PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Subway Diet?

technogeeky
06-30-2003, 11:42 AM
I was looking at the "subway diet" that Jarred Fogel used to loose weight.

I also noticed that he was basically starving himself.

Why shouldn't you use that technique to loose weight? It worked fine for him.

On a related note, I don't know if I'm losing or gaining weight. I will find out later today.

Tryska
06-30-2003, 11:46 AM
yup - he was starving himself. and he lost a low of weight.

and he still looks pretty much liek crap. kind of a smaller version of his former flabgby self.

you know what that means? he catabloized a lot of his muscle.

drew
06-30-2003, 01:43 PM
See what happens if he ever starts to eat somewhat normally again. *FAFWOOM*

fuzz
06-30-2003, 03:00 PM
It works fine, if you want to be skinny fat guy.

Silverback
06-30-2003, 03:17 PM
i think the salt levels contained in their subs is pretty damn high also.

Not to mention the implications on your wallet!!

You would be better off searching some of the past discussions on diets here on WBB and you will find a diet that suits your needs

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey, if you guys were in his shoes, would you think the same thing? :)

ChrisH
06-30-2003, 04:31 PM
I just quit subway today, new manager, and they CHANGED THE FLAVOUR OF THE SOUTH WEST SAUCE!!!? What the hell are they playing at, they added herbs to it or some **** like that.
AS for the topic, I don't like starving, all the people who've tried it end up looking smaller but still with horrible bodies because what little muscle they had is gone.

SoulOfKoRea
06-30-2003, 05:01 PM
why not?

he's not a bodybuilder.

technogeeky
06-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Hmm...

Not that I think I'll do it, but I'm just curious to see your opinions.

I want to be swole, not some skinny fat dude.

I need to find out how much weight I'm loosing.

Goosse_Man
06-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Get your BF done. From there you can figure out your lean body mass and after that you can put together a diet/exercise plan with the right amount of calories for you to retain the muscle but lose the fat.

You can then take bi monthly BF readings combined with your scale weight and it will draw an accurate picture of how much fat you are losing. Donít go by just the scale...it will lie to you!!!!

Itís slow going but worth it in the end when you donít have loose unsightly skin, horrible health, and no muscle mass. Iím extremely against the lose fat fast programs. Take your time and do it right!

Goose

technogeeky
06-30-2003, 05:37 PM
I don't want to eat 3000 calories a day, though. Not from a health standpoint, just from a comfort standpoint - it's difficult to eat that much food to me.

Oh well, I'll just keep trying.

Berserker
06-30-2003, 06:23 PM
If I was fat I wouldn't worry about losing muscle, just fat. That being said I doubt subs have enough protein for body building and to much carbs. There probably alright for the average person though.

harryhoudini66
06-30-2003, 08:06 PM
I did that diet once. All I ate was subway, pollo loco and yoshinoya. I did loose allot of weight. However, at the same time I looked sickly. I ended up loosing like 40-50 pounds in 4 months. Oh, I would also eat a yogurt in between snacks. I do not recommend it.

bradley
07-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
That being said I doubt subs have enough protein for body building and to much carbs. There probably alright for the average person though.

I agree and lacking in EFAs as well:)

bradley
07-01-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
I don't want to eat 3000 calories a day, though. Not from a health standpoint, just from a comfort standpoint - it's difficult to eat that much food to me.

Oh well, I'll just keep trying.

JUst try concentrating on more calorie dense foods, which will get you to 3000 calories without much eating at all.

If you are at a higher bf% then you can probably get away with losing weight at a faster rate than 1lb. per week, but I would stay away from the Subway diet:D

Budiak
07-04-2003, 11:11 AM
No, he's not a bodybuilder.

Yes, he lost a ****load of weight, but you know what? He still looks like **** with no muscle mass, just smaller than he used to be like T20000 said.

nejar462
07-04-2003, 01:29 PM
From what I recall Chicken Teriyaki Subs on wheat w/ 2X meat and Tuna Subs(hold the mayo) on wheat, with 2X meat are very healthy, healthy to the point where i could see someone base a diet around them and be successful. I think they each have like 70-80 grams of protein without an excessive amount of calories.

bradley
07-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by nejar462
From what I recall Chicken Teriyaki Subs on wheat w/ 2X meat and Tuna Subs(hold the mayo) on wheat, with 2X meat are very healthy, healthy to the point where i could see someone base a diet around them and be successful. I think they each have like 70-80 grams of protein without an excessive amount of calories.

Well the wheat bread is just enriched wheat flour and here are the breakdowns for the sandwiches mentioned above.

6 inch tuna
450 cals
22g fat
46g carbs
5g sugar
20g protein
1190mg sodium

6 inch chicken teriyaki
380 cals
5g fat
59g carbs
17g sugar
26g protein
1100mg sodium

The above does not include cheese which would add an extra 40 cals and 3.5g of fat, and if you doubled the meat the calorie content would be much higher per sandwich. These sandwiches might be fine when bulking, but IMO they are not something that you would want to base your diet around.

