PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Myth?

Proteen
08-20-2001, 03:57 PM
Confusion lingers in Proteen's head. I hear this and read that, but all in all, I want the truth.

Fact or Myth?

1. Glutamine taken before bed stimulates growth hormone.
2. Milk proteins are superior to meat proteins in building muscle.
3. Prohormones increase testosterone more than promoting estrogen.
4. Whey isolate is better than concentrate.
5. Isolation exercises should be performed before compound exercises to stimulate the targeted muscle.
6. Tribulus is nothing but a sex drive enhancer and has nothing to do with building muscle.
7. ECA should not be taken before a workout cause it blocks oxygen receptors in you cells and therefore you get exhausted faster.
8. Ginger root lets you absorb more protein in one meal.
9. Fructose should not be eaten with starches because fat gain can occur.
10. You should not count the proteins in oatmeal, bread, beans, and vegetables in your daily protein calculations cause they're not "complete".
11. Hydrolyzed protein (which is in all protein bars) is not absorbed and just passes out the tailpipe.
12. Cack has a mullet.

Fact or Myth?

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Proteen
Confusion lingers in Proteen's head. I hear this and read that, but all in all, I want the truth.

Fact or Myth?

*** Fact.

*** Myth.

*** Myth.

*** Depends.

5. Isolation exercises should be performed before compound exercises to stimulate the targeted muscle.

*** Depends.

6. Tribulus is nothing but a sex drive enhancer and has nothing to
do with building muscle.

*** Fact.

7. ECA should not be taken before a workout cause it blocks oxygen receptors in you cells and therefore you get exhausted faster.

*** To be honest I've never heard that before. Again it depends what "exhaustion" means and how "workout" is defined?

*** Myth

*** Myth

10. You should not count the proteins in oatmeal, bread, beans, and vegetables in your daily protein calculations cause they're not "complete".

*** Fact

11. Hydrolyzed protein (which is in all protein bars) is not absorbed and just passes out the tailpipe.

*** Myth.

12. Cack has a mullet.

*** Fact.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 04:21 PM
How did you find the Ginger root was a myth, Maki?

No way to really tell I guess, but some of the labjockeys (heh, heh) who were testing it out said they (Don't ask...) found noticeable improvement in overall digestion.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Yaz
How did you find the Ginger root was a myth, Maki?

No way to really tell I guess, but some of the labjockeys (heh, heh) who were testing it out said they (Don't ask...) found noticeable improvement in overall digestion.

*** If it were that noticable it would be at the top of the "most raved about breakthrough supps".
Therefore in a sense it is a myth.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 04:34 PM
Truedat.

Wonder how many who've actually tried it. I plan to, on my next bulk-up.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 04:38 PM
The problem Yaz is how are you really going to be able to tell whether it is making a difference or not?

Yaz
08-20-2001, 04:40 PM
Well, if it's anything worthwhile ... I'll notice some big time recovery, because the buttload of protein is going to repairing the muscles, as opposed to out ye olde shoot. Mind you, it WILL have to be something extremely noticeable... or I'll probably just overlook it, no matter how much I pay attention.

In theory it should also do some to relieve bloating with certain types of foods. Never know until you try it. But I didn't need to try Cell-Tech. :D

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Yaz
Well, if it's anything worthwhile ... I'll notice some big time recovery, because the buttload of protein is going to repairing the muscles, as opposed to out ye olde shoot. Mind you, it WILL have to be something extremely noticeable... or I'll probably just overlook it, no matter how much I pay attention.

In theory it should also do some to relieve bloating with certain types of foods. Never know until you try it. But I didn't need to try Cell-Tech. :D

*** Recovery could be dependant on your split, diet, stress levels, amount of sleep etc.... I mean all these variables have to be done in the same manner as last time.Unless you follow excatly the same guidelines you used last bulk up you will never really know.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 04:51 PM
Well it's going to be a lean bulk really, so the time frame will be extended. Plenty of time for trial and error.

But you're right, there are a lot of variables. But if I happen to notice better recovery/more progress with the same consistancy, using the root... then I'll have made a conclusion for myself.

Cackerot69
08-20-2001, 05:17 PM
Haha, I love myth/fact posts.

Fact, but is it enough to do anything to your body composition? Prolly not.

Fact.

Myth.

Fact.

Generally, myth. But, it does depend.

6. Tribulus is nothing but a sex drive enhancer and has nothing to do with building muscle.

Fact.

LOL, hilarious myth.

As far as I know, myth.

Fact.

Count them in your calorie totals, but not your protein intake. Fact.

Myth.

12. Cack has a mullet.

Myth, bitch.

Proteen
08-20-2001, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mullet-Head

Myth, bitch.

Fact or Myth?

1. Cack gets laid even though he has a mullet.

You damn right.

Frankster
08-20-2001, 06:39 PM

Fact.

That explains alot for me :D

08-20-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69

Fact.

Fact.

12. Cack has a mullet.

Myth

Just curious on your reasoning behind these 3 cack.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Proteen, might I ask how you know Cackerot ...

1) Has a mullet.
2) Gets laid even with a mullet.

You are 100% sure this is a fact. What is the reinforcement? :D

Cackerot69
08-20-2001, 07:32 PM
1. Higher BV/PDCAAS/PER etc etc....and also has immuno strengthening effects and anti-catabolic properties due to slow digestion.

2. The key word there is *can*. Starches + fructose can lead to glucose overload without a lot of total carbs, and you have higher potential for fat gain with this combo.

