PDA

View Full Version : Gaining 10lbs of pure muscle by August 31

booster1
06-25-2003, 12:02 PM
When I first went for lifting my intentions were to only gain weight because i was very small. So I gained about 25 lbs but after doing a sport I lost some body fat to 8% from like 16%. Now I'am at 150lbs and want to gain the muscle withou fat which I know is almost impossible but I want you guys to give me some tips on what to eat. I will be taking creatine, glutamine. My diet would include beans, tune, 120g of protein supplents per day, oatmeal, buckwheat, eggs. Can you recomend some other high protein low fat foods.

Most important of all about this diet, and I know I can stick to the diet can it be done, without gaining fat again.

WillKuenzel
06-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Be sure you are getting at least 1g protein per pound of LBM. Then be sure you are getting adedquate amounts of healthy fats from sources like olive oil or fish oil caps. Be sure at least 25% of your calories are coming from fat. After you know what your protein and fat intake needs to be then fill the rest in with complex carbs.

It would be a good idea to get a close estimate to how many calories you need just for maintenance. Then tack on about 500 more calories and you should gain lean muscle that way.

booster1
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
I dont know much about complex carbs.. Can you list a coulpe of foods that contain these?

Nick

SoulOfKoRea
06-25-2003, 04:55 PM
drop the glutamine unless you're planning on doing some cardio activity during your bulking period, save it for a cut.

bradley
06-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by booster1
I dont know much about complex carbs.. Can you list a coulpe of foods that contain these?

Nick

oats, sweet potatoes, beans, veggies, fruit, pasta, ww bread, brown rice

bradley
06-26-2003, 02:22 AM
I will be taking creatine, glutamine. My diet would include beans, tune, 120g of protein supplents per day, oatmeal, buckwheat, eggs. Can you recomend some other high protein low fat foods.

If you want you can post an example of your daily diet and I am sure you will get some good feedback.

Most important of all about this diet, and I know I can stick to the diet can it be done, without gaining fat again.

Sure it can be done, but you should expect to gain some fat when trying to add LBM. Gaining at a slow rate and monitoring your progress should help in minimizing fat gain.

the doc
06-28-2003, 04:37 PM
sorry man, but really only with drugs will you gain zero BF on a bulk

aka23
06-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by the doc
sorry man, but really only with drugs will you gain zero BF on a bulk

I disagree. It is relatively common for untrained or overweight persons to lose fat while gaining muscle. Several studies which found this effect are linked at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss.html . It is possible for trained persons to do this as well, it is just less common. I agree that booster1 should not expect to gain zero BF, but it is certainly not impossible without drugs.

I have gained more than 10lb on my bulk while losing a small amount of BF. I have been working out for ~10 years, so I am not untrained; and started out at ~5% BF. I have never used bodybuiding or fat loss type drugs, and I have only used minimal supplementation. This supplementation includes ~3g of essential fatty acids per day and the occasional multivitamin/mineral.

I think a good method for minimzing fat gain is to eat only a small amount above maintenance calorie level so that you gain 1lb or less per week, do a lot of cardio, and carefully monitor progress. The slower you gain weight, the less likely you are to gain fat.

Y2A
06-28-2003, 06:10 PM
aka = proof that it can be done, check out his journal. It looks like alot of work though!!

the doc
06-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by aka23

I disagree. It is relatively common for untrained or overweight persons to lose fat while gaining muscle. Several studies which found this effect are linked at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss.html . It is possible for trained persons to do this as well, it is just less common. I agree that booster1 should not expect to gain zero BF, but it is certainly not impossible without drugs.

I have gained more than 10lb on my bulk while losing a small amount of BF. I have been working out for ~10 years, so I am not untrained; and started out at ~5% BF. I have never used bodybuiding or fat loss type drugs, and I have only used minimal supplementation. This supplementation includes ~3g of essential fatty acids per day and the occasional multivitamin/mineral.