Sara
07-04-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't support subway unless your on a bulk I remember it helped me gain about 10 lbs of muscle mass about 2 years ago!! Still its HIGH in calories didja know that one 6-INCHsub averages at about 450 cals(don't read the nutrition labels thats minus the cheese mustard etc..) and a one foot can be between 800-1000 calories bad bad tuttut

Isaac Wilkins
07-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Sara
I don't support subway unless your on a bulk I remember it helped me gain about 10 lbs of muscle mass about 2 years ago!! Still its HIGH in calories didja know that one 6-INCHsub averages at about 450 cals(don't read the nutrition labels thats minus the cheese mustard etc..) and a one foot can be between 800-1000 calories bad bad tuttut

Note that I in no way support the Subway diet. I could tear it apart in many ways, some of which you've all covered, and I could add some extras.

That being said, the calories probably won't be a big deal the way that the "diet" works. Bear with me if I don't get it right, as I have long since dismissed it as foolishness. However, is not the diet something to the effect that you eat two foot-long Subway sandwiches per day? That would be in the neighborhood of 1600-2000 cals per day. Let's get crazy and say it's up to 2400.

Now, for you, Sara, 2400 calories per day is far from a cutting diet (though I think that you might want to bump calories, but that's an argument for another day. ;) ). However, for some generic 300 pound, 35% bf male couch potato maintenence is probably much, much higher than that. So for them, 2400 would be a pretty harsh cutting diet.

Hell, I cut at over 3,000 per day.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 05:09 AM
Just to throw this back out at you:

When I go to subway, I CERTAINLY do not eat 2 footlong sandwiches a day.

I eat at most one because I think they are a less health source of food than (pretty much) whatever else I could get.

That said, here is what I usually get:

Footlong Subway Club (roast beef, turkey, ham) -
debreaded (remove as much of the bread from the sub roll as possible.. about 40%, I'd think.
NO cheese. Mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, pepper, oregano

NO salt, NO mayo. (I don't like salt on stuff, and I don't need mayo)

It's pretty yummy. I haven't figured out how many calories are in there (because of the breaded/debeaded thing. I think if You take 2 6 inch clubs from their nutritional chart, subtract the bread out of there (they have the bread info on there) and add 60% of it back in, you'd figure it out.

I don't think it's that bad. The food certainly tastes good.

Let me know on this basis.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Borris

Note that I in no way support the Subway diet. I could tear it apart in many ways, some of which you've all covered, and I could add some extras.

That being said, the calories probably won't be a big deal the way that the "diet" works. Bear with me if I don't get it right, as I have long since dismissed it as foolishness. However, is not the diet something to the effect that you eat two foot-long Subway sandwiches per day? That would be in the neighborhood of 1600-2000 cals per day. Let's get crazy and say it's up to 2400.

Now, for you, Sara, 2400 calories per day is far from a cutting diet (though I think that you might want to bump calories, but that's an argument for another day. ;) ). However, for some generic 300 pound, 35% bf male couch potato maintenence is probably much, much higher than that. So for them, 2400 would be a pretty harsh cutting diet.

Hell, I cut at over 3,000 per day.

No - Jared's subway diet was 1 6" turkey sub, 1 6" veggie sub, 1 diet coke, 1 coffee.

That's it. His diet was simple starvation.

Isaac Wilkins
07-07-2003, 06:31 AM

No - Jared's subway diet was 1 6" turkey sub, 1 6" veggie sub, 1 diet coke, 1 coffee.

That's it. His diet was simple starvation.

Ok, so what I said, only much worse.

bradley
07-07-2003, 08:30 AM
That said, here is what I usually get:

Footlong Subway Club (roast beef, turkey, ham) -
debreaded (remove as much of the bread from the sub roll as possible.. about 40%, I'd think.
NO cheese. Mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, pepper, oregano

NO salt, NO mayo. (I don't like salt on stuff, and I don't need mayo)

It's pretty yummy. I haven't figured out how many calories are in there (because of the breaded/debeaded thing. I think if You take 2 6 inch clubs from their nutritional chart, subtract the bread out of there (they have the bread info on there) and add 60% of it back in, you'd figure it out.

A footlong Subway club has 640 cals with the bread making up ~400cals (depending on type of bread). That would put the sandwich you described above at ~460 cals which is definitely better than 640:)

I think what you are doing is fine, but then again I would just stick to eating Subway when in a pinch or for a cheat meal for reasons stated above. Packing your meals would be a much better option IMO, not to mention easier on the wallet.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 10:21 AM
I agree completely.

But sometimes you don't have the time or whatever - so it's good to know there is the choice.

