PDA

View Full Version : taking fish oil for fats and EFA, will this help me lose weight? & other fish oil Q's

chops
06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
It's been about 2 months and I have not lost more than 2 lbs. I am frustrated that i have not lost more and think it's because there is not enough fat in my diet so I was thinking to supplement with fish oil.

can someone tell me if i'm on track with this or need to make other changes? Basically I increased my activity level and drastically changed my diet while keeping the caloric intake the same as before.

i used to do moderate cardio about 3-4x a week. now do strength training about 2x a week and and 3-5x high intensity cardio.i eat about 5x a day (200-300 cals per meal, about 1200-1400 cals per day). drink 10+ cups of water. about 95% of fat in my diet is already in the food. i rarely add in fat when i cook. i have about 3-4 "free meals" a week. i don't go crazy and meals are not fat dense, i just don't carefully monitor what's in the food. my diet has:

veggies (mostly carrots,spinach,tomato,romaine)
tuna, grilled or canned chicken, ground turkey patties, ff cottage cheese, egg beaters
beans,whole wheat bread, brown rice(seldom), fruit (mainly oranges,banana,apples)
ff sf yogurt, protein powder,oats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fish oil Q's, using this article as a reference
http://www.mercola.com/2002/jun/8/fish_oil.htm

-based on my diet, do i need an vitE and vitK supplement?. i live in CA but am rarely in the sun. does that make cod oil a better choice for me (vit d)?

-i'm currently eating a TB of raw flax seeds daily. does that mean I should take 2 teasp of oil instead of a whole TB of fish oil

- is there a way to evaluate the quality of fish oil? like if i get them at walmart /costco, vs. ordering carlson's.

hemants
06-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Losing weight is a simple matter of calories for the most part.

some questions:

1. are you losing strength in your lifts?
2. are you sure you are counting all of your calories? i highly doubt that you are consuming 1200-1400 calories a day with that activity level and not losing weight unless you weigh 100 lbs.

bradley
06-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by chops
[B]-based on my diet, do i need an vitE and vitK supplement?. i live in CA but am rarely in the sun. does that make cod oil a better choice for me (vit d)?

A good multi-vitamin would be better IMO than supplementing with just Vit E and K.

-i'm currently eating a TB of raw flax seeds daily. does that mean I should take 2 teasp of oil instead of a whole TB of fish oil

It would depend on the overall EPA/DHA content of the oil, but most fish oil comes in 1g caps and I usually see recommendations of ~6g per day.

- is there a way to evaluate the quality of fish oil? like if i get them at walmart /costco, vs. ordering carlson's.

I would make sure that the oil has been molecularly distilled so as to remove any contaminates, and if you buy the cod liver oil in the liquid form I would go with the kind in the tinted glass bottle. If you decide on the fish oil caps then you can bite one of the caps to make sure that the oil is not rancid.

bradley
06-24-2003, 03:23 PM
It's been about 2 months and I have not lost more than 2 lbs. I am frustrated that i have not lost more and think it's because there is not enough fat in my diet so I was thinking to supplement with fish oil.

can someone tell me if i'm on track with this or need to make other changes? Basically I increased my activity level and drastically changed my diet while keeping the caloric intake the same as before.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33406

chops
06-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by hemants
Losing weight is a simple matter of calories for the most part.

some questions:

1. are you losing strength in your lifts?
2. are you sure you are counting all of your calories? i highly doubt that you are consuming 1200-1400 calories a day with that activity level and not losing weight unless you weigh 100 lbs.

1. not sure what u mean. pls elaborate.
2. my weight fluctuates 109-112. a typical meal is 1 cup yogurt w/ 1/2 cup cottage cheese (~200 cals) another meal might be a 4oz of chicken, big salad with 1 TB light dressing,and an orange. (~300 cals) . condiments are used but sparingly.

i got back from vacation last night so my eating is not completely back on track yet, but here's what i had so far today:
---------------------------------------------------

1/2c multigrain oats w/1 TB raisins

1c ff sf yogurt w/ 1/2c cottage cheese

8" tortilla, some cheese, scrambled egg

Frozenmoses
06-24-2003, 03:58 PM
I think the problem might be that you only weigh 110 lbs. You should be trying to add some mass instead of taking it away. What's your bf%?

carolinagirl
06-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Um, I think she's a girl, y'all. That is a normal weight for her height (5'2"). It's in her sig!

I don't have studies or anything on this (that's Bradley's department! ;)) but anecdotally, in order to lose fat, fat should probably comprise about 15-40% of your cals.

Go check out www.stumptuous.com - Krista has an article somewhere on there about how she struggled to lose fat on a low-fat diet, and how much better her results were once she added in more fat. (Also, it's just a cool, informative, funny site aimed towards women lifters.)

I shoot for about 35-40% fat/ 25% carb/35-40% protein in my diet.

hemants
06-24-2003, 04:11 PM
"1. not sure what u mean. pls elaborate."

Are you able to lift the same or more with each workout?

If you're not sure then this is very important. Management begins with measurement so you should keep track of how much you are lifting on the big compound lifts and do these first in every workout. If you are losing strength then that would explain why you are not losing weight. That is, you are progressively lowering your metabolism by losing muscle tissue.

Slow and steady is the way to go. Find a calorie level that allows you to maintain strength and drop 1 pound every two weeks or so.

Frozenmoses
06-24-2003, 04:36 PM
My bad, my intuitive bone must be broken.

bradley
06-24-2003, 05:13 PM
1/2c multigrain oats w/1 TB raisins

1c ff sf yogurt w/ 1/2c cottage cheese

8" tortilla, some cheese, scrambled egg

I think adding in some EFAs would be a step in the right direction. The only significant source of fat so far has been the egg and plus the small amount you would get from the oats and cheese.

I am not aware of a specific amount of EFAs that would be considered "ideal," but ~25% of daily cals from fat seems to be the most common recommendation. I am sure that you could get by with a lower amount, but that would also be dependant on the source of dietary fat.

the doc
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
although cod liver oil is a good source of vit a and d, one must be careful of overconsumption, as vitamin a can be toxic in higher doses (dont get this confused with carotenoids found in carrot as they are a pro-vitamin, something the body can store and readily converto to vit a as needed)

the doc
06-24-2003, 05:31 PM
also, as echoed by others, increase your consumption of healthy fat in general

I would concentrate on extra virgin olive oil (if you like the taste)

CBates
06-24-2003, 07:20 PM
When taking cod liver oil, would one need to worry about any mercury levels in it?

chops
06-24-2003, 07:41 PM
ok, thanks everyone, and bradley, U are the bomb.

frozenmoses - i feel grossly mislead by your sig link :)

i'll switch from ff cottage cheese to 2%, spray some olive oil when i grill meats and do the fish oil. that should get me to 20-25% fat.

chops
06-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by CBates
When taking cod liver oil, would one need to worry about any mercury levels in it?

some brands test the fish they use in the oil, as this one at the link i posted earlier http://www.mercola.com/2002/jun/8/fish_oil.htm.

if you search the wbb threads for tuna/salmon/other fish consumption, the majority *opinion* is that the mercury levels from eating fish aren't dangerous.

bradley
06-25-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by CBates

Just make sure that the oil has been molecularly distilled which would remove any mercury or other contaminates.

bradley
06-25-2003, 03:28 AM
i'll switch from ff cottage cheese to 2%, spray some olive oil when i grill meats and do the fish oil. that should get me to 20-25% fat.

I would stick with the fat free cottage cheese and then maybe go with a little more olive oil or fish oil, because the fat in cottage cheese is not very beneficial from a nutrition standpoint.