PDA

View Full Version : Understanding GI

Scott S
06-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I know this has been beaten to death, but I am still curious.

I read that article on MinistryOfFitness about leptin and refeeds, and has the GI chart on the page. It lists the glycemic index of things such as apple juice, most fruit, and popcorn as being lower than oatmeal. So if I'm trying to limit insulin spikes throughout the day, should I be drinking a bunch of apple juice in the morning instead of eating unsweetened oatmeal? That seems really counterintuitive to me.

Thanks.

Holto
06-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
So if I'm trying to limit insulin spikes throughout the day, should I be drinking a bunch of apple juice in the morning instead of eating unsweetened oatmeal?

there is a big difference between an "insulin response" and an insulin response enormous enough to be called a *spike*

I don't think Oatmeal would illicit a spike at any time and is an excellent source of energy in the morning

Holto
06-22-2003, 03:07 PM
in addition you want your higher GI meals in the earlier part of the day

bradley
06-22-2003, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't put all that much stock into the GI.:) You also have to take into account the other foods that you will be eating with the high GI food. What I am trying to say is that the GI of the meal will more than likely be lower than the GI of the carbohydrate in question, because the protein and fat (assuming it is a mixed meal) would lower the GI of the meal.

This is a good thread that might be of interest:)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7510&perpage=25&highlight=glycemic%20index&pagenumber=1

bradley
06-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Holto
in addition you want your higher GI meals in the earlier part of the day

Just curious as to you reasoning behind this.:)

Scott S
06-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Sometimes I eat a bowl of oatmeal by itself, then eat something else in an hour or so. That's why I was curious.