 x 2
245 x 2
245 x 2---tough
245 x 2---tougher, very close to failure

That was it. Felt good.

Time + Patience
11-14-2002, 09:06 PM
I didn't read every page in here, but I read the first and last few. Your strength is awesome. But from what I noticed, your Military is around the same weight. Any reason??

And I see how you take quite a long time between workouts, that's really different, I've never seen that before. But like you said, that is what works for you, u know what's best for u. But with the long breaks between workouts, you have 2 be energized and ready to lift, right?

Do you intend on competing in any PLing or BBing meets?

I didn't catch all of your goals, can you inform me of what they are?

All I saw was a 700 Dead for a goal, damnm that would be an awesome pull!! When do you Dead?

the doc
11-14-2002, 09:21 PM
chris an interesting routine...
Will you still workout with the same frequency or more often (whe you are not reaching failure)?

MonStar
11-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Good luck with the new program chris, hope you get some good results with it.

chris mason
11-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Time + Patience
I didn't read every page in here, but I read the first and last few. Your strength is awesome. But from what I noticed, your Military is around the same weight. Any reason??

And I see how you take quite a long time between workouts, that's really different, I've never seen that before. But like you said, that is what works for you, u know what's best for u. But with the long breaks between workouts, you have 2 be energized and ready to lift, right?

Do you intend on competing in any PLing or BBing meets?

I didn't catch all of your goals, can you inform me of what they are?

All I saw was a 700 Dead for a goal, damnm that would be an awesome pull!! When do you Dead?

I think the reason for the military press is because I have an old injury to my left shoulder which I have never had surgically repaired. It definitely inhibits my pressing strength on overhead movement and benching movements. That being said, a couple of months ago when I started the seated military I was able to get 265 lbs for 1, and my last workout to failure I got 275 x 2.

I do intend on doing a powerlifting meet, deadlift only. I am not sure when. I would like to get as close to a 700 lb dead as I can before I do.

As to the deadlift, I started them earlier this year. I then took the last 3 months off. I will hit them again for 2-3 months and see what i can get to.

chris mason
11-15-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by the doc
chris an interesting routine...
Will you still workout with the same frequency or more often (whe you are not reaching failure)?

We'll have to see. I am not sure how the body will react to it. I just did the first workout last night. I hope to be able to train a bit more often.

nejar462
11-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Jesus freking christ, your deadlift is nearly ridiculous(You can hit 615 right?), Your back strength IMHO is inhuman, its almost impossible to believe that you dont take steroids or even use plifting equipment. Good Job man I'm really impressed. Just saying, if you were on steroids and actually did strap on a shirt you'd be close to world champion hood.

chris mason
11-15-2002, 12:56 PM
I have gotten 605 so far. If I can get to 700 lbs without any equipment and clean, I think I could get in the 900 range juiced and with equipment. If I do get to the 700 mark, I don't think I will go further and take drugs etc. It is tough because I KNOW what I could do if I did juice.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

chris mason
11-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Ok, biceps, rear delts.

Standing Barbell Curls(strict):
2 warmups
175 x 2
175 x 2
175 x 2
175 x 2
175 x 2

Bent-over Laterals:
no warmup
45s x 2
45s x 2
45s x 2

I mixed in a few sets of bench press. I haven't done these in a looonng time. My shoulders were still tight, so I just did them light and easy.

MonStar
11-18-2002, 12:20 AM
Wow chris, nice sets of BB curls man. Again good luck with this routine---it looks good so far. Curious to see what kinda weight you use for 5x5.

chris mason
11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
Ok, lower day.

Deadlift:
135 x 9
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 1
535 x 2
515 x 2
515 x 2
495 x 2

On each of the heavy sets, starting with 535, I reset before I performed the 2nd rep, so no bouncing off the floor.

I got an ouchie, I tore one of the callouses on my right hand. I tore the one at the base of my pinkie.

Good Mornings:
135 x 5
245 x 2
245 x 2

Squats (normal stance, just below parallel):
225 x 5
335 x 2
335 x 2
335 x 2

After the deads, I was a bit fried for the other exercises. Nothing was performed to failure.

Saturday Fever
11-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Since I'm joining the "chris mason weight gainers club", I better start double-timing it. It would suck for you to be nailing 700 and see some skinny tall guy behind you struggling with 450.

Nice lifting, the deads look evil.

Time + Patience
11-25-2002, 09:50 PM
I never asked, but do you Dead conventional or Sumo?? And any reason why u chose that stance?

chris mason
11-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Sumo. For the first couple years of my training I nearly never did deadlifts because when I tried them I found that I was relatively weak at the movement. I could squat considerably more than I could deadlift. When I did try them, I used a conventional stance. When I was about 21, I had gotten quite strong. I read that sumo stance worked well with individuals with strong hips etc. I deduced that as I squatted with a pretty wide stance I might be better with sumos. Well, I was right. The first time I did them, and I had not done deadlifts more than 2-3 times before that, I pulled a crapload more weight than I had ever done in the past. So I deadlifted for a couple of sessions and then didn't perform the movement for several more years.

ElPietro
11-26-2002, 08:42 AM
After viewing your deadlift session, I just thought I'd drop by to say I hate you. :)

chris mason
11-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Evidently bacteria hates me as well. I just found out I have strep throat this morning. Thanksgiving was painful:mad: . Oh well, probably won't train till mid next week:mad: .

ElPietro
12-03-2002, 12:14 PM
Feeling better bigman?

chris mason
12-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Ah yes, thanks to the modern miracle of antibiotics:D .

Trained back and shoulders today. It had been a while, since the 14th of November.

Seated Support Rows:
2 warmups
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3

Felt pretty good on these. A bit tougher than last time.

Seated Military Press:
135 x 8
185 x 7
225 x 1
245 x 3---tough
245 x 3---very tough, pretty much failure
245 x 2---tough
245 x 1---not bad
245 x 1---actually easier than the previous set

That was it. My shoulders always seem to wimp out more than my back after a layoff, or illness. I think it is due to the injury to my left shoulder, it seems to weaken quickly.

Not a bad workout overall.

The Calvinator
12-03-2002, 07:06 PM
do you prefer to do your military press in front or behind your head?

chris mason
12-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by The Calvinator
do you prefer to do your military press in front or behind your head?

I prefer behind the neck, but due to the previously mentioned shoulder problem I have, I am restricted to pressing to the front. Even that bothers it, but not as much.

MonStar
12-03-2002, 10:23 PM
Seated Support Rows:
2 warmups
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3
330 x 3

Awesome strength here chris, good work. Curious to see how you do with 330 for 5x5. Thats going to be damn impressive. Keep up the hard work man.

Ever tried these with a parallel-grip? Theyre excellent.

chris mason
12-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Forgot to list yesterday's biceps workout.

Standing Barbell Curls:
2 warmups
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3

Reps got tough on the last couple of sets.

Vido
12-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Hey Chris, that's impressive strength man. How long do you rest between each set to be able to keep the weight and reps the same?

chris mason
12-06-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm not really resting that long. The reason I can keep the weight and reps the same is because I am not going to failure. If I went to failure, I would experience a big dropoff for my next set.

MonStar
12-06-2002, 11:23 PM
Nice BB curls chris, good work. Going to be friggin' awesome when you get 175 for 5x5. Damn.

chris mason
12-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Legs and lower back today.

Deadlift:
135 x 9
225 x 6
315 x 6
425 x 1
535 x 2
535 x 1
515 x 1

Squats (feet wider than shoulders to parallel):
135 x 6
225 x 6
345 x 2
345 x 2
345 x 3

Alex.V
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
I gotta say... squatting after pulling over 5 plates for reps...

Yowch.

Squats went up since the last time though, huh? What kind of poundage progression are you looking for on the deads?

chris mason
12-10-2002, 05:40 PM
You know, I am not sure. I decided that doing 5 sets on the deads, then 3 sets of GMs, and then 3 sets of squats was excessive for me. I don't think my lower back had really recovered from my previous session. That was the reason I backed off a bit on the lower back this time. As for the deadlifts, I just want to get 535 x 2 for 3 sets next time. We shall see. I completely pause at the bottom of the reps on deads, thus making it harder. For me, again, right off the floor is my achilles heel. I like the routine I have been doing for my other bodyparts, but the verdict is still out on this one. If I don't see some better results for my next session, I am going to go back to the dead routine I was using, or at least to a lighter session in between.

