PDA

View Full Version : SIZE - HST... Road to 200lbs

Meat_Head
06-25-2003, 09:42 AM
I've decided to try out HST for maybe 6-8 weeks because I'm sick of being 180lbs and flabby :P

I realize my strength may drop some, but I'm willing to accept that. I can gain strength extremely fast if I want to. Hypertrophy is a much slower process.

I read up on Hypertrophy Specific Training last night and it seems like a very scientific and viable program. It makes sense for my goals, so I'll give it a try, and if I like it I'll probably use it again.

For those of you who already know about the routine, I'll be skipping the weeks of 15 reps. I don't feel its necissary. I'll probably do 2 weeks of 10 reps, 2 weeks of 5 reps, week off and repeat. Or I may go ahead and do the 2 weeks of negatives to continue increased load. After that I'll look in the mirror to see what kind of results I'm getting and possibly switch back the my regular training.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, check out:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com

The routine I will be using is:
1st day -
Squats - 2 sets
SLDL - 2 sets
Bench press - 2sets
Dips - 1 set
Supported DB rows - 2 sets
Pullups - 1 set
DB shoulder press - 2 sets
DB shrugs - 2 sets
EZ curl bar curls - 2 sets
Tricep pushdowns - 2 sets
Forearms - 2 sets
Calves - 2 sets
Abs - 1 set

2nd day -
Leg press - 2 sets
Leg curl - 2 sets
Incline DB flies - 2 sets
Dips - 1 set
Pulldowns - 2 sets
Pullups - 1 set
DB laterals - 2 sets
BB shrugs - 2 sets
DB curls - 2 sets
Machine triceps or DB skulls - 2 sets
Forearms - 2 sets
Calves - 2 sets
Abs - 1 set

That's alot of sets per workout, so I may drop the calves and abs at the end depending on how I feel after the first workout.

Today I'll be doing the first workout without the leg exercises, because I worked those very hard yesterday. I'll pick back up with them friday on the second workout.

I'll be drinking more milk to bulk. Not much else... Supplements will be multivitamins and possibly chondroitin during the 5 rep and negative weeks.

Blood&Iron
06-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

Today I'll be doing the first workout without the leg exercises, because I worked those very hard yesterday. I'll pick back up with them friday on the second workout.

This makes it sound like you haven't done SD.

There are quite a few liberties one can take with HST. Skipping SD is not one of them.

Also, since you said you read about it last night, I assume you haven't tested your maxes. This is another big mistake (Though, not quite as severe as the first)

If you're going to use HST, use HST.

Relentless
06-25-2003, 10:24 AM
meathead

B&I told me the same thing and I ignored him.

Big mistake.

Decondition. Test your maxes. Don't rush into it. Your muscles will thank you for it.

Also, the weeks of 15s are tedious but I think they're worth it... odds are you'll challenge your muscular endurance as well as strength, which is cool.

kook
06-25-2003, 11:01 AM
are you gonna be throwin stones around for some of those workouts???? i think your going soft!!!

just playin much, much luck growing, and as i was told by an old timer, your muscle strength can only go up so much with a certain size muscle, so sometimes you need to grow some muscles to make em even stronger

Meat_Head
06-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

This makes it sound like you haven't done SD.

There are quite a few liberties one can take with HST. Skipping SD is not one of them.

Also, since you said you read about it last night, I assume you haven't tested your maxes. This is another big mistake (Though, not quite as severe as the first)

If you're going to use HST, use HST.

Yesterday I didn't know I would be doing HST, which is why I went ahead and did a posteriorchain/leg workout.

I don't think it will be too harmful to my progress even without loading properly, I'll just start light on friday.

I didn't lift weights from thursday 2 weeks ago to monday of this week. I'm considering that deconditioning.

Mystic Eric
06-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

Yesterday I didn't know I would be doing HST, which is why I went ahead and did a posteriorchain/leg workout.

I don't think it will be too harmful to my progress even without loading properly, I'll just start light on friday.

I didn't lift weights from thursday 2 weeks ago to monday of this week. I'm considering that deconditioning.

You MUST decondition. If you don't, you're just wasting your time and you might as well not do it. Do the program properly or else don't bother 'cause you won't see any results.

Meat_Head
06-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

You MUST decondition. If you don't, you're just wasting your time and you might as well not do it. Do the program properly or else don't bother 'cause you won't see any results.

I didn't touch a weight for 10 days, isn't that enough deconditioning?

Meat_Head
06-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kook
are you gonna be throwin stones around for some of those workouts???? i think your going soft!!!

just playin much, much luck growing, and as i was told by an old timer, your muscle strength can only go up so much with a certain size muscle, so sometimes you need to grow some muscles to make em even stronger

Thanks bro! I'll get back to throwin rocks around after I try this out :)

Meat_Head
06-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Easy enuff, still had me sweatin...

Bench press
95x10
95x10

Dips
BW x 3

DB rows
35's x 10
35's x 10

Pullups
BW x 2

DB shoulder press
20's x 10
20's x 10

DB shrugs
35's x 10
35's x 10

EZ bar curls
50x10
50x10

Pushdowns
70x10
70x10

Calve raise machine
100x10
100x10

DB decline situps
15x10

DB forearm curls
10x10
10x10

DB reverse forearm curls
5x10
5x10

Woohoo fullbody workouts are fun. Can't wait to get all of these lifts up in the heavy weights tho

I'll be switching SLDLs to the second day and leg curls to the first, to get some lowerback/post. chain stimulation 3 days a week instead of 1 or 2.

Tank23
06-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey Meat Head, good to see you doing HST.

