PDA

View Full Version : Hello. New Guy have a couple questions.

TWISM
06-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Hey guys and gals first post here on the forums.

Little background first I am 25 6' 4" and weigh 255 have a big frame, most of my weight seems to sit in the gut area, although its not really in any way very big at all.

I have been working out and seeing resutls for about 3 months now, I workout 5 days a week and have been trying to do my cardio ride (4 miles) at least 3 times a week.

My diet, has really hasnt been there, I just eat what I feel like, I would skip breakfest, workout at lunch, and then eat dinner. I just was never really hungry. I do consume a ton of water each day. I would hope that with me seeing results already that with more proper nutrition I will be able to get better results.

I am not sure if this was too much but I did gain 1" on my biceps in one month, I was pretty stoked, my wife mesaured my arms and they were about 15.5 then I told her to do it again and now they are 16.5 that was in about a month. We double checked each time we measured...so that was awesome to see. But like I said people are noticing and I am noticing my changes all on improper nutrition.

Couple questions..

1. Whats cutting?

2. Whats the proper % of Fat/Protein/Carbs to eat?

3. What should I use to calculate how much calories I need?

4. I dont think I need to bulk up, I am a big guy now, not fat, but my gut is there.

I dont really know if I should be concerned with my weight, I know I could be 255 ripped up, but I would like to lose my gut of course and just keep getting bigger...

TIA for your Help.

raniali
06-27-2003, 11:28 AM
if you aren't ripped now at 255 - becoming 255 and ripped requires you to add some serious muscle (which is possible).

cutting is the term used for "cutting fat" or "leaning out" - in layman's terms = dieting.

there is no set "proper %" to eat - each person works differently. but the guidelines are adequate protein (1g/lb bodyweight), sufficient EFAs (~25%) and fill in the rest of your calories with carbs.

there is also no set equation for calculating calorie needs. you could record what you eat now for about a week and average out your daily calories from there. if you are seeing gains, then you are eating ABOVE maintenance. if you are holding steady, you are AT maintenance.

#4 - isn't really a question.

TWISM
06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Oops, yeah #4 wasnt a question.

Thanks for your response. Maybe I will post a picture when I get my camera back and could get maybe a different POV.

Like I said I probalby have 20 lbs of fat in my gut. I really dont know, I would have to really take my shirt off for someone to really see.

Thanks again for the help.

bradley
06-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TWISM
Like I said I probalby have 20 lbs of fat in my gut. I really dont know, I would have to really take my shirt off for someone to really see.

Have you thought about getting your bf% checked? This would give you a lot better idea of how much fat you have to lose, and would also be a good way to track your progress from month to month.

3. What should I use to calculate how much calories I need?

Raniali is correct in what she stated above. Just record calories for a week and adjust cals up or down until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. The main think is to not try and lose too much too fast as this could cause LBM losses as well. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

Welcome to WBB:)

Dr of Golf
06-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley

You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

Bradley, thanks for that fitday site info. :)

And Welcome to the boards TWISM. :)

midee1
06-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Welcome TWISM

I myself am a relative newbie. My suggestion is to listen to these guys. They all offer some killer advice.

Anyway best of luck in anything you decide to do.:)

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Yes, you better listen to us :evillaugh

j/k. Welcome to WBB and good luck on your goals!