Saturday Fever
12-10-2002, 10:11 PM
Yeah mix in some lighter sessions, or even throw in some speed singles with 70% of your 1RM.

chris mason
12-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Back and shoulders.

Supported Rows:
2 warmups
330 x 4
330 x 4
330 x 4
330 x 3
330 x 3

Seated Military Press:
135 x 9
185 x 6
225 x 2
245 x 3
245 x 3
245 x 3
245 x 3
245 x 2

Not bad.

chris mason
12-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Workouts have been a bitch as of late due to my 2 cases of strep within 1 month. Anyway, went to the gym with Craig James yesterday. I wasn't going to, but he talked me into it. Did deadlifts and squats. As I am still recovering, I decided to only do 1 heavy set of each. It was weird being in a gym, especially with the fact that they had mirrors all around. I have none in my basement gym. I made me kind of lose my balance a few times. I was looking at myself in the mirror, and it just kind of threw me off balance. Anyway, I pulled 545 x 1 on the deads. I did the rep pretty solid, then I lowered the weight to the floor and paused. I thought for sure I would get 2 reps in this fashion, but I didn't. Pausing definitely makes it much harder, but I still should have got it. This workout made me decide to go back to my previous heavy/light routine with low volume. I made awesome progress with this routine. I then went on to parallel/wider stance squats and did 345 x 3. I decided to stop there as my goal was not to go nuts for this workout. Craig tried deadlifting for the 1st time and we experimented with sumo and regular style. I think standard style suits him best. He did not go heavy as he has not trained legs in some time and his hamstrings got tight.

We then went on to play racquetball and Craig soundly thrashed me. I have not played since high school. It was fun, but tough as my legs were pooped from the workout.

Not a great workout, but it was real nice to go to the gym with Craig again.

Miss Rezza
12-25-2002, 06:05 AM
Anyway, I pulled 545 x 1 on the deads.

:omg:

that is all!

chris mason
12-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Miss Rezza

:omg:

that is all!

Thanks, but I pulled 605 a few months ago before I took some time off from the exercise.

Alex.V
12-25-2002, 11:11 AM
And you'll likely smash that record before I start getting near it again. :(

chris mason
12-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Well, hopefully. I have definitely decided to go back to the routine that worked so well for me. The 5 sets of low reps routine has not worked for me on my lower body workouts.

Craig James
12-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Chris, thanks again for showing me the deads. My ass, hams and traps are all still sore even though I did the 'wussboy' routine...

I thought it was funny as **** when you were pulling on your second rep of 545 on the deads and you let out this really loud "Whuuup! Whuup!" and then let the weight crash onto the floor. Everyone was staring over for a short while. The people at that gym aren't used to having a hard core lifter around...

chris mason
12-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I used to get that when I was a member there as well.

Ok, shoulders and back.

Support Rows:
140 x 8
230 x 6
330 x 5
330 x 5

Seated Military Press:
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 1
245 x 5
265 x 2

That was it. I have decided to back off on the volume for a bit.

chris mason
01-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Biceps:

95 x 8
135 x 6
155 x 1
175 x 6

That was it.

Saturday Fever
01-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Why the single with 155 between sets of 6? Did it just happen that way or is there a method in place I don't see?

And glad to see you're back and healthy again chris.

chris mason
01-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Dude, I am still not up to full speed, I feel tired as **** all of the time. I don't know what my issue is. Oh well...

The 1 rep with the 155 was because I decided that I am not quite ready to jump up to 175 after the 135. It just seems to prime the muscles a bit better.

chris mason
01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Ok light lower body today.

Deadlifts:
135 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 6
435 x 2

Squats---back to close stance, ass to the floor:
135 x 6
225 x 6
335 x 3

That was all.