I can tell you right now though, don't expect to see much hyperrophy in your legs. Even tho you did somewhat decondition, after that hard leg workout you said you did, only your upper body will still be deconditioned.

That's a good idea switching SLDLs to the second day, I was gonna suggest that ;)

-Tank

Meat_Head
06-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Tank23
Hey Meat Head, good to see you doing HST.

I can tell you right now though, don't expect to see much hyperrophy in your legs. Even tho you did somewhat decondition, after that hard leg workout you said you did, only your upper body will still be deconditioned.

That's a good idea switching SLDLs to the second day, I was gonna suggest that ;)

-Tank

I think I'll hold off on leg training friday and just pick it up next monday to help with that some. Hopefully I'll still be able to load correctly on them after that.

Meat_Head
06-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Actually.... I think I'll go ahead and stop, due to your persuasion :). Sorry for being annoying, but I really want to do this right. I will decondition and start over, going from 15 rep workouts to 12 rep workouts to 10 8 and 5 then on to negatives. I'll try to get 2 workouts in for each rep range aside from 10, 8, 5, and negative reps, which will get 3 workouts each. I think it will be easier to increase load without confusion of how much weight to put on and wether its too much or too little.

This cycle should last about 5-6 weeks.

I will also be using only one workout:

Squats - 2 sets
SLDL's - 1 set
Barbell bench press - 2 sets
Dips - 1 set
DB supported rows - 2 sets
Pulldowns - 1 set
DB shoulder press - 2 sets
DB shrugs - 2 sets
EZ bar curls - 2 sets
Pushdowns - 2 sets
Calves - 2 sets
Forearms - 2 sets
Abs - 1 set

Simple enough.

Now I need your help... How long should I decondition before I start all over again?

All I've done since my week and a half off is that hard leg workout, a chest workout, and the light hst workout yesterday...

Is there anything else I need to take into mind?

Tank23
06-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Actually.... I think I'll go ahead and stop, due to your persuasion

Good idea :)

I think that 9-10 days should be fine, since you've only done 3 workouts.

You seem to be doing a lot of sets. Maybe you might like to try an AM/PM split, and do half in the morning and half at night. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Also, if you really want to do it right, I reckon you should test your maxes, then do SD. I was really excited about starting HST, like you seem to be, and I really didn't want to have to test maxes, but I did, coz I know it'll benefit me in the long run.

You really don't want to be working close to failure when training that frequently, and it may be hard to feel how far off failure you are. But, if you feel that you're very in touch with your body, you could go by feel.

-Tank

Meat_Head
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM

Good idea :)

I think that 9-10 days should be fine, since you've only done 3 workouts.

You seem to be doing a lot of sets. Maybe you might like to try an AM/PM split, and do half in the morning and half at night. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Also, if you really want to do it right, I reckon you should test your maxes, then do SD. I was really excited about starting HST, like you seem to be, and I really didn't want to have to test maxes, but I did, coz I know it'll benefit me in the long run.

You really don't want to be working close to failure when training that frequently, and it may be hard to feel how far off failure you are. But, if you feel that you're very in touch with your body, you could go by feel.

-Tank

Ok, what would be the best way to split it into AM/PM, half the exercises in the morning and half at night?

I can guess most of my maxes pretty well. I think I'll recheck on some of the exercises maybe today.

I guess I'll take the rest of this week and next week off and get started the monday after that with the 15's. Phew this is alot of rest, gotta find somethin to do...

Blood&Iron
06-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Test your maxes this week.

fuzz
06-26-2003, 01:12 PM
If I were you I would follow the example routine to the letter or near to it. Try upping volume, frequency, playing with splits, etc...next time around. Its better to do the basic program first and see how you responsd. Then you can tinker with it.

Meat_Head
06-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Right arm - 15"
Left arm - 14.25"
Chest unflexed - 39.75"
Chest flexed - 42"
Waist - 34.25"
Right thigh - 25.5"
Left thigh - 24.75"
Right forearm - 13.25"
Left forearm - 12.5"
Neck - 16.2"
Calves - 16"
Right wrist - 7.5"
Left wrist - 7.25"

5'11
181lbs
White male
17 years old

Beginning pics :

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/locke1290/lst?.dir=/Bodybuilding+-+Beginning+pics+6-26-03&.view=t

Tank23
06-27-2003, 04:29 AM
Ok, what would be the best way to split it into AM/PM, half the exercises in the morning and half at night?

I can guess most of my maxes pretty well. I think I'll recheck on some of the exercises maybe today.

I guess I'll take the rest of this week and next week off and get started the monday after that with the 15's. Phew this is alot of rest, gotta find somethin to do...

The way I've split mine up is half for AM, then the other half PM. But now I've also decided to do some exercises in both sessions. Check out my journal if you want to see my split.

Fuzz could have a point about just doing the standard routine for your first cycle, but I think doing an AM/PM split is not that much different from the standard routine. All you're doing is splitting the exercises up into two workouts, to reduce fatigue.

Meat_Head
06-27-2003, 11:31 PM

The way I've split mine up is half for AM, then the other half PM. But now I've also decided to do some exercises in both sessions. Check out my journal if you want to see my split.

Fuzz could have a point about just doing the standard routine for your first cycle, but I think doing an AM/PM split is not that much different from the standard routine. All you're doing is splitting the exercises up into two workouts, to reduce fatigue.

Cool thanks for the advice. I may use that every once in a while if I begin to get tired during a workout or something.

I tested maxes yesterday, wrote em down in a journal, I might post them here later.

Tank23
06-28-2003, 04:46 AM
:thumbup: