PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with beans?

manowar669
06-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I just used the last of the beans I had at home. I usually use canned red kidney beans. I drain them, and soak them 3 or 4 times to get rid of the salt (I also read that doing this removes enzymes found in the enclosed liquid that causes gas). I'm almost done cutting (I think). Are they high GI? They do not give me gas or anything. Lots of fiber. I like them. I do not see many people posting about beans in their diets, so what wrong with them?

raniali
06-29-2003, 04:48 PM
usually - they give people gas and the canned ones are full of salt. since you have seemed to overcome both of these obstacles, then enjoy them for a change of lower GI carbs. beans are very calorie dense - so just be sure you monitor the carbs and calories from eating an entire can.

bradley
06-29-2003, 05:22 PM
The reason that beans cause gas is because they usually contain carbohydrates such as stachyose, raffinose, and other similar carbohydrates that are resistant to the digestive enzymes produced by the body. This leads to the carbohydrates being broken down by bacteria in the colon which causes the gas, bloating, etc. that some people experience when eating beans. Products like Beano can help with digestion and eliminate the problems mentioned above.

If the beans do not cause you any digestive problems then I see nothing wrong with eating them. They are a good source of low GI carbs, fiber, and protein.

Saint Patrick
06-29-2003, 05:24 PM
:fart:

manowar669
06-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get more. I also have some dried lentils I plan to use.

Patrick-
Those little guys are just like me after my 6 egg-white omelette. I'm a biohazard!

Beast
06-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Beans are also NOT a complete protein, so you need to eat something in combination with them to get the necessary amino acids.

bradley
06-30-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by NDBeast
Beans are also NOT a complete protein, so you need to eat something in combination with them to get the necessary amino acids.

There really is no such thing as incomplete and complete proteins as most all proteins do contain all of the essential AAs, but some proteins are limited by their content of certain AAs. This is the where the term limiting AA comes from. If you are consuming a variety of proteins this should not be an issue, and therefor if you want an accurate measure of your protein intake you should count all the protein that you consume, including proteins from vegetables, grains, etc.

bradley
06-30-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by manowar669
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get more. I also have some dried lentils I plan to use.

I actually prefer using the dried beans as opposed to the canned ones. The canned ones contain a high amount of sodium as you mentioned, and are also more expensive than the dried beans. I used to cook up a bag of black beans at the beginning of the week and store them in the fridge. They are great with a little Mrs. Dash or you can put them on a salad:)

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 11:28 AM
What's better, pinto beans, red beans, or black beans?

bradley
06-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

I do not think one is necessarily "better" than another, that is assuming that they are prepared the same way.

The different varieties will have different macrobreakdowns and calorie content.

Beast
06-30-2003, 02:34 PM
I think when I compared them a while ago I remembered black beans having the lowest salt/carb values.

raniali
06-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast

I think when I compared them a while ago I remembered black beans having the lowest salt/carb values.

the question then becomes, does it really matter?

no

TiGeR AK
07-01-2003, 01:06 AM
oh yea.. beans beans, they're good for the heart...

aka23
07-01-2003, 09:42 AM

They have minor differences in macro and micronutrients. For example black beans have slightly more magnesium; pinto beans have slightly more folate and potassium; red beans have slightly more iron. I think these differences are insignificant. I would recommend getting the type that you think tastes the best. Another option is to eat different types of beans on different days.