PDA

View Full Version : going on a diet



icanrace
06-24-2003, 05:49 AM
I have never been into sticking to just clean foods. I have some fat on my gut that I would like to get rid of or at least lesson. I am going to start eating cleaner foods and maybe even not as much as I normaly do. If I don't eat a ton throughout the day like usual, will this hurt me gaining any muscle mass during this time? I am thinking of sticking with mainly chicken and salads for awhile. Please give me your thoughts.

T-Bone976
06-24-2003, 05:57 AM
please be more specific if you want us to critique your diet.:cool:

bradley
06-24-2003, 08:11 AM
You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but this usually happen with people who are new to training or using AAS. I think you would see much better results concentrating on one goal at a time. In order to lose weight you should eat under maintenance calories while making sure to take in adequate protein and EFAs.

icanrace
06-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bradley
You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but this usually happen with people who are new to training or using AAS. I think you would see much better results concentrating on one goal at a time. In order to lose weight you should eat under maintenance calories while making sure to take in adequate protein and EFAs.
My biggest fear is when I am concentrating on losing some gut, I will also lose or prevent any new or existing muscle mass. Does that make sense? I know that cutting and bulking at the same time isn't likely. Maybe that is the way I made it sound. But my main concern is during this (I guess you could call it a cutting phase) is building new mass and losing existing mass :confused:

bradley
06-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by icanrace

My biggest fear is when I am concentrating on losing some gut, I will also lose or prevent any new or existing muscle mass. Does that make sense?

Yes that does make sense, but you should expect some muscle loss when dieting and minimal muscle gain. The degree of calorie deficit, adequate amounts macros, etc. will go a long way in minimizing muscle loss.



I know that cutting and bulking at the same time isn't likely. Maybe that is the way I made it sound. But my main concern is during this (I guess you could call it a cutting phase) is building new mass and losing existing mass :confused:

Well that is still losing fat and gaining muscle, but you just phrased it differently. The main goal when dieting should be to hold onto the LBM that you have while maximizing the amount of bf that you lose. Muscle gain could happen but not likely, and if it does I would just consider it an added bonus so to speak.:)

icanrace
06-24-2003, 08:23 AM
So what would you do? I just have a small amount of fat I need to rid of. Should I focus on a diet or should I just work harder in the gym? I rarely do cardio, could this be a good first step in losing that fat? I have always been able to eat anything I want w/out giving me much hassle, even though I often more than not, eat cleaner foods than bad. Maybe cardio should be my first step and still eat like I normaly would.

bradley
06-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by icanrace
So what would you do?

Well that would depend on your goals. Do you want to try and lose that little bit of bf, or do you continue wanting to gain weight?



I just have a small amount of fat I need to rid of. Should I focus on a diet or should I just work harder in the gym? I rarely do cardio, could this be a good first step in losing that fat? I have always been able to eat anything I want w/out giving me much hassle, even though I often more than not, eat cleaner foods than bad. Maybe cardio should be my first step and still eat like I normaly would.

Well you could start by either maintaining your current diet and throwing in some cardio a couple times a week and see what kind of results you get, or you could work on cleaning up your diet a bit. I just would not recommend cutting cals and adding in cardio at the same time, which is a good recipe for muscle loss IMO.

To lose weight you are going to have to burn more cals than you take in (calorie deficit), and you can accomplish this through diet, training, or a combination of the two. I just want to emphasize to not do too much at once. Take it a little at a time so you will be better able to monitor your progress.

icanrace
06-24-2003, 08:39 AM
I know this may sound stupid, but since I am wanting to lose some fat in my gut area, this really means lose weight? I would rather look at it like turn that fat into muscle and not losing weight :p :cool:

bradley
06-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by icanrace
I know this may sound stupid, but since I am wanting to lose some fat in my gut area, this really means lose weight? I would rather look at it like turn that fat into muscle and not losing weight :p :cool:

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers:D Anyway yes you will have to lose bf to get rid of that little bit of stubborn bf, and you can not turn muscle into fat. I wish you could but it just is not possible:(

icanrace
06-24-2003, 09:54 AM
so never doing cardio, how much and how long should I go per week or day?

bradley
06-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by icanrace
so never doing cardio, how much and how long should I go per week or day?

I would probably start off slowly and work my way up to about 30 minutes 2-3 times per week, but then again this would depend on the type of cardio that you were performing. You might want to take a look at the HIIT sticky in the training forum, which contains some good information relating to HIIT.

icanrace
06-24-2003, 01:44 PM
I would be most interested in doing this on days I DON'T LIFT and also running outside.

Holto
06-24-2003, 02:13 PM
losing that last little bit is the most difficult

the bright side of losing some muscle is that it is re-gained very quickly

if all you have is some on the stomach a 4 week cut should take care of that

now realistically how much muscle can you lose in 4 weeks ?

2-5lbs maybe

and that could be re-gained in 4wks also

icanrace
06-24-2003, 02:14 PM
How much cardio fella's?

bradley
06-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by icanrace
How much cardio fella's?


Originally posted by bradley
I would probably start off slowly and work my way up to about 30 minutes 2-3 times per week, but then again this would depend on the type of cardio that you were performing. You might want to take a look at the HIIT sticky in the training forum, which contains some good information relating to HIIT.

What does your typical daily diet look like now and what is your bf% if you know it?

icanrace
06-24-2003, 06:54 PM
my daily diet is 5-7 small meals a day. chicken,steak, salad and sometimes anything I want. Take Protein shakes PW.

BF % is 11 last I knew

bradley
06-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by icanrace
my daily diet is 5-7 small meals a day. chicken,steak, salad and sometimes anything I want. Take Protein shakes PW.

BF % is 11 last I knew

If you do decide to diet then you will probably need to incorporate refeeds into your diet, so as to help keep leptin levels from dropping too low.

Also make sure that you are taking in enough EFAs in your diet.