Songsangnim
01-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Ok light lower body today.

Deadlifts:

435 x 2

LIGHT lower body today? If I could pull that weight on deadlifts, I'd die a happy man.

chris mason
01-07-2003, 07:25 AM
Actually, you wouldn't. You would suffer from that human need to always have more, and you would then say "I would die happy if I could pull 535 x 2". Of course, once you got that it would not be enough either.;)

chris mason
01-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Shoulders and back yesterday. I moved a bunch of wood and other stuff yesterday, so I was a bit tired.

Support Rows:
140 x 8
230 x 8
350 x 3
350 x 3

Seated Military Presses:
135 x 8
185 x 7
225 x 1
245 x 2
265 x 2.5---my goal is 3 next time

Shoulders were a bit sub-par, but I am not sure if the moving stuff had an effect. We shall see next week.

Hot Shot
01-08-2003, 06:02 PM
damn !nice military presses

chris mason
01-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks, but it wasn't very good for me. I really need to get a handle on these.

Oh, and nice to have some input into the old log:) .

Frozenmoses
01-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Great rowing strength, chris. And I don't care what you say, those militaries are nothing to scoff at.

:thumbup:

MonStar
01-08-2003, 08:46 PM
DAMN chris!! 350 for a triple on support rows! Insane. Keep up the hard work man. I am hoping for 350 for a single by July 1. And thats counting the 30 lbs. apparatus which you dont count, correct?

ericg
01-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Nice work chris!

Was wondering if your back is supported on the military press? Also, do you do them in front or behind your head?

Franco
01-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Did you ever get a chance to try out the zercher squat or lift?

chris mason
01-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ericg
Nice work chris!

Was wondering if your back is supported on the military press? Also, do you do them in front or behind your head?

Yes, my back is supported and I do them to the front.

chris mason
01-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by FAngel
Did you ever get a chance to try out the zercher squat or lift?

You know, I haven't yet. I think I will wait until I get my deadlift back up to snuff.

chris mason
01-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Ok, heavy arms.

95 x 8
135 x 6
155 x 2
185 x 4
185 x 2

Not bad, only my 2nd real biceps workout in quite some time.

My next exercise will not be mentioned, I am working on it in secret.

Pulley Pushdowns:
90 x 6
140 x 6
140 x 2

That was all. First time I have hit tris directly in a really long time.

GonePostal
01-12-2003, 03:04 PM

Chris your holding out on us! :p I bet its dumbell kick backs...

chris mason
01-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Lol, no not kickbacks.

I shall reveal it in due time...

Craig James
01-14-2003, 02:18 PM

Dude, I can't believe that you are actually experimenting with that weighted pelvic-thrust movement that we were talking about... It was just a joke, man!

the doc
01-14-2003, 02:26 PM
lol!

chris mason
01-14-2003, 03:26 PM

Dude, I can't believe that you are actually experimenting with that weighted pelvic-thrust movement that we were talking about... It was just a joke, man!

Where is the middle finger smilie when I need it?

chris mason
01-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Ok, so I had mentioned going back to my deadlift routine that produced results. Well, it has.

Heavy Lower Body:

Deadlifts:
135 x 8
226 x 6
315 x 6
425 x 1
545 x 2---Did this with about a 5-7 second pause between reps. It takes away all momentum you would normally have if you do continuous reps, and it makes things a bitch. Got both reps solid. Decided not to go for 3.

Squats (back to narrow stance, deep):
135 x 7
225 x 6
315 x 1
365 x 2
365 x 1

Great workout today. Strength was way up from my last heavy session.

Mik
01-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Wow! Nice deads Chris!

Songsangnim
01-19-2003, 02:06 AM
I am constantly amazed at how you can do squats and deadlifts in the same session and not low weight either. Your lower back must be made of iron. I've tried that in the past and just about crippled myself. BTW you don't use any equipment on these, do you?

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:07 AM
LOL @ EA... yeah his lower back must be made of iron to friggin' pull 605 off the floor! Awesome strength chris.

When is the next time youre going to be going heavy on deadlifts?

chris mason
01-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Well, first, I don't do a lot of volume. Second, my lower back does get sore.