3. Because it's name is mulletizmo.

syntekz
08-20-2001, 08:24 PM

Fact

Can someone explain this a little more?

08-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
2. The key word there is *can*. Starches + fructose can lead to glucose overload without a lot of total carbs, and you have higher potential for fat gain with this combo.

Ok thats what I figured. I often have 1 banana and 1 Bagel (plus a bunch of eggs) after my cardio would you?

Cackerot69
08-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Personally, no I wouldn't.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 08:35 PM
MuscleAuthority, those proteins do not contain the entire amino stack. So they aren't counted as "whole".

syntekz
08-20-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Yaz
MuscleAuthority, those proteins do not contain the entire amino stack. So they aren't counted as "whole".

But why not count them as protein in your calculations?

Yaz
08-20-2001, 09:34 PM
I just told you why............

syntekz
08-20-2001, 09:42 PM
lol. nevermind.

They might not be a complete source of protein, but they still contain proteins.

No matter if its a complete protein or not wont it still help in building and repairing muscle?

Maki Riddington
08-20-2001, 10:40 PM
MuscleAuthority said,
No matter if its a complete protein or not wont it still help in building and repairing muscle?

*** Think of it this way....... it's like building a house, ya can't build a house without the proper materials. An incomplete protein is only used once it is reunited with it's other friends.

syntekz
08-20-2001, 10:52 PM
Thank you. You seem to be one of the only members with patience.

MClifter
08-21-2001, 07:26 AM
Would it make a difference if you ate a complete protein with an incomplete one? Maybe some beans and meat.

Cackerot69
08-21-2001, 07:28 AM
Incomplete protein are missing amino's, bread, beans and legume proteins are incomplete because they are missing luecine, tryptophan and/or some other amino's I can;t remember.

So, if you combine them with proteins that have those amino's you have a complete protein.

So, yes.

Chris Rodgers
08-21-2001, 07:29 AM
Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh Can't touch this. Hammer time!

Sorry, I always think of that when I see your name.

hemants
08-21-2001, 10:57 AM
"10. You should not count the proteins in oatmeal, bread, beans, and vegetables in your daily protein calculations cause they're not "complete".

Depends.

All the food proteins mentioned contain all essential amino acids just not in the same proportion.

Most vegetable sources are low in methionine with the exception of rice which is high. Milk and eggs are also high in methionine.

I think that the BV is a good proxy for how useful a protein is. Most of the sources mentioned fall in the 50-60 BV category.

Note that egg whites and egg yolks both have a lower BV than whole eggs. This is likely due to the amino acid ratios.

Thus, I would count those vegetables sources as at least 50% of their value (and higher if you're mixing it up ie. eating milk or rice or eggs with them)

the amounts of protein are small in comparison to other things in a bodybuilder's diet thus people recommend not counting them more as a matter of convenience.

Incidentally, the essential amino acid requirements for a sedentary individual amounts to 6g of protein a day. Thus I think the whole idea of protein completeness is overrated.

Tryska
08-21-2001, 10:59 AM
unless your a vegetarian, hemants (in which case, bb'ing might not be the sport for you)

breeze
08-21-2001, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington

*** Think of it this way....... it's like building a house, ya can't build a house without the proper materials. An incomplete protein is only used once it is reunited with it's other friends.

Says who. Where did you get that piece of incorrect information from.

hemants
08-21-2001, 11:07 AM
"unless your a vegetarian, hemants (in which case, bb'ing might not be the sport for you)"

Myth

Tryska
08-21-2001, 11:15 AM
vegetarians are encouraged to eat various grains, nuts, seeds and beans in combination so that they get a complete protein profile from them.

are you saying that's a myth?

or that vegetarians shouldn't bodybuild?

hemants
08-21-2001, 11:21 AM
The latter, I think that what you meant is Vegan (ie. no eggs or milk products) in which case I would agree that it would be difficult (but not impossible) to be a bodybuilder.

For an average person, the recommended intake of essential amino acids totals 6 g of protein. Thus, I think that the issue of protein combining is overrated FOR THE AVERAGE INDIVIDUAL.

What is not known is how many essential amino acids are required for bodybuilders. That is why it is best to be safe and make sure you get more than enough protein in case the exact ratio's are not present all the time.

Cackerot69
08-21-2001, 11:25 AM
LOL vegetarians are retarded....what's the point?

The best advice you can give to a vegetarian: eat meat.

hemants
08-21-2001, 11:31 AM
"LOL vegetarians are retarded....what's the point? "

This insightful comment is probably beyond the scope of this bulletin board.

Tryska
08-21-2001, 11:32 AM
oh yeah..your right...i was thinking vegan....because you definitely could exist and bodybuild using eggs and milk products....

my point was that if one decided they were going to be vegan and exist solely on say, brown rice, then they risk not getting all of the 8 proteins not manufactured by their bodies...as long as they eat a diet that is varied in their use of grains, legumes and such, they should be okay.

hemants
08-21-2001, 11:40 AM
Yup, I agree Tryska.

To put it in perspective, rice has all 8 of the essential amino acids in roughly equal proportion to egg with the exception of Lysine where it is low (but not missing by any means)

rice : 35.6mg Lysine per g of protein
egg : 70.2mg of Lysine per g of protein

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-21-2001, 01:21 PM
I count all my protein whether complete or incomplete - i just ensure that the bulk of it is from complete sources.