PDA

View Full Version : Soviet Periodization

PowerManDL
06-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Here's an excellent article by Tom Myslinski off of elitefts.com regarding Soviet periodization schemes:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/TomMyslinski.pdf

Requires Adobe Acrobat. Its 40 pages, but a damn good read.

fuzz
06-23-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't have time to read this right now (it might be bathroom material tomorrow at work), but do the Sheiko Routines follow the same principles and ideas?

PowerManDL
06-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Most everything from the Russian and old Eastern Bloc countries follows at least some of what's in there, Sheiko included.

Westside especally draws on a lot of it.

fuzz
06-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Have you used Sheiko? All I know of it is what I've read in some posts on MFW. It seems like its based around increasing work capacity, and a ton of volume near the end of the cycle. I'm curious as to the research or reasoning behind it.

PowerManDL
06-24-2003, 08:37 AM
www.zyworld.com/powerlifting

fuzz
06-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Matt I've been to the world powerlifting site and I've seen the structure of the Sheiko routines. I'm looking for an article or resource as to they why's behind the program. Why so much volume? What is the reasoning for the cycling it uses?

I've read some of the article from the elitefts site, and some of it is making sense...maybe the rest of it will explain more.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
www.zyworld.com/powerlifting

PowerManDL
06-24-2003, 08:00 PM
The Sheiko routines listed on that site are all for the preparatory period.

Prep period is generally a time to break the body in and begin to get it accustomed to higher working loads, which I'd guess is the idea here. The training %'s never go above 80%, and only rarely go above 70%.

I've yet to see any of Sheiko's routines for later on in the training cycle, but high-volume and low-moderate intensity is a staple of preliminary routines; the Soviets were a big fan of raising working capacity, and this is simply an extension of that.

silles
06-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Let us all bow down to the glory that is me for originally posting it in the general training area without any props. Pfft, I AM THE END OF ALL THINGS BEYOTCH!!!

PowerManDL
06-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Yes yes, props to you.

Paul Stagg
06-25-2003, 07:48 AM
I started reading it yesterday - awesome stuff.