I will next deadlift heavy in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and thanks!

chris mason
01-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Heavy back and shoulders.

Support Rows:
140 x 9
230 x 6
360 x 3
360 x 3

As a note, I only count the weight of the plates, not the weight of the apparatus.

Seated Military:
135 x 8
185 x 8
245 x 2
275 x 2
245 x 3

Tried for 3 on the 275, no dice.

ElPietro
01-20-2003, 07:41 AM
Chris, did you used to do military press standing? For some reason I thought you used to. If you did, I'm just curious what the difference in poundage was. Regardless, 275 is very impressive any way you slice it.

MonStar
01-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Damn chris, 360 for friggin' support rows is insane. Keep up the hard work man.

nejar462
01-20-2003, 09:24 AM
omg, your military press rivals my flat bench press with the bb, i cant even believe it. lol its very humbling

chris mason
01-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I was doing them standing for a time. When I started deadlifting, I dropped the standing presses because I felt it overworked my back. In terms of poundage, I think I got up to 255 or so on the standing presses, but I have gained strength since then, so I am not sure what I would be doing now if I practiced the movement.

You ain't seen nuthin on the support rows, give me a month or 2 and I will be in the 400 lb range. I am doing these heavy again.

chris mason
01-26-2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, heavy arms.

95 x 8
135 x 7
155 x 2
185 x 6---last one a fair amount of lean
195 x 1

Secret Exercise:
Tweaked something a bit here, I think it may just be scar tissue. I will see.

Pulley Pushdowns:
90 x 6
150 x 5
150 x 2

the doc
01-26-2003, 05:29 PM
whats this secret stuff going on in here

chris mason
01-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Nothing really. Just something I don't wish to discuss until I am up to snuff. Of course, with today's outcome, who knows.

chris mason
01-28-2003, 05:23 PM
"Light" Lower Body:

Deadlifts:
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
425 x 3---pause of a couple seconds between each rep

Squats (narrow, deep):
135 x 6
225 x 6
335 x 4

Nothing great today. I didn't feel entirely motivated. Of course, it was my light workout, so it didn't really matter...

Alex.V
01-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Secret exercise... benching again? Clean and jerk. Tricep kickbacks?

chris mason
02-03-2003, 03:26 PM
It's secret , can't say.

Ok heavy back and shoulders.

Supported Rows:
140 x 10
230 x 8
370 x 3---3rd was real close, close enough
400 x 1

Wanted to try 400. Remember, that is only the plates.

Seated Military Press:
135 x 8
185 x 6
245 x 2
285 x 1---first one was solid, got stuck on the 2nd. My sticking point on these is right about eyebrow level.
275 x 1

Good day today. I felt strong and hit some new highs.

MonStar
02-03-2003, 05:47 PM
DAMN chris, 400 lbs. supported rows. Crazy strength chris holy sh*t. What the hell is that nine 45s? Or was it eight 8 45s and a 35 and a 5?

Whatever it was, I cant imagine how heavy that felt. Do you have any idea how much the apparatus weighs? The Paramount one that I use is 30 lbs. According to the YMCA employees.

chris mason
02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
No idea, but with the setup, it isn't much. Remember, the one I am using is different than the one you are using at the gym. It did feel heavy, although the set with 370 felt worse. The biggest problem I have is that my machine really crushes your ribcage. It makes me feel like my head will explode. If I do more than a rep with really heavy weight I literally have to hold my breath the whole time.

the doc
02-03-2003, 07:55 PM
chris are you using the one where you sort of lay down almost parallel to the ground (maybe a 30 degree angle) and has a t-bar to grab on to?

chris mason
02-04-2003, 04:42 PM
No, I posted a picture of it once. You sit in a nearly upright position.

chris mason
02-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok, heavy lower body.

Deadlifts:
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
435 x 1
565 x 2---with a pause between reps!

Ok, the first rep with 565 was for fun, the second was for B, and anyone else. The 1st rep was solid. I lowered it under solid control. I paused and took about 5-6 deep breaths. The 2nd rep was tough, sloooowww:D . I then lowered the weight slowly again, no dropping. That was solid!