I think a good method for minimzing fat gain is to eat only a small amount above maintenance calorie level so that you gain 1lb or less per week, do a lot of cardio, and carefully monitor progress. The slower you gain weight, the less likely you are to gain fat.

he said zero bf increase, not bf %. One cannot naturally completely shut off storage processes whilst in caloric surplus. However, if one gains predominantly LBM (with a smaller percentage of BF) than one could in fact lower BF% whilst increasing weight.
i certainly do not disagree about overweight or untrained persons gaining muscle mass whilst losing fat either. For a more advanced trainee however, gaining only muscle muss without adding *any* amount of fat is very, very difficult for most requiring extremely careful monitoring of progress and control over meal regimen.
I also defintitely agree regarding the slow rate of gain being very important. Muscle can only be formed so fast and exceeding that capcity for growth leads to undesired grwoth :D

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Can you recomend some other high protein low fat foods.

Have you checked out this grocery list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)?

aka23
06-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by the doc
he said zero bf increase, not bf %. One cannot naturally completely shut off storage processes whilst in caloric surplus. However, if one gains predominantly LBM (with a smaller percentage of BF) than one could in fact lower BF% whilst increasing weight.

The excess calories have to go somewhere, but they do not have to become stored fat. The excess calories can be used to build muscle. Building muscle is possible in a caloric deficit as well as a surplus. Several of the studies linked in my earlier post found this effect. So the excess calories and some of the deficit calories (from stored fat) can be used to build muscle. This makes it possible to gain weight while losing fat. When this happens, it usually occurs in overweight, untrained persons who are above their natural BF setpoint and gain muscle easily. It is theorectically possible for lean, trained persons as well. It is just very uncommon. Based on BF and weight measures, the amount of fat (not just %) decreased while my weight increased during the first couple months of my bulk and I was neither overweight nor untrained.

thutch90
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
When I first started working out. I had 36% body fat. I am at 24% almost year and half later. I still weigh 215. I would assume the weight is muscle weight that replaced the fat weight.

the doc
06-30-2003, 01:15 PM
interesting aka, this is certainly something that needs to be studied more. However, you have to understand my skepticism.

WillKuenzel
06-30-2003, 01:26 PM
I have to wonder about this too. Its possible for "assisted" lifters to do this then why would it not be possible to do it for natural lifters? I still think it highly unlikely unless the circumstances are pretty much close to perfect.

NPursuit
06-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by aka23

I agree and if your diet is dialed in perfectly than fat gain should be next to none. I'm also noticing a trend of people forgetting about the bulking phase and working towards Lean muscle mass gains throughout the year.

Check out some Beverly bodybuilders and say it can't be done.

booster1
07-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Well here is my diet: one can of dark red kidney beans, two metrx protein bars, 16 oz of yogurt, 120g of protein shake, 3 packs of oats, 500 cal of buckwheat. This comes out to be around 3000-3100cal and 230g protein diet. My stats are 151lbs and with about 8.5%bf on 5,9 frame...

bradley
07-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Well here is my diet: one can of dark red kidney beans, two metrx protein bars, 16 oz of yogurt, 120g of protein shake, 3 packs of oats, 500 cal of buckwheat. This comes out to be around 3000-3100cal and 230g protein diet. My stats are 151lbs and with about 8.5%bf on 5,9 frame...

Well just from the info you posted above it looks as though you are not getting in enough EFAs (healthy fats) in your diet. Try and get ~25% of your daily cals from fat. Some good sources for healthy fats would include things like fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc.

As far as your calorie intake goes, you would need to adjust it according to the amount of weight you are gaining each week. IMO you should shoot for ~.5lb weight increase each week. Gaining at a slow rate will help ensure that you are gaining mostly LBM, although it is quite possible to gain more per week. A more accurate way to judge your progress would be to get your bf% checked periodically.

If you list the content of each individual meal you would probably get more helpful feedback:)