PDA

View Full Version : whole food protein vs. shakes

ebrunner
06-30-2003, 12:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried cutting up using protein shakes, and at another time tried cutting using only whole food protein. If so, were you able to get leaner using the whole food approach?

I prefer to use shakes a few times a day for the convenience, but am willing to replace them if and only if it will help me get leaner.

Paul Stagg
06-30-2003, 12:24 PM
It doesn't matter much.
A calorie is pretty much a calorie.

ebrunner
06-30-2003, 12:33 PM
That's what I thought, but I heard that whole food increases thermogenesis to a greater degree than protein shakes due to the energy required for digestion.

WillKuenzel
06-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Why would you not want to eat whole foods? I'd rather bulk and cut on whole foods. Its easier and tastier that way.

Holto
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
two advantages of wholes when cutting especially meats is the calories required to digest them

also if you are eating lots of veggies and such I never feel full so a huge salmon fillet and some romaine lettuce makes a nice meal

ebrunner
06-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Convenience, cost, and taste. Easier to carry some protein powder/water than it is to pack/prepare chicken breasts. Whey protein is pretty cheap, too, compared to egg whites/chicken breasts. And it is easier for me, tastwise, to drink a protein shake than it is to eat a can of tuna.

Only reason I would go the whole food route is if the results were noticeably better.

NPursuit
06-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ebrunner
Convenience, cost, and taste. Easier to carry some protein powder/water than it is to pack/prepare chicken breasts. Whey protein is pretty cheap, too, compared to egg whites/chicken breasts. And it is easier for me, tastwise, to drink a protein shake than it is to eat a can of tuna.

Only reason I would go the whole food route is if the results were noticeably better.

If you are looking to take in a large portion of your daily protein from powder I highly suggest you invest in a blended protein source and not rely on whey alone.

bradley
06-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by NPursuit

If you are looking to take in a large portion of your daily protein from powder I highly suggest you invest in a blended protein source and not rely on whey alone.

I agree. The whey would digest too rapidly, and would probably end up being converted to glucose by the liver. Whole foods would provide a more sustained release of aminos as would a protein blend.

Also whole food proteins keep me satisfied much longer than a shake, which IMO is important when cutting:)

Ironman8
06-30-2003, 03:33 PM
When I was bulking, I drank ALOT of shakes to get my extra calories in. But, I also ate whole foods when my schedule was clear. So, it kind of a double-edge sword for me.

jixxxer
07-03-2003, 02:36 PM
when you say you should be taking a protien blend instead of just whey protien, what exactly are you talking about? What are some brands to get?
Thanks!

hemants
07-03-2003, 02:57 PM
The main difference is how filling they are.

Whole foods are more filling than shakes so if you are cutting, a meal will keep you full longer.

If you are bulking, however, it may be easier to add liquid calories without throwing up :)

bradley
07-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jixxxer
when you say you should be taking a protien blend instead of just whey protien, what exactly are you talking about? What are some brands to get?
Thanks!

A protein blend is a combination of various types of protein such as whey, casien, egg, etc., which allows for a more sustained release of aminos due to the different rates of digestion/absorption. A protein blend would be best used as a meal replacement or before bed, where as whey would be ideal pre/post workout.

I believe Optimum has a blend called Pro Blend 55 and I know that some Met-Rx products have protein blends. There are many different brands, and the easiest way to tell if the protein supp is a blend is by looking at the ingredients.

jixxxer
07-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Bradley. There is some great info on this board!

LAM
07-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by NPursuit

I follow up each of my whole food meals with 30-40 grams of whey/water. consumed about 20-30 minutes after the whole foods. you don't have to worry about the whey being rappidly digested or being oxidized that way...

Holto
07-04-2003, 10:06 AM
now that my blend is off the market that's how I do it also

PaulB
07-05-2003, 10:00 AM
nice big fat tuna steak in canola oil. how is protein shakes easier than that?!

NPursuit
07-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LAM

I follow up each of my whole food meals with 30-40 grams of whey/water. consumed about 20-30 minutes after the whole foods. you don't have to worry about the whey being rappidly digested or being oxidized that way...

That's an interesting approach. Makes sense!

NPursuit
07-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jixxxer
Thanks!

As Bradley mentioned Optimum makes a couple of decent blends. Some others to consider are.

Syntrax Isomatrix (popular but too much whey in my opinion)
Beverly Ultra Size (as good as it gets but you will pay for it)
VPX Micellean (same as Beverly)
Custom blend from proteincustomizer (Probably your best choice although I use the Beverly & VPX.)

The most important thing to look for is that any type of whey is not the first ingredient listed. If it is you can guarantee it is almost all whey. Egg and/or casein should be one of the first listed.