Squats (narrow, deep):
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 2
405 x miss---not too far off
385 x miss---real close here, if I had done it first, I think I would have had it.

Good day, felt strong!

Alex.V
02-11-2003, 03:55 PM
You do the big jump between weights, too. Nice pulling! :)

Saturday Fever
02-11-2003, 03:56 PM
I swear I will lift these kind of weights soon. Soon might mean 2-3 years, but there will come a time when I can be like, "Yeah I lifted what chris and B lifted."

chris mason
02-11-2003, 04:11 PM
I am sure you will. Hopefully, by then, I will be lifting more as well;) ...

MonStar
02-11-2003, 04:15 PM
LOL, thats how I think about it chris. Even when I feel like I am catching up with you and Belial somehow you guys manage to get a little bit stronger, and stronger, and stronger.

Silverback
02-11-2003, 04:17 PM
565 for fun! next it will be 600 while making a brew!

Your strength is oustanding m8, but if i remember rightly last time i saw your back it was wider and thicker than a hummer:)

Keep it up chief.

B-R

Saturday Fever
02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
I am sure you will. Hopefully, by then, I will be lifting more as well;) ...

And the fatty club will be reigning supreme!

the doc
02-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever

And the fatty club will be reigning supreme!

LOL.. we'll have to just start calling him tubby or chunk instead of chris :p

Great deadlifting!~

chris mason
02-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Being a "lardass", for lack of a better word, is good. You see, it is that lard which makes lifting of huge weights possible...

The above was a slightly tweaked excerpt from the movie Wall Street .

chris mason
02-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Ok, heavy arms today (plus shoveling snow!):

Standing Barbell Curls:
95 x 10
135 x 7
155 x 3
185 x 1
225 x 1---Most I have done since college. I cheated with a heavy back arch, but regardless, a lot of weight! At my "supplemented" best, the most I ever got was 225 x 3 with a bit less cheat on the 1st couple. Nice all the way around.

Pulley Pushdowns:
50 x 7
100 x 5
160 x 4---This is a plate loading pulley device. 160 lbs on this apparatus is more like 200+ at most gyms. Again, that was the most I have done in some time.

Nice day.

chris mason
02-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Well, first, I had the a nasty weekend. On Saturday, my wife calls me at work at about 10:30. She informs me that my basement is flooding. Here is Charlottesville we got hit by that nasty snow storm, and then Friday night/Saturday we got ~2.4" of rain. It proved to be too much for the basement. Water was coming in at the base of the walls all the way around. My drain was plugged evidently. No pump. Bad deal. Anyway, I went out and bought a couple of sump pumps and spent about 21 hours over 3 days trying to clean up the mess. The worst part was the carpet in the basement. Sucked. A lot of manual labor and lifting. I haven't been so bushed in a long time.

Anyway, messed up my lifting schedule.

Heavy back and shoulders today, abbreviated:

Seated Support Rows:
140 x 8
230 x 8
320 x 1
380 x 3

That was all.

Seated Military Press:
135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 2
245 x 1
285 x 1

I felt wimpy on these, not quite as good as last time. I think I will attribute that to all of the manual labor I have done over the last couple of days.

Well, that is all.

Craig James
02-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Dude, sorry to hear about the basement. We had over 3 inches of rain a couple of weeks ago and I had a home flood, followed by another home where a plumbing fixture broke and put the whole house under 4 inches or so of water. Wrecked the carpet and walls - what a bitch! So, I sympathize with your basement flooding. Is the carpet ruined?

SWOLE
02-25-2003, 04:52 PM
285 for shoulder press?? thats some bomb ass weight, nice strength. very nice.

secret exercise.... zottman curls?? worth a shot, it was arms day...

MonStar
02-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Sucks to hear about your basement chris, same thing happened to a lot of people here in Delaware. Nice work on the support rows BTW.

nejar462
02-25-2003, 06:06 PM
yeah mason we definelty had to go throw some crap here in NJ, so much snow it was ridiculous, tons of shoveling.