Relentless
07-07-2003, 10:43 AM
yuo can get roast chicken breast (and most of their other meats) on a salad instead of on a bun at Subway... if you gotta eat there, I think that's a better option

Ironman8
07-07-2003, 10:53 AM
And you can add avocado for some extra EFAs :)

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Avacado is disgusting. I am going to try cottage cheese again as per your reccomendation, but I doubt I'll like it :)

Here's the (as close as I can get) breakdown for the sub that I eat (described earlier):

480 calories
80 cal from fat
10g fat
2.8 g saturated fat
70mg cholesterol
2320 mg sodium (holy cow!!! why is this so high!!!)
61g carb
5.6g fiber
10g sugar
42.4g protein
12% Vitamin A
62% Vitamin C
9% Calcium
52% Iron

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Oh - and as it turns out, I need to eat about 480 calories per meal, 5 meals a day. So that is perfect (except too high in carbs, not high enough in protein).

WillKuenzel
07-07-2003, 11:24 AM
My guess would be that the sodium content is so high from the deli meat. It tends to be especially high so that it can last longer. Those preservatives tend to really bump up the sodium.

technogeeky
07-07-2003, 11:28 AM
My doctor said not to worry so much about sodium - she said that I'm young enough that it really won't bother me. What do you think?

Ferdo
07-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Thats bull crap that companies can manipulate people like that. Saying that there is a "Subway DIet". What next a Kentucky Fried Chicken diet where you eat one piece of chicken and a diet coke per day. Sure you will loose the weight as the caloric deficit would be great. I agree with all these guys dont starve yourself, I did it when i was younger and ya i lost 50 pounds in one month and a half, but I lost a whole lot of muscle. 6 years later im still struggling to get rid of that loose skin that you get when you loose to much weight at one time. I was young and did not know what i know now. I cant stand when i see these these starvation diets out there being promoted that just have people yo yoing around because weight is not the issue, its the BF level.

WillKuenzel
07-07-2003, 12:31 PM
My doctor said not to worry so much about sodium - she said that I'm young enough that it really won't bother me. What do you think? Being that you are young, pretty healthy and that you tend to watch what you eat then I don't see it being that big of a deal. I wouldn't recommend it and it would probably be hazardous to plenty of other people but like your doctor said it probably won't be too much of an issue for you now. I would still tend to watch my sodium intake throughout the rest of the day because I wouldn't want too many of those massive sodium spikes too often.

MaFi0s0
07-28-2003, 02:24 PM
yea the subway diet is BS, it also makes people think subway is healthy wich it isnt, i know all my mates asumed subway was healthy but one of them works there and said its only healthy if you dont get cheese, sauce, etc.

someone showed me a soup diet, it is so stupid,
its another starvation diet.
if some of you wanna read it, im sure youd be apalled

http://www.aboutcabbagesoupdiet.com/

Berserker
07-28-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't think its that unhealthy, just not enough protein for bb. Nothing really that bad in it. Bread, cheese, meat, and some veggies.
Nothing wrong with cheese Mafosio, I eat a ton of cheese.

LAM
07-28-2003, 04:58 PM
I saw Jarred going into a Subway the other week, and he does not look healthy.

the "Subway Diet" is not balanced, and not very healthy. no healthy eating plan should be based on processed foods.

Berserker
07-28-2003, 06:22 PM
What so unbalanced about it for the average person? I don't think processed lettuce is gonna hurt anyone.
I am not saying its ideal, but I don't think its awful for someone not lifting weights.

ryan1117
07-28-2003, 06:35 PM
I could make a Big Mac Diet work if I wanted to.

TommyLee
07-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
No, he's not a bodybuilder.

Yes, he lost a ****load of weight, but you know what? He still looks like **** with no muscle mass, just smaller than he used to be like T20000 said.

That's true but we don't have to see him with his clothes off. In today's world a skinny, no muscle, flabby guy or girl is more accepted than an obeise guy or girl. I'm sure he is happier than he was a few years ago. If he is careful and does it right he could add plenty of muscle and tone up without the fat springing back up on him... right?

LAM
07-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117
I could make a Big Mac Diet work if I wanted to.

exactly !

Ti1301
07-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Make your own subway diet.
Make your own sandwhiches, it'l be much cheaper too.

bradley
07-29-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
What so unbalanced about it for the average person?

It is ubalanced due to the high amount of carbs and lack of EFAs.

I don't think processed lettuce is gonna hurt anyone.
I am not saying its ideal, but I don't think its awful for someone not lifting weights.

I agree it is not the worst fast food choice out there, but there are better ways to go about dieting than eating at Subway.

Shroud
07-29-2003, 05:29 AM
/laugh

Big Mac diet...I'm so there man!

Look at all that sodium in those Subway subs for starters. Skinny fatass is right imho.

Secondly (and this is especially true for someone overweight and doubly so if they're obese), you're not learning the necessary skills that allow you to structure a good diet through proper food choices regardless of where you are at a given meal. Eating like **** is what got people fat in the first place. Someone is going to get much better results that last and that can be repeated by taking the time to learn how to eat properly.

It's very telling when you go to the supermarket to shop for the ketosis phase and realize that you basically shop the perimeter and make the rare run down a central aisle for some cans of tuna etc. It's no wonder that the majority of Americans is obese.