PDA

View Full Version : Gas and protein

primetime18
06-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Yes I know this was mentioned before., but it's more of an update to the problem. I am lactose intolerant to an extent and large amounts of dairy give me stomach problems. I pretty much stay away from whey protein shakes because the gas from it is so frequent about 5-6 hours after ingestion and could kill a small country. Aside from planning to not do anything for a few hours 5-6 hours after taking a protein shake, is there anything I can do? All this protein (chicken, tuna, and anything else) has been going through me like no tomorrow. I bought a protein shake from GNC that supposedly contains no lactose but it didn't help so I assumed it was recommended to me for the sake of the sale. That was Designer Protein produced by Next.

My gas problems were also a little inconsistent. It was with tuna (which was mentioned before on the board) as well. So today after my workout I made a shake using my soy protein (which I kind of avoided before because I read about the longer period of time it took to get into your system). Anyways, I was extremely gassy from that as well.

I've been through periods of time when my body was receiving enough fibre, as well as periods when I wasn't, and there was no difference. It seems the key factor to all this is the protein. Can protein in general cause digestive problems? And is there anything I can do? I was thinking of seeing a doctor about it and hoping maybe they could prescribe something. I never had problems before I became serious about eating/working out and it's kind of gotten to the point where it's turned into a very bad situation because I can't go out or be around certain people because I don't want to kill them with my farts etc. Help :)

Delphi
06-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Maybe take some enzymes with it?

mindburnt
06-23-2003, 09:20 PM
same problem here. I get gas at precisely 5:50 pm every night and it goes non stop into bedtime. Im guessing that it is the dairy and whey. Compare yourself to your non-bodybuilding counterparts. Do you think they eat whey every day? Im sure they mainly eat junk food since they dont study food. but yet, they dont gas like crazy. At least the people i know. I never had this problem till i got into training/dieting. I think its whey. Im gonna find out for sure in about a month after a few weeks of a paleolithic diet(not entirly paleolithic) Im not starting it until i get a reply to my thread with useful suggestions.

primetime18
06-23-2003, 09:30 PM
I was offered the enzymes by the same girl at GNC who sold me the "lactose free whey". And thought I'd find out for sure what I should do before buying everything in the store this girl recommends.

The thing thatr frustrates me though is it's all types of protein, not just the whey... It's more prominent in the whey/dairy, but every type seems to be causing it. There has to be something I can do.

I tried apple sauce. The pectin in there is supposed to help with digestion a friend told me. It just constipated me and I ended up constipated and gassy lol.

GQ79
06-24-2003, 12:05 AM
I think its all protien..cause I really dont drink straight whey..I normally have 3 Myoplex MRP's a day thats a mixture of protiens..lots of natty butter...chicken..Mucle Milk by Cyto Pro whish is lactose free..or 99% free..and Cyto gainer protien...anyhow Its all the protien you take in that gives you gas..I really dont think I have ever gone a day without blowin my ass out..lol..I mean i dont even care anymore..when you got go u gotta go..just warn them..

bradley
06-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Delphi
Maybe take some enzymes with it?

I agree with Delphi. Maybe look into purchasing some Beano.

If you have just started taking in more dietary protein then I would imagine that it will get better as your body adapts to the higher protein intake.

T-Bone976
06-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I agree with Delphi. Maybe look into purchasing some Beano.

If you have just started taking in more dietary protein then I would imagine that it will get better as your body adapts to the higher protein intake.

what he said.

you have to 'ease' into eating more protein. Just stick to whole foods for now. Drink plenty of water. Apples are NOT easy to digest.

primetime18
06-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Ok thanks. I wish there was something I could do. I'll look into the enzymes for now.

Minotaur
06-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Since I've gone keto (March 17) and eliminated carbs during the week, I have almost no gas. And I've kept my protein intake about the same. When I carb up on the weekends, I get terrible gas that lasts for two days.

primetime18
06-24-2003, 02:19 PM
So if easing my body into a large protein diet is the reason, how can I better help my body with this process? i.e. going my recommended lifting protein intake until my body adjusts or doing it slowly. I've been working out for almost a year and a half with pretty much the same protein intake since day one and I would have thought my body had adjusted by now if that was the case.

Also, if the food goes right through me, does that mean my body isn't absorbing most of it?

bradley
06-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by primetime18
So if easing my body into a large protein diet is the reason, how can I better help my body with this process? i.e. going my recommended lifting protein intake until my body adjusts or doing it slowly. I've been working out for almost a year and a half with pretty much the same protein intake since day one and I would have thought my body had adjusted by now if that was the case.

How much protein are you taking in each day? What makes up the majority of your protein intake?

Also, if the food goes right through me, does that mean my body isn't absorbing most of it?

Your body is very effecient at absorbing food, and I do not think that should be a concern:)

primetime18
06-24-2003, 08:55 PM
I weigh 155 and I get about 150 grams per day. My protein is from eggs, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, turkey, and the protein shakes. I get the most gas from the shakes though no matter what kind of protein it is. Generally it's about a 30-35 gram protein shake.

bradley
06-25-2003, 02:43 AM
I weigh 155 and I get about 150 grams per day. My protein is from eggs, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, turkey, and the protein shakes. I get the most gas from the shakes though no matter what kind of protein it is. Generally it's about a 30-35 gram protein shake.

My advice would be to cut down on the dairy products and shakes as much as possible and see if that helps somewhat. Reducing your intake of certain foods might help you to isolate the problem, that is assuming it is one specific food causing the problem and not just the high protein diet in general.

primetime18
06-25-2003, 06:55 AM
When I was eating bars with about 30 grams each, I didn't have a problem from those. I stopped cause I had plety of other protein sources arouns but think I'll go pick some up.

bradley
06-25-2003, 10:30 AM
When I was eating bars with about 30 grams each, I didn't have a problem from those. I stopped cause I had plety of other protein sources arouns but think I'll go pick some up.

If that is the case it sounds as though lactose may be the culprit.

primetime18
06-25-2003, 11:17 AM
But why would I get it from the soy shake as well? Unless there's other stuff with the soy....

*starts burger/chicken diet*

bradley
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
But why would I get it from the soy shake as well? Unless there's other stuff with the soy....

Maybe it is the fact that the shakes are digested at a much faster rate than whole food.

primetime18
06-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Ok, I can accept that. Thanks for your help :)