PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lifting with a bodybuilding split

jiacstrap
06-25-2003, 03:00 PM
What day should I do olympic lifts on? Im doing cleans on shoulder day right now

Ja113
06-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Depends on what the rest of your split is...

I do cleans on leg day but that's me....post your routine.

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Trying to lift that way doesn't work on a "bodybuilding" split. In fact, nothing works on a "bodybuilding" split except steroids. For every natural guy you can show me using a "bodybuilding split" successfully, I can show you many more natural guys using a strength training split.

Like I've said before: Bodybuilding is for guys who don't mind jacking to the brim on steroids and dehydrating themselves. Normal people do strength training.

Blood&Iron
06-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever

Like I've said before: Bodybuilding is for guys who don't mind jacking to the brim on steroids and dehydrating themselves. Normal people do strength training.
Yeah, definitely.

BTW, I'm a little confused here:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=488264&highlight=Napa#post488264

http://www.usapl-ca.org/results/2003ScoringPLBPforweb.html

Care to explain?

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Sure. My name is not there. Any other questions or attempts at demeaning insinuations? I assure you my name will be there as it should be.

PowerManDL
06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
Well it still doesn't explain why you were the only 242 to lift on Friday.

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 05:00 PM
If what I said doesn't happen, by all means hit me with whatever you'd like.

Blood&Iron
06-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Sure. My name is not there. Any other questions or attempts at demeaning insinuations? I assure you my name will be there as it should be.
The question was hardly unreasonable given you're impressive rate of progress and the fact that you're not listed in the results.

You should thank me. I could have been a much, much bigger dick about it.

And until your name does appear on the list, your forgive me if I'm a little suspicious.

the doc
06-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Trying to lift that way doesn't work on a "bodybuilding" split. In fact, nothing works on a "bodybuilding" split except steroids. For every natural guy you can show me using a "bodybuilding split" successfully, I can show you many more natural guys using a strength training split.

Now c'mon SF, what the hell kind of statement is that?

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 05:21 PM
A biased one, admittedly. When folks say bodybuilding, the comparison is drawn to pro bodybuilders. Guys with massive arms, veins everywhere, definition so wild it's almost gross. And those guys are filled to bursting with steroids, and dehydrated so horribly it's unhealthy. So when someone says "bodybuilding split" what is their goal? To be huge, have veins everywhere, be lean and mean and have scary definition. And I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that's possible without the accompanying steroids and dehydrating.

Now when someone says "powerlifter" or "strength training" I think of massive guys with much less definition (sometimes if any at all), not many veins showing and often times not very lean. But these guys, as unimpressive as they may look, are lifting insane amounts of weight. And while a vast majority also delve into steroids, it's not a required tool to reach those levels.

That's more of what I was getting at. I didn't mean to pass on, either, that steroids were evil. I realize they're a tool that fits the job. I was just stating for natural lifter purposes.

the doc
06-25-2003, 05:27 PM
ok well your description of pro BBer is not something I'd dispute.

but from a drug free standpoint, one can be lean and somewhat vascular, yet look good no?

I myself train for both strength and asthetics. I'd say most people train for some combination of both.

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 05:29 PM
I'll buy. I agree. Maybe the world needs a new term for folks who want to work towards bodybuilding goals, but don't dabble in the goods.

drew
06-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by the doc
ok well your description of pro BBer is not something I'd dispute.

but from a drug free standpoint, one can be lean and somewhat vascular, yet look good no?

I myself train for both strength and asthetics. I'd say most people train for some combination of both.
I agree. I'm looking for a combo. Want to look good, and be sufficiently strong. With no sauce. :D

Paul Stagg
06-26-2003, 07:38 AM
There is a term.

Lifter.

the doc
06-26-2003, 10:04 AM
i like meathead

<------ meathead

jiacstrap
06-28-2003, 07:55 AM
I'll buy. I agree. Maybe the world needs a new term for folks who want to work towards bodybuilding goals, but don't dabble in the goods.

Dude all I meant was that im not doing like a westside or other type of routine. Im lift each muscle one a week (now im tinkering with that). My split right now is:

Chest/Tri
Quads/Hams/Low Back
Shoulders/Bi/Forarms
Upper Back/Neck/Calves

Im training for strenght more then anything for wrestling, I also play soccer/baseball

PowerManDL
06-28-2003, 10:49 AM
The point still stands. You're gonna have trouble finding a place to put them in.

Your best bet would be either on your "leg" day or your "back" day since that's where they'll cause the least conflict.

But it still won't be optimal.

Berserker
07-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg
There is a term.

Lifter. :withstupi
I am no expert. But I would do cleans on shouler day or back day. I would just make sure my shoulder and legs/back have enough rest. I wouldn't deadlift today and do cleans tommarrow.

As far as what I do. I do low reps for strenght on the big 3 and do higher reps on isolation and everything else. Sometimes low reps on shoulers and tris.
Not saying thats right, just what I do.
I do agree with SF most of what we do is strenght training, but that might be a little broad.