PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Diet Questions

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Hello guys!

I'm on a cutting diet (major cut) and I have some random questions about food quality/health factor

1. What kind of fats are good, what kind of fats or bad? What sources are each good/bad fat from (animal, plant)?

2. Is there any good replacment mayo out there?

3. I'm on a pretty major cutting diet, but I don't want to loose what muscle I have. I'm not terribly worried about it *right now*, but I need to know what to eat for breakfast after my workouts (M,W,F at 5:30AM) Should I eat more carbs?

Right now I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal with natty peanut butter and some artifical sweetner in it.

I usually eat a tuna or chicken sandwich for lunch. On wheat bread if available (and it is, starting tomorrow!)

I try to drink 1 or 2 protien shakes a day. I'm *STILL* looking for a way to improve the taste of the vanila shakes. Mine is yucky.

Lemme know. As usual, thanks for the help.

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Also, is there a brand of healthy yogurt that I could eat like 1 or 2 times a day?

I'm a yogurt fan. I am currently eating the PUblix Creamy Blend lowfat yogurt (1% milkfat). I also have some nonfat yogurt

Let me know what I can eat in that field of things.

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 06:28 AM
Another thing - you keep talking about cheat days, etc.

I think I'm just going to have 1 cheat meal and 1 cheat dessert each week. I'll plan it since it's easier that way (rather than just saying "i might have 1 or i might not"

bradley
06-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
1. What kind of fats are good, what kind of fats or bad? What sources are each good/bad fat from (animal, plant)?

Good fats would include things like fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter.

I would limit the intake of saturated fats, and try to elimate trans-fats/hydrogenated fats.

2. Is there any good replacment mayo out there?

A tablespoon of the full fat mayo would be okay every now and then, but be careful because it is pretty calorie dense. You could go with the fat free, but it will have added sugar I believe.

3. I'm on a pretty major cutting diet, but I don't want to loose what muscle I have. I'm not terribly worried about it *right now*, but I need to know what to eat for breakfast after my workouts (M,W,F at 5:30AM) Should I eat more carbs?

I would recommend having a pre/post workout shake and then have a whole food meal ~90 minutes after training. You could take in ~25g of carbs and ~10-15g of whey in a small amount of water before training, and then immediately post workout ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein.

Right now I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal with natty peanut butter and some artifical sweetner in it.

What I mentioned above would probably be better suited for pre/post workout nutrition. You definitely want to keep fat at a minimum post workout so as not to slow the digestion of your post workout shake/meal.

I usually eat a tuna or chicken sandwich for lunch. On wheat bread if available (and it is, starting tomorrow!)

I try to drink 1 or 2 protien shakes a day. I'm *STILL* looking for a way to improve the taste of the vanila shakes. Mine is yucky.

The main thing you need to keep in mind is the amount of protein and EFAs in your diet. Shoot to get ~1g of protein per lb. of bw and ~25% of your daily cals from fat (mostly from healthy sources).

Also, is there a brand of healthy yogurt that I could eat like 1 or 2 times a day?

I would probably go with the non-fat plain yogurt, but I think cottage cheese with little fruit would be a better choice.

Another thing - you keep talking about cheat days, etc.

I think I'm just going to have 1 cheat meal and 1 cheat dessert each week. I'll plan it since it's easier that way (rather than just saying "i might have 1 or i might not"

Well if you are ~15% bodyfat (as your sig states:)) then a planned refeed once a week might not be a bad idea. Especially since you mentioned that you were creating a large calorie deficit throughout the week.

technogeeky
06-23-2003, 11:53 AM
That means my goal is 15%. I am much, much higher now.

bradley
06-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by technogeeky
That means my goal is 15%. I am much, much higher now.

If so then I would stick with the cheat meal/cheat dessert as you planned on. Might not have any metabolic benefits, but it will help psychologically:D As long as you eat things like sweets, candy, etc. in moderation you will have not problems.

Brandon7775643
06-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Techno:

What are you putting mayo on? For sandwiches and the like, mustard is a much better choice if you're tight on your daily calories. You can load up on it, so you have the moistness on the sandwich that you're used to, but won't have all the calories of mayo. Just make sure the mustard you choose isn't loaded with sugar.

If you do stick with mayo, be careful. If you are in the habit of using a lot of it, the calories can add up quickly.

technogeeky
06-24-2003, 10:00 AM
I plan on eating like 1 tbsp of lowfat (Helmens Ready2Go or whatever) mayo per day