PDA

View Full Version : Do I need flax seed oil if......

GQ79
06-22-2003, 03:06 AM
I eat lots of natty peanut butter...prolly close 2 a jar a day...do i really need to take flax seed oil if i'm takin all this peanut butter in?

bradley
06-22-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by GQ79
I eat lots of natty peanut butter...prolly close 2 a jar a day...do i really need to take flax seed oil if i'm takin all this peanut butter in?

Well you need to get a good ratio of omege 3 fats to omega 6, and peanut butter is not a good source of omega 3s. I would recommend supplementing with some fish oil over flax to make sure you are getting in adequate amounts of omega 3s.

Flax contains ALA which has to be converted to EPA/DHA in the body, which is not really an effecient process. Fish oil already contains EPA/DHA so therefore no conversion is necessary.

pruneman
06-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by GQ79

YES or you will die!!!!

Well, maybe not, but i would recommend some fish oil or flax for the omega-3's.:D

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Do you reccomend fish oil if you are cutting? Check out what I've been eating lately and tell me if you reccomend it.

And how do you eat it? Just shoot it down?

bradley
06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
Do you reccomend fish oil if you are cutting? Check out what I've been eating lately and tell me if you reccomend it.

And how do you eat it? Just shoot it down?

I would recommend some source of omega-3s in your diet, and fish oil would be a good choice IMO. Most people go with the fish oil caps which generally contain 1g of fish oil per cap, but you can also get it in liquid form (cod liver oil) and in that case you would just slurp it down.:)

Also you might want to increase your cals a bit if you weigh 295lbs. Not eating enough cals will just slow your metabolism to a crawl.