PDA

View Full Version : Can you consume "too much" olive oil?

JohnnyAutoParts
06-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Based on the diet plan I've drawn out for myself, I need to consume 128g of fat daily. Even though in WBB terms I may be "bulking" (I hate that word), I am trying to remain as lean as possible during this phase. Therefore I would like a good percentage of the 128g to be quality mono or poly-unsatured fat. I don't take a flaxseed oil supplement, so I won't be taking on 400+ calories in that department. I do take fish oil, but its calorie free (or at least I am 99% sure of this).

Therefore, I have pondered olive oil as being not just a source of meeting my goal, but a major source. I know each tbspn contains 2g of satured fat, but that doesn't seem like a big deal for the 14 or so grams of good fat that each serving also contains. The question: How many tbspn of olive oil am I allowed to consume daily w/o overdoing it, if overdoing it is even possible? Thanks guys.

Orange357
06-28-2003, 10:06 AM
I take in alot of olive oil ocasionally, but I remember ST uses olive oil as a main source of fats....it gets pretty bland though, so you may want to change it up with a little natty pb or whatever.

JohnnyAutoParts
06-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the response, but who or what is ST? The taste or repetitiveness of spoonfuls doesn't bother me. I'm just curious whether there is anything wrong with having 4-6tbspn a day.

Delphi
06-28-2003, 12:22 PM
ST = Severed Ties

body
06-28-2003, 12:43 PM
if you mix your olive oils with foods it will not be bland.

or get some basil or garlic infused olive oil.

i use quite a bit olive oil

pruneman
06-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Olive oil is an excellent source of EFAs. I would not recommend using it as your only source of fats though. Variety is the key to a balanced diet. Fish oil is a much better source of omega-3's (BTW it is not calorie free) For some variety, you might try nuts, Nautral peanut butter, salmon, or any fatty fish (tuna, herring, etc.).
You mentioned that you eat olive oil by the tablespoon. Do you mix it with food, or just on it's own? It is important to eat fat with your meals for several reasons. First, it slows the absorption of the other macronutrients. Second, it helps you feel satiated. And third, and most importantly, it is essential for the absorption of certain vitamines and minerals.
Remember, there is no magic food that will build you the perfect body. Variety is extremely important in a diet. I cannot overemphesize that.
well, i hope that was some help. Good luck.

JohnnyAutoParts
06-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the responses guys--some excellent info pruneman. While I do eat olive oil alone in a tablespoon, i have that tablespoon with meals.

You're right I checked my fish oil caps and there are 10 calories per pill. I wasn't planning on using olive oil as my only source of fat, but maybe having it account for half of my total fat calorie intake. I eat most of the other sources of fat you have mentioned, but for some reason i find it hard to reach 128g.

pruneman
06-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
You're right I checked my fish oil caps and there are 10 calories per pill. I wasn't planning on using olive oil as my only source of fat, but maybe having it account for half of my total fat calorie intake. I eat most of the other sources of fat you have mentioned, but for some reason i find it hard to reach 128g.

If your diet includes the other sources of fat and you are simply using the olive oil as a supplement to reach 128g then olive oil is a good choice. I have read that flax and fish oil are better sources of EFAs but they are also not nearly as palatable. I personally perfer other sources of EFAs to flax and fish oil and I only supplement with these moderately.

bradley
06-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pruneman
Olive oil is an excellent source of EFAs.

Olive oil does not contain any significant amounts of EFAs, but it is a good source of monounsaturated fat. Olive oil does contain a high amount of oleic acid.

bradley
06-28-2003, 02:11 PM
How many tbspn of olive oil am I allowed to consume daily w/o overdoing it, if overdoing it is even possible? Thanks guys.

The amounts that you have listed would be fine IMO. I would just try to make sure that you are getting a good ratio of n-3s to n-6s and then fill in the rest of your fat cals with olive oil if you want.

The Mediterranean Diet which has been in the news lately contains olive oil as a primary fat source, along with nuts.

JohnnyAutoParts
06-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Yes, Incubus is one of the best bands of the 90s....and Bradley, what is Oleic Acid?

bradley
06-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Yes, Incubus is one of the best bands of the 90s....and Bradley, what is Oleic Acid?

It is the monounsaturated fat that is found in olive oil, and has been shown to have health benefits.

the doc
06-28-2003, 04:35 PM
if you want all of the health benefits, amke sure it is only extra virgin olive oil.

Lots of anti oxidants!! These may actually be responsible for the some of the benficial effects of the med diet

Orange357
06-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by the doc
if you want all of the health benefits, amke sure it is only extra virgin olive oil.

I agree. the more virgin the better.;)

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 11:31 AM
I heard olive oil is good for your skin, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Manveet
07-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I was doing some research, found this link. It says olive oil is good for your skin, but it does not give any reasons.

http://www.garleo.com/page6.htm

Ironman8
07-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Question about Oleic acid: Is it the same thing as Olestra oil? Olestra is usually found in fat free chips.

bradley
07-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Question about Oleic acid: Is it the same thing as Olestra oil? Olestra is usually found in fat free chips.

No olestra is a fat substitute that is used to replace fats used in frying, baking, etc. Olestra is the name given to hexa/hepta/octa esters of sucrose which are formed using sucrose and certain oils. These substances can pass through the body without being digested or absorbed. Olestra can cause GI problems as well as block the absorption of some fat soluble vitamins and cause loose stools.

Woz
07-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Buy olive oil in dark bottles and keep it in a cool dark place. It can also be kept in the fridge to last even longer.

chops
07-22-2003, 04:06 PM
i noticed that ppl take their olive oil straight.

if i saute with it, does the heat change the properties of the nutritional value? i know frying with it turns it into transfat.

Tryska
07-22-2003, 04:11 PM
if you fry with olive oil, or any oil for that matter, and that oil reaches it's smoke point it oxidizes. which is not a good thing.

transfats are liquid fats, which have extra hyrdogen atoms added to their chains, and become solid fats. ie crisco, margarine, etc.

heating oil to below it's smoke point won't change it's nutrtional value.

noraa
07-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Even heating to its smoking oint, it takes TIME before trans fats are formed. One short frying session isnt enough time to produce significant amounts of trans fat.

AJ_11
07-22-2003, 11:37 PM
just mix some water in with it then the tempurature doesn't reach over 